Re: [NH] Delete last request please!

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2004
      The last time I looked WS_FTP LE was no longer free. But that changes on occasion.
      Ed
      Message 2 of 13 , May 6, 2004
        On 6/5/2004 11:19, Ed Brown invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

        >The last time I looked WS_FTP LE was no longer free. But that changes on occasion.
        >Ed

        It is still free (there is no paid licence available for WS-FTP LE), but
        the licence restricts its usage to educational purposes in
        "degree-granting institutions." Noneligible users must buy the Pro
        version (or use another product, like the free FileZilla). The relevant
        paragraph on the licence is this:

        Ipswitch grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software free of
        charge for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY IF YOU ARE A STUDENT, FACULTY
        MEMBER OR STAFF MEMBER OF A DEGREE-GRANTING EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION
        (K-12, JUNIOR COLLEGE, COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY). Commercial use for
        training, certification or use by nonprofit organizations is not
        allowed. If you do not meet the requirements for free use of the
        Software, you can evaluate or purchase a license to WS_FTP Pro, a
        commercial version of this product.

        --
        Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        -=-=-
        Message 3 of 13 , May 6, 2004

          > >The last time I looked WS_FTP LE
          >>was no longer free. But that changes on occasion.

          I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
          some time ago. I liked it better than
          WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
          it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
          notification sounds!)

          I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
          GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
          from Sourceforg:

          www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

          FileZilla is a little more complex than WS_FTP LE
          but is MUCH faster, and the added features
          are useful. Try it.

          Mike Hopkins
          ironmike |AT| inav.net
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 13 , May 7, 2004
            > The last time I looked WS_FTP LE was no longer free. But that
            > changes on occasion.

            Here in the UK full versions, with no limitations, of WS_FTP Pro v7.6 have
            begun to appear on magazine cover disks. Perhaps that is why the LE edition
            has "disappeared".

            Greg
            Message 5 of 13 , May 7, 2004
              Hi Mike,

              Does FileZilla have a command-line like Ws_Ftp so that I can have
              my one click Clips in NoteTab?

              >I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
              >some time ago. I liked it better than
              >WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
              >it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
              >notification sounds!)
              >
              >I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
              >GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
              >from Sourceforg:
              >
              >www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

              Thanks!

              http://www.clean-funnies.com
              See ya in the funnies!

              sojourner.us/software, notetab.net, fookes.us
              http://www.purewords.org

            • lmh@hamiltongensociety.org
              Message 6 of 13 , May 7, 2004
                Jody,

                I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as extensive as
                Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has basically frozen the current
                program version and is doing a re-write/overhaul for the next version that will
                be more robust.

                I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.

                Larry Hamilton

                Quoting Jody <kjv-av1611@...>:

                > Hi Mike,
                >
                > Does FileZilla have a command-line like Ws_Ftp so that I can have
                > my one click Clips in NoteTab?
                >
                > >I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
                > >some time ago. I liked it better than
                > >WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
                > >it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
                > >notification sounds!)
                > >
                > >I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
                > >GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
                > >from Sourceforg:
                > >
                > >www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
              • Dennis Cummins
                Message 7 of 13 , May 7, 2004
                  On Friday, May 07, 2004 at 10:30, lmh@... wrote:

                  > I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as
                  > extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has
                  > basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
                  > re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
                  >
                  > I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.
                  >
                  > Larry Hamilton

                  I just recently upgraded to Cuteftp Pro. I wanted to be able to connect to
                  multiple sites at one time.

                  > Quoting Jody <kjv-av1611@...>:
                  >
                  > > Hi Mike,
                  > >
                  > > Does FileZilla have a command-line like Ws_Ftp so that I can have my one
                  > > click Clips in NoteTab?
                  > >
                  > > >I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
                  > > >some time ago. I liked it better than
                  > > >WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
                  > > >it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
                  > > >notification sounds!)
                  > > >
                  > > >I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
                  > > >GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
                  > > >from Sourceforg:
                  > > >
                  > > >www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

                  --
                  Dennis
                • John Zeman
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 7, 2004
                    --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Cummins" <sqd@c...> wrote:

                    > On Friday, May 07, 2004 at 10:30, lmh@h... wrote:
                    >

                    > > I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as
                    > > extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has
                    > > basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
                    > > re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
                    > >
                    > > I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.
                    > >
                    > > Larry Hamilton
                    >
                    > I just recently upgraded to Cuteftp Pro. I wanted to be able to
                    connect to
                    > multiple sites at one time.

