Delete last request please!

  • john buchanan
    Message 1 of 13 , May 5, 2004
      Dear Gurus,

      Please ignore my last request for help. I found the FTP file in my recycle bin (did not occur to me that it would be in my "regular computer's" recycle bin--that's how new I am at this!) and restored it.

      But I still don't know why filling in the "FTP server setup" and the "Upload files" windows does not transfer my file to my ISP web page. How do I activate the transfer? Obviously, filling in the information in these forms is not all that is required to get the information onto my ISP's computer. What am I doing wrong?

      Thanks,

      John

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 13 , May 6, 2004
        Hi John . . . Glad you found and restored the errant file. BTW, I have
        never used the FTP in NoteTab. In fact, I never really noticed that it
        was there until your thread! I have always used WS_FTP. Works well and
        it's free!!

        Hang in there with learning how to code. IMO, Front Page should never
        be considered as an option. As you learn more, you will understand
        why. :)

        --- john buchanan <buchanan@...> wrote:
        > Dear Gurus,
        >
        > Please ignore my last request for help. I found the FTP file in my
        > recycle bin (did not occur to me that it would be in my "regular
        > computer's" recycle bin--that's how new I am at this!) and restored
        > it.
        >
        > But I still don't know why filling in the "FTP server setup" and the
        > "Upload files" windows does not transfer my file to my ISP web page.
        > How do I activate the transfer? Obviously, filling in the
        > information in these forms is not all that is required to get the
        > information onto my ISP's computer. What am I doing wrong?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > John

      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 13 , May 6, 2004
          The last time I looked WS_FTP LE was no longer free. But that changes on occasion.
          Ed
          Hi John . . . Glad you found and restored the errant file. BTW, I have
          never used the FTP in NoteTab. In fact, I never really noticed that it
          was there until your thread! I have always used WS_FTP. Works well and
          it's free!!

          Hang in there with learning how to code. IMO, Front Page should never
          be considered as an option. As you learn more, you will understand
          why. :)

          --- john buchanan <buchanan@...> wrote:
          > Dear Gurus,
          >
          > Please ignore my last request for help. I found the FTP file in my
          > recycle bin (did not occur to me that it would be in my "regular
          > computer's" recycle bin--that's how new I am at this!) and restored
          > it.
          >
          > But I still don't know why filling in the "FTP server setup" and the
          > "Upload files" windows does not transfer my file to my ISP web page.
          > How do I activate the transfer? Obviously, filling in the
          > information in these forms is not all that is required to get the
          > information onto my ISP's computer. What am I doing wrong?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > John

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 13 , May 6, 2004
            On 6/5/2004 11:19, Ed Brown invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

            >The last time I looked WS_FTP LE was no longer free. But that changes on occasion.
            >Ed

            It is still free (there is no paid licence available for WS-FTP LE), but
            the licence restricts its usage to educational purposes in
            "degree-granting institutions." Noneligible users must buy the Pro
            version (or use another product, like the free FileZilla). The relevant
            paragraph on the licence is this:

            Ipswitch grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software free of
            charge for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY IF YOU ARE A STUDENT, FACULTY
            MEMBER OR STAFF MEMBER OF A DEGREE-GRANTING EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION
            (K-12, JUNIOR COLLEGE, COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY). Commercial use for
            training, certification or use by nonprofit organizations is not
            allowed. If you do not meet the requirements for free use of the
            Software, you can evaluate or purchase a license to WS_FTP Pro, a
            commercial version of this product.

            --
            Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            -=-=-
            Message 5 of 13 , May 6, 2004

              > >The last time I looked WS_FTP LE
              >>was no longer free. But that changes on occasion.

              I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
              some time ago. I liked it better than
              WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
              it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
              notification sounds!)

              I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
              GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
              from Sourceforg:

              www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

              FileZilla is a little more complex than WS_FTP LE
              but is MUCH faster, and the added features
              are useful. Try it.

