Re: [NH] Good HTML To Blank Pages Overnight

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3 11:51 AM
      On 3/5/2004 15:11, nemesis432004 invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

      >Been doing web development for years using primarily NotePadLight
      >4.6a. Mostly HTML, CFML, CSS, JavaScript. Nothing overly fancy.
      >Recently did a multi-file search and replace -- one small piece of
      >text for another in about fifty files. Worked fine, tested fine,
      >uploaded using PCanywhere 8 fine. Web logs show users surfing for
      >hours afterwards, including doing searches. In-house, searchable data
      >posted to site afterwards, and checked to see it was there (so, no,
      >search results not cached). Next morning -- all files modified the day
      >before came up blank. Testing shows the files were replaced with
      >binary code, every character. Open in NTL -- blank. Open in Windows
      >Notepad -- blank. In browsers (NS 4.x, 7.1; IE 6) -- blank. Files not
      >saved that way. In fact, subsequent tests in NPL show no save format
      >available will produce blank files (the Mac options look to add some
      >control codes, but that was the only discernible change). No file
      >transfer/protocol options changed in PCanywhere. (Heh, didn't even
      >know how to do that, had to look it up. It can't be done with a quick
      >right-click or anything). Can't find a worm, trojan, virus that does
      >this, and the web server scans clean anyway (Norton, and downloaded
      >the latest definitions before sweeping). My only hope is noticing on
      >this group that others have posted of mysteriously blank files. No
      >solutions found in my initial searching. Turning it over to readers.
      >Any clue folks? Thanks.

      If the pages worked for a time after uploading, then it doesn't look
      like a Notetab problem. Seems a server issue to me. Whatever problem the
      server encountered only affected recently-modified files (maybe because
      they hadn't been backed up yet).
      I would ask the people responsible for the server if there was any kind
      of automatic "housekeeping" script running during the period the problem
      started. There's a fair chance that this could point to the cause.

      --
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos

      -=-=-
      ... All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.
      * TagZilla 0.049
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3 9:39 PM
        Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
        I agree with Marcelo,
        hopefully you have a backup ... otherwise get cached copy quickly
        off-line before it disappears
      • nemesis432004
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4 7:29 AM
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...>
          wrote:
          > Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
          > I agree with Marcelo,
          > hopefully you have a backup ... otherwise get cached copy quickly
          > off-line before it disappears

          Marcelo -- "... it doesn't look like a Notetab problem." I know.
          Desperate, trying anything. Good suggestion. There was a simulated
          power outage done that night, to test the UPS, but the guy who ran it
          says the two events can't possibly be related. Windows system went
          down as planned, auto-powered up as planned, iPlanet web server up as
          planned, all pages most recently modified discovered to be overwritten
          with binary code not part of the plan... Don -- Yes, problem was
          easily fixed with backup. Still don't know why it happened. Had
          to be related to the "power outage" somehow... I was really hoping
          someone here would let me in on the "x number of uses and NPL wipes
          your files hours after you've uploaded them" joke. Kinda like a
          Microsoft "egg," but not funny. Oh well, back to beating my head
          against the desk. Thanks anyway.
        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4 12:30 PM
            you misunderstand my point ... hopefully you didn't wait too long
            go get a cached copy
            google caches and a number of other sites cache regularly ...
            go get cached copy before it is replaced with the blank pages

            google spiders us every two days and replaces content ...
          • nemesis432004
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4 3:46 PM
              Never even thought of that. I just checked half-a-dozen cached links
              and they still show the old pages before the binary overwrite so when
              Google goes-a-crawling again it should find the good pages, which were
              up within the day anyway (Took server down, expecting to find worm,
              trojan, virus. Something, anything. But no joy.) Really should pay
              more attention to the mechanics of Google. Again, thanks.