Windows XP Home

  • Warner Hughes
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27 10:33 AM
      New computer came with XP Home. I'm so far unable to "View in browser" any pages converted to html. The "View" button on the toolbar is inactive. Is that because Personal Web Server is not supported by XP Home? Is there a cheaper alternative than switching to XP Pro? I haven't tried taking it off my 98 disk, but MS says it wouldn't work anyway.
      Ed

      ---

    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27 1:39 PM
        On 27/4/2004 14:33, Warner Hughes invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

        >New computer came with XP Home. I'm so far unable to "View in browser" any pages converted to html. The "View" button on the toolbar is inactive. Is that because Personal Web Server is not supported by XP Home? Is there a cheaper alternative than switching to XP Pro? I haven't tried taking it off my 98 disk, but MS says it wouldn't work anyway.

        I DON'T think that is the problem. I don't have the Personal Web Server
        installed in my computer and I have no problems loading HTML files
        either in Internet Explorer or in Mozilla (which is setup as my "other"
        web browser in Notetab, despite being in fact my primary browser. I
        hardly ever use IE for browsing nowadays. But I digress...)

        What is probably happening is that Notetab can't figure out what and
        where is your Web browser. Try forcing it by setting up your browser in
        View/Options/Internet.

        You might also have a corrupted/missing browsers.dat file in your
        Notetab folder. It should, at the very least, have this block right on
        the top (it may have other blocks for other browsers. Mine has blocks
        for Opera, Mozilla and Firefox):

        [ie]
        Command=iexplore.exe -nohome
        UseDDE=1
        Application=IExplore
        DdeCommand=
        DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
        Topic=WWW_OpenURL
        Application_New=
        DdeExec_New=
        Topic_New=

        -- <cid:part1.01060004.08010703@...>
        Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        -=-=-
        ... All true wisdom is found on T-Shirts.
        * TagZilla 0.049
      • Warner Hughes
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27 2:36 PM
          That did it, and thanks.

          On 27/4/2004 14:33, Warner Hughes invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

          >New computer came with XP Home. I'm so far unable to "View in browser" any pages converted to html. The "View" button on the toolbar is inactive. Is
          You might also have a corrupted/missing browsers.dat file in your
          Notetab folder. It should, at the very least, have this block right on
          the top (it may have other blocks for other browsers. Mine has blocks
          for Opera, Mozilla and Firefox):

          [ie]
          Command=iexplore.exe -nohome
          UseDDE=1
          Application=IExplore
          DdeCommand=
          DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
          Topic=WWW_OpenURL
          Application_New=
          DdeExec_New=
          Topic_New=

          -- <cid:part1.01060004.08010703@...>
          Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          -=-=-
          ... All true wisdom is found on T-Shirts.
          * TagZilla 0.049

          ---

        • Magus Thomas
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28 4:42 PM
            From: Warner Hughes

            New computer came with XP Home. I'm so far unable to "View in browser" any pages converted to html. The "View" button on the toolbar is inactive. Is that because Personal Web Server is not supported by XP Home?

            + I am not entirely sure about what you mean. I have Windows XP on my E-machine (and to my disappointment can load no other operating system on it). It has come with both Internet Explorer and Netscape as part of the installation. So again, I don't understand your problem. If you mean you cannot call up your browser from NoteTab, you will want to call up your options dialogue and tell NoteTab where your browser programs are located. +

            Well, another 2¢ into the orphaned dragon fund.

            For the Love of Lucifer and Aradia .

            Magus Thomas Potter:
            Order of pen-Dreig
            An authentic copper coin is better than a false gold coin. [Káma Sútra]

            My Personal Profile is at
            » http://www.geocities.com/thebronzdragon/profile_0304.html