Good HTML To Blank Pages Overnight

  • nemesis432004
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2004
      Greetings:

      Been doing web development for years using primarily NotePadLight
      4.6a. Mostly HTML, CFML, CSS, JavaScript. Nothing overly fancy.
      Recently did a multi-file search and replace -- one small piece of
      text for another in about fifty files. Worked fine, tested fine,
      uploaded using PCanywhere 8 fine. Web logs show users surfing for
      hours afterwards, including doing searches. In-house, searchable data
      posted to site afterwards, and checked to see it was there (so, no,
      search results not cached). Next morning -- all files modified the day
      before came up blank. Testing shows the files were replaced with
      binary code, every character. Open in NTL -- blank. Open in Windows
      Notepad -- blank. In browsers (NS 4.x, 7.1; IE 6) -- blank. Files not
      saved that way. In fact, subsequent tests in NPL show no save format
      available will produce blank files (the Mac options look to add some
      control codes, but that was the only discernible change). No file
      transfer/protocol options changed in PCanywhere. (Heh, didn't even
      know how to do that, had to look it up. It can't be done with a quick
      right-click or anything). Can't find a worm, trojan, virus that does
      this, and the web server scans clean anyway (Norton, and downloaded
      the latest definitions before sweeping). My only hope is noticing on
      this group that others have posted of mysteriously blank files. No
      solutions found in my initial searching. Turning it over to readers.
      Any clue folks? Thanks.
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2004
        On 3/5/2004 15:11, nemesis432004 invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

        >Been doing web development for years using primarily NotePadLight
        >4.6a. Mostly HTML, CFML, CSS, JavaScript. Nothing overly fancy.
        >Recently did a multi-file search and replace -- one small piece of
        >text for another in about fifty files. Worked fine, tested fine,
        >uploaded using PCanywhere 8 fine. Web logs show users surfing for
        >hours afterwards, including doing searches. In-house, searchable data
        >posted to site afterwards, and checked to see it was there (so, no,
        >search results not cached). Next morning -- all files modified the day
        >before came up blank. Testing shows the files were replaced with
        >binary code, every character. Open in NTL -- blank. Open in Windows
        >Notepad -- blank. In browsers (NS 4.x, 7.1; IE 6) -- blank. Files not
        >saved that way. In fact, subsequent tests in NPL show no save format
        >available will produce blank files (the Mac options look to add some
        >control codes, but that was the only discernible change). No file
        >transfer/protocol options changed in PCanywhere. (Heh, didn't even
        >know how to do that, had to look it up. It can't be done with a quick
        >right-click or anything). Can't find a worm, trojan, virus that does
        >this, and the web server scans clean anyway (Norton, and downloaded
        >the latest definitions before sweeping). My only hope is noticing on
        >this group that others have posted of mysteriously blank files. No
        >solutions found in my initial searching. Turning it over to readers.
        >Any clue folks? Thanks.

        If the pages worked for a time after uploading, then it doesn't look
        like a Notetab problem. Seems a server issue to me. Whatever problem the
        server encountered only affected recently-modified files (maybe because
        they hadn't been backed up yet).
        I would ask the people responsible for the server if there was any kind
        of automatic "housekeeping" script running during the period the problem
        started. There's a fair chance that this could point to the cause.

        --
        Marcelo de Castro Bastos

        -=-=-
        ... All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.
        * TagZilla 0.049
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2004
          Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
          I agree with Marcelo,
          hopefully you have a backup ... otherwise get cached copy quickly
          off-line before it disappears
        • nemesis432004
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2004
            --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...>
            wrote:
            > Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
            > I agree with Marcelo,
            > hopefully you have a backup ... otherwise get cached copy quickly
            > off-line before it disappears

            Marcelo -- "... it doesn't look like a Notetab problem." I know.
            Desperate, trying anything. Good suggestion. There was a simulated
            power outage done that night, to test the UPS, but the guy who ran it
            says the two events can't possibly be related. Windows system went
            down as planned, auto-powered up as planned, iPlanet web server up as
            planned, all pages most recently modified discovered to be overwritten
            with binary code not part of the plan... Don -- Yes, problem was
            easily fixed with backup. Still don't know why it happened. Had
            to be related to the "power outage" somehow... I was really hoping
            someone here would let me in on the "x number of uses and NPL wipes
            your files hours after you've uploaded them" joke. Kinda like a
            Microsoft "egg," but not funny. Oh well, back to beating my head
            against the desk. Thanks anyway.
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2004
              you misunderstand my point ... hopefully you didn't wait too long
              go get a cached copy
              google caches and a number of other sites cache regularly ...
              go get cached copy before it is replaced with the blank pages

              google spiders us every two days and replaces content ...
            • nemesis432004
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2004
                Never even thought of that. I just checked half-a-dozen cached links
                and they still show the old pages before the binary overwrite so when
                Google goes-a-crawling again it should find the good pages, which were
                up within the day anyway (Took server down, expecting to find worm,
                trojan, virus. Something, anything. But no joy.) Really should pay
                more attention to the mechanics of Google. Again, thanks.