                    Just to throw my 2 cents worth in on FTP clients in general, I also
                    have CuteFTP Pro although not the newest version of it which was
                    recently released. And I've been happy with CuteFTP Pro but about 6
                    months ago I switched to using Directory Opus for my FTP work. I use
                    Directory Opus for all my normal GUI file manager tasks so it just
                    made sense to use it for FTP as well, especially since it's part of
                    the package. I can't say I've tried to connect to multiple sites
                    with DOpus but I'd be surprised if it couldn't do it.

                    I also haven't tried the command line options for using FTP with
                    DOpus but I know it has them.

                    John
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 10, 2004
                      Hi Larry H. Jr., :)

                      I started to download and saw the 4+MB file and cancelled. :)
                      Maybe some other time. Actually, all I would want if I switched
                      would be a simple command-line driven FTP client, wouldn't even
                      need a GUI. Just a few basic switches and that would be it. At
                      least that is what I would want for one clickers in NoteTab. I
                      don't care for the FTP.clb much. Ws_FtpLE has been real good to
                      me for many years. Why fix something that is not broke, eh? :)
                      I just really like my one-clickers in NoteTab. Uploads the
                      focused document in the background (other than a tab on the
                      taskbar) and shuts down automatically when finished.

                      Does anybody use Leech? Did it ever start coming out with a
                      command-line feature.

                      >I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not
                      >as extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author
                      >has basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
                      >re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
                      >
                      >http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
                      >
                      >I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.

                      Thanks!

                      http://www.clean-funnies.com
                      See ya in the funnies!

                      sojourner.us/software, notetab.net, fookes.us
                      http://www.purewords.org

                    • Larry Hamilton
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 11, 2004
                        Jody,

                        The ftp.exe that comes with Windows is pretty versatile. I would imaging
                        with some well-planned clips one could do quite a lot with it.

                        I built a couple of regular batch files for work, for our clients to upload
                        and download files to our ftp site. Very few of our clients know anything
                        about FTP and building a batch file is easy to walk them through running.

                        ftp.exe can be given a command to read a file with all the commands you
                        want. It can display characters to indicate progress, or if you do not want
                        to see that, the window will just close when it is done.

                        Here are the command line options for FileZilla from help:

                        Command line

                        Description

                        FileZilla.exe [ftp://][user:pass@]host[:port][/dir]

                        connects to a server

                        FileZilla.exe -i sitemanager.txt

                        imports the file "sitemanager.txt" into the sitemanager (or any other
                        textfile if you want)

                        I see now that I play with it, it is only commands for connecting to the
                        remote site. At present, it does not appear that FileZilla will do what you
                        want.

                        HTH,

                        Larry Hamilton

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 11, 2004
                          Hi Larry,

                          >The ftp.exe that comes with Windows is pretty versatile. I would
                          >imaging with some well-planned clips one could do quite a lot
                          >with it.

                          Eric's Clips are quite easy to understand if you have ftp'd
                          before and know the basics. The problem seems to be the way
                          ftp.exe passes off the information (unless Eric's ftp.clb got
                          corrupt which I don't think is the problem). I can take the same
                          information and plug it into a half dozen ftp clients and they
                          all work fine. When I try the same in ftp.exe via ftp.clb it's a
                          no-go for % of the few dozen ISPs I've been on. Normally it is
                          just adding slashes in the host folder path that causes the
                          problem with many ftp clints. They definitely do not all work the
                          same. For instance, all the following may be correct depending on
                          the ftp client and it appears the ftp site.

                          webdocs
                          /webdocs
                          /webdocs/

                          Normally it seems that the middle does the best. :) Such as...

                          /notetab.net/wwwroot
                          /sojourner.us/wwwroot

                          In short, a leading forward slash, but no trailing forward slash.

                          If you have a suggestion, or see something I'm missing, I'm all ears.
                          Take, /sojourner.us/wwwroot, for instance and see what I've tried
                          till blue in the face:

                          /sojourner.us/wwwroot
                          sojourner.us/wwwroot
                          /sojourner.us/wwwroot/
                          sojourner.us/wwwroot/
                          wwwroot

                          It always comes back with a usname/password mismatch. I know they're
                          correct, so I do not think I am getting to the correct folder.

                          Tried also: /sojourner.us/wwwroot/html

                          Happy html'n!

                          www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com