Re: [NH] Good HTML To Blank Pages Overnight

  • nemesis432004
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2004
      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...>
      wrote:
      > Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
      > I agree with Marcelo,
      > hopefully you have a backup ... otherwise get cached copy quickly
      > off-line before it disappears

      Marcelo -- "... it doesn't look like a Notetab problem." I know.
      Desperate, trying anything. Good suggestion. There was a simulated
      power outage done that night, to test the UPS, but the guy who ran it
      says the two events can't possibly be related. Windows system went
      down as planned, auto-powered up as planned, iPlanet web server up as
      planned, all pages most recently modified discovered to be overwritten
      with binary code not part of the plan... Don -- Yes, problem was
      easily fixed with backup. Still don't know why it happened. Had
      to be related to the "power outage" somehow... I was really hoping
      someone here would let me in on the "x number of uses and NPL wipes
      your files hours after you've uploaded them" joke. Kinda like a
      Microsoft "egg," but not funny. Oh well, back to beating my head
      against the desk. Thanks anyway.
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2004
        you misunderstand my point ... hopefully you didn't wait too long
        go get a cached copy
        google caches and a number of other sites cache regularly ...
        go get cached copy before it is replaced with the blank pages

        google spiders us every two days and replaces content ...
      • nemesis432004
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2004
          Never even thought of that. I just checked half-a-dozen cached links
          and they still show the old pages before the binary overwrite so when
          Google goes-a-crawling again it should find the good pages, which were
          up within the day anyway (Took server down, expecting to find worm,
          trojan, virus. Something, anything. But no joy.) Really should pay
          more attention to the mechanics of Google. Again, thanks.