Re: [NH] &

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2004
      Yes, because & can mean something else, so it should always be named & or & will work also.
      Ed
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2004
        Using special characters for HTML is recommended but not always necessary. Most but not all browsers will have no problem with regular punctuation. However, the best thing to do is to use the special characters to create the symbols. This is one place that wysiwyg does a better job than most hand coders. The wysiwyg html writers always (as usual there maybe exceptions to the rule) special characters. Hand coders are a little on the lazy side or else have not studied that part of HTML writing. It is cleaner and neater and insures that all browsers correctly interpret the symbols correctly.. And in some instances that is the easiest way to create symbols. While webmonkeys are gone they still have some pages up. Try this for symbols. \
        http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/special_characters/ and another good one that details why special characters should be used for some symbols like a soft hyphen. See section 9.3.3 of http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#didx-soft_hyphen and one should take a careful look at all the W3.org has to say on the use of special characters. After all they are the people who tell us how to to write HTML. It is never wrong to use special characters.
        ed
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6, 2004
          & in a URL? As usual, it depends! If the URL is contained within HTML-code, it can be useful. It may even be necessary, depending on the characters following the &.

          Putting & in a URL in the address field of your browser, on the other hand, would make no sense. It would be expected to lead to "page cannot be displayed" .

          There are a large number of so-called escape codes for special characters, meant to be used in HTML-code so that the interpreter will not consider them to be part of tags and the like.

          Using & will cause the HTML-interpreter to display an & and not to consider it to be the start of a parameter specification.

          Using < will cause the HTML-interpreter to display an < and not to consider it the start of an HTML-tag.

          (If my message is processed by an HTML-interpreter, it will make no sense. Sorry.)

          Bruce

          ----------------------------

          Dear Jody,
          Just read these posts, and I'm not at all convinced that & should be
          changed to & in a url. I use a lot of links from AP and major
          newspapers in our pages and they all use & in the url without a problem. In
          fact, I get "page cannot be not displayed" when I replaced & in one of the
          links as a test.
          Cheers,
          Kathy

        • Mickster
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6, 2004
            Jody wrote :
            Does that mean that you would convert "non breaking spaces" into

            "e;non breaking spaces"e;

            or only in urls and such? (I just guessed at the "e;.)

            = = = = = = = = =

            Not unlike John, I also convert quite a few characters when creating HTML
            code, even though they may appear fine in most browsers.

            One of the main places that I use non-breaking spaces ( ) is when I'm
            creating text links for horizontal menus and want to have more than 1 space
            between the text as HTML automagically shows more than 1 space as a single
            space.

            Example :

            would appear on the web page as

            Contact Us | Home | Log Out

            While this code :

            href="home.html">Home</a>   |   <a href="logout.html">Log
            Out</a>

            would appear on the web page as

            Contact Us | Home | Log Out

            Another thing that I use   for is to keep empty table rows from
            collapsing. Placing a   in a cell makes the row appear as a "blank" row
            instead of collapsing and giving no visible "line break".

            = = = = = =
            Mick Housel
            "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
            pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
            used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" -
            Author : Unknown

            mickster-at-motomania.us
            http://www.mickhousel.com/
          • Ed Brown