RE: [NH] Have deleted FTP

  • Mark McLaughlin
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2004
      Hi John

      Just my 2 cents, but normally I'd use an FTP client like
      WS-FTP, or Cute FTP to handle all file transfer chores.

      So just use a normal dedicated FTP client appplication
      for file transfers to and from your server, and leave
      Note Tab out of that step.

      Use Note Tab to edit your html files.

      Cheers

      Mark McLaughlin
      Best Color Video Production CD-ROM Website Design
      mailto:mark@... Ph. 250-744-4111 Fx.
      www.bestcolorvideo.com/ 1021 Ridgeway Place, Victoria BC.
      " We Produce Videos & Internet Websites for YOUR Business "

      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2004
        Hi John,

        >"Unwittingly," for starters, I have deleted FTP from the toolbar
        >at the bottom of all of my web page attempts.

        Try looking in your recycle bin to see if it is there. If not,
        and if you cannot see it in the small Library name combo box
        above the Clips in any Library, then reinstall NoteTab and it
        will be installed again.

        >I have written a web page that I like, but every attempt to use
        >the FTP "program" over the last couple of weeks has failed.

        You'll need to write in and explain where you are starting and getting stuck at.

        >Maybe I'd have a chance of figuring this out if I could just get
        >back the FTP tab at the bottom of the web pages I'm editing.

        What you are calling the bottom of your web pages is called the
        Libraries bar. You can hide/show it from NoteTab's View menu. You
        can toggle the Clipbook open/closed with F4.

        Happy html'n!

        www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2004
          Hi Mark & John,

          >Just my 2 cents, but normally I'd use an FTP client like
          >WS-FTP, or Cute FTP to handle all file transfer chores.

          I agree. )

          Happy Camper,
          jody

          A merry heart doeth good like a medicine:
          but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

          See ya in the funnies! ;)
          http://www.clean-funnies.com
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2004
            John:
            > Maybe I'd have a chance of figuring this out if I could just get back
            > the FTP tab at the bottom of the web pages I'm editing.

            It sounds like you are talking about the libraries bar displayed at the
            bottom of the Notetab window. If I'm right and you've accidentally turned it
            off just go to the View menu and click Libraries bar.

            btw: I concur with the idea of initially using Notetab Pro just to edit your
            HTML files and save them to local disk; then use an external FTP client to
            upload to your website.

            When you're feeling more comfortable with the Notetab fundamentals you can
            add back the [FTP] clips library to the mix and having a better chance of
            understanding and correcting any problems you run into.

            Regards ... Alec

            > Just my 2 cents, but normally I'd use an FTP client like
            > WS-FTP, or Cute FTP to handle all file transfer chores.
            >
            > So just use a normal dedicated FTP client appplication
            > for file transfers to and from your server, and leave
            > Note Tab out of that step.
            >
            > Use Note Tab to edit your html files.
            >

            > Cheers
            >

            > Mark McLaughlin
            > Best Color Video Production CD-ROM Website Design
            > mailto:mark@... Ph. 250-744-4111 Fx.
            > www.bestcolorvideo.com/ 1021 Ridgeway Place, Victoria BC.
            > " We Produce Videos & Internet Websites for YOUR Business "

          • Rudolf Horbas
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2004
              Mark McLaughlin wrote:

              > Just my 2 cents, but normally I'd use an FTP client like
              > WS-FTP, or Cute FTP to handle all file transfer chores.

              My 2c: FileZilla (http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/) is a good open
              source choice ...

              > Use Note Tab to edit your html files.

              Agreed!

              @John,
              don't get frustrated over NT. Don't consider switching to FrontPage, if
              You _really_ want to learn how to build web pages.

              Rudi
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 8 , May 6, 2004
                I agree 100% the best teacher of HTML is hands on coding, and the best
                tutor around is NoteTab, If you don't know the code, the html-ar
                library will generally do it or show it to you, after a while you "know
                it" and can do it manually.

                I didn't know ANY html before I started ussing NoteTab, and now I have
                several large websites up constructed with NoteTab, and it is literally
                thousands of individual pages.

                Using clips still has me somewhat confused, but like html exposure to
                the process is educational.

                AND it is always nice to have a coach or two to smooth the rough spots,
                so THANKS to the coaches here who do that essential work.

                --
                ``

                Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
                If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
                and tell us what REALLY happened.
                ~~~~
              • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
                Message 7 of 8 , May 7, 2004
                  Most Notetab clip libraries are mainly for Notetab purposes, and we adapt them as
                  we go along. I make two of mine available, but others would have to adapt them
                  (but principles and methods may be detected). Use a blank page and see what a
                  clip does.

                  One of my biggest external uses is in launching DIRHTML via a clip which is a
                  website structure and links program. When done it launches a browser, I view
                  source and the result drops into NoteTab for clips that do large scale formatting
                  work that leaves me with my filelist.html webpage accesed from the homepages.
                  The process is stages semi-automatic.

                  http://www.enk.freeuk.com/learning/webwork/writing/htmlclip.zip
                  http://www.enk.freeuk.com/learning/webwork/writing/proclip.zip

                  Adrian Worsfold