              Mike Hopkins
              ironmike |AT| inav.net
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 13 , May 7, 2004
                > The last time I looked WS_FTP LE was no longer free. But that
                > changes on occasion.

                Here in the UK full versions, with no limitations, of WS_FTP Pro v7.6 have
                begun to appear on magazine cover disks. Perhaps that is why the LE edition
                has "disappeared".

                Greg
                Message 7 of 13 , May 7, 2004
                  Hi Mike,

                  Does FileZilla have a command-line like Ws_Ftp so that I can have
                  my one click Clips in NoteTab?

                  >I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
                  >some time ago. I liked it better than
                  >WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
                  >it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
                  >notification sounds!)
                  >
                  >I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
                  >GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
                  >from Sourceforg:
                  >
                  >www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

                  Thanks!

                  http://www.clean-funnies.com
                  See ya in the funnies!

                  sojourner.us/software, notetab.net, fookes.us
                  http://www.purewords.org

                • lmh@hamiltongensociety.org
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 7, 2004
                    Jody,

                    I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as extensive as
                    Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has basically frozen the current
                    program version and is doing a re-write/overhaul for the next version that will
                    be more robust.

                    I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.

                    Larry Hamilton

                    Quoting Jody <kjv-av1611@...>:

                    > Hi Mike,
                    >
                    > Does FileZilla have a command-line like Ws_Ftp so that I can have
                    > my one click Clips in NoteTab?
                    >
                    > >I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
                    > >some time ago. I liked it better than
                    > >WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
                    > >it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
                    > >notification sounds!)
                    > >
                    > >I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
                    > >GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
                    > >from Sourceforg:
                    > >
                    > >www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
                  • Dennis Cummins
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 7, 2004
                      On Friday, May 07, 2004 at 10:30, lmh@... wrote:

                      > I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as
                      > extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has
                      > basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
                      > re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
                      >
                      > I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.
                      >
                      > Larry Hamilton

                      I just recently upgraded to Cuteftp Pro. I wanted to be able to connect to
                      multiple sites at one time.

                      > Quoting Jody <kjv-av1611@...>:
                      >
                      > > Hi Mike,
                      > >
                      > > Does FileZilla have a command-line like Ws_Ftp so that I can have my one
                      > > click Clips in NoteTab?
                      > >
                      > > >I gave up my ancient copy of WS_FTP LE
                      > > >some time ago. I liked it better than
                      > > >WS_FTP Pro, and had keept it around because
                      > > >it was simple and dependable (and had the coolest
                      > > >notification sounds!)
                      > > >
                      > > >I am now using FileZilla, A FREE-of-charge
                      > > >GNU licensed ftp client FREE-ly downloaded
                      > > >from Sourceforg:
                      > > >
                      > > >www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

                      --
                      Dennis
                    • John Zeman
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 7, 2004
                        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Cummins" <sqd@c...> wrote:

                        > On Friday, May 07, 2004 at 10:30, lmh@h... wrote:
                        >

                        > > I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not as
                        > > extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author has
                        > > basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
                        > > re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
                        > >
                        > > I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.
                        > >
                        > > Larry Hamilton
                        >
                        > I just recently upgraded to Cuteftp Pro. I wanted to be able to
                        connect to
                        > multiple sites at one time.

                        Just to throw my 2 cents worth in on FTP clients in general, I also
                        have CuteFTP Pro although not the newest version of it which was
                        recently released. And I've been happy with CuteFTP Pro but about 6
                        months ago I switched to using Directory Opus for my FTP work. I use
                        Directory Opus for all my normal GUI file manager tasks so it just
                        made sense to use it for FTP as well, especially since it's part of
                        the package. I can't say I've tried to connect to multiple sites
                        with DOpus but I'd be surprised if it couldn't do it.

                        I also haven't tried the command line options for using FTP with
                        DOpus but I know it has them.

