Japanese Text

  • pickypoet
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2004
      Hi all,

      I'm doing a site which requires a lot of Japanese text but am having
      problems inputting the Japanese. All I get are a load of
      ??????????????? in the place where the Japanese should be.

      Have any of you had this problem before and if so, what did