                        John
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 10, 2004
                          Hi Larry H. Jr., :)

                          I started to download and saw the 4+MB file and cancelled. :)
                          Maybe some other time. Actually, all I would want if I switched
                          would be a simple command-line driven FTP client, wouldn't even
                          need a GUI. Just a few basic switches and that would be it. At
                          least that is what I would want for one clickers in NoteTab. I
                          don't care for the FTP.clb much. Ws_FtpLE has been real good to
                          me for many years. Why fix something that is not broke, eh? :)
                          I just really like my one-clickers in NoteTab. Uploads the
                          focused document in the background (other than a tab on the
                          taskbar) and shuts down automatically when finished.

                          Does anybody use Leech? Did it ever start coming out with a
                          command-line feature.

                          >I use FileZilla and it does have some command line options. Not
                          >as extensive as Ws_FTP, but will handle the basics. The author
                          >has basically frozen the current program version and is doing a
                          >re-write/overhaul for the next version that will be more robust.
                          >
                          >http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
                          >
                          >I like it and switched to it about 6 months ago.

                          Thanks!

                          http://www.clean-funnies.com
                          See ya in the funnies!

                          sojourner.us/software, notetab.net, fookes.us
                          http://www.purewords.org

                        • Larry Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 11, 2004
                            Jody,

                            The ftp.exe that comes with Windows is pretty versatile. I would imaging
                            with some well-planned clips one could do quite a lot with it.

                            I built a couple of regular batch files for work, for our clients to upload
                            and download files to our ftp site. Very few of our clients know anything
                            about FTP and building a batch file is easy to walk them through running.

                            ftp.exe can be given a command to read a file with all the commands you
                            want. It can display characters to indicate progress, or if you do not want
                            to see that, the window will just close when it is done.

                            Here are the command line options for FileZilla from help:

                            Command line

                            Description

                            FileZilla.exe [ftp://][user:pass@]host[:port][/dir]

                            connects to a server

                            FileZilla.exe -i sitemanager.txt

                            imports the file "sitemanager.txt" into the sitemanager (or any other
                            textfile if you want)

                            I see now that I play with it, it is only commands for connecting to the
                            remote site. At present, it does not appear that FileZilla will do what you
                            want.

                            HTH,

                            Larry Hamilton

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 11, 2004
                              Hi Larry,

                              >The ftp.exe that comes with Windows is pretty versatile. I would
                              >imaging with some well-planned clips one could do quite a lot
                              >with it.

                              Eric's Clips are quite easy to understand if you have ftp'd
                              before and know the basics. The problem seems to be the way
                              ftp.exe passes off the information (unless Eric's ftp.clb got
                              corrupt which I don't think is the problem). I can take the same
                              information and plug it into a half dozen ftp clients and they
                              all work fine. When I try the same in ftp.exe via ftp.clb it's a
                              no-go for % of the few dozen ISPs I've been on. Normally it is
                              just adding slashes in the host folder path that causes the
                              problem with many ftp clints. They definitely do not all work the
                              same. For instance, all the following may be correct depending on
                              the ftp client and it appears the ftp site.

                              webdocs
                              /webdocs
                              /webdocs/

                              Normally it seems that the middle does the best. :) Such as...

                              /notetab.net/wwwroot
                              /sojourner.us/wwwroot

                              In short, a leading forward slash, but no trailing forward slash.

                              If you have a suggestion, or see something I'm missing, I'm all ears.
                              Take, /sojourner.us/wwwroot, for instance and see what I've tried
                              till blue in the face:

                              /sojourner.us/wwwroot
                              sojourner.us/wwwroot
                              /sojourner.us/wwwroot/
                              sojourner.us/wwwroot/
                              wwwroot

                              It always comes back with a usname/password mismatch. I know they're
                              correct, so I do not think I am getting to the correct folder.

                              Tried also: /sojourner.us/wwwroot/html

                              Happy html'n!

                              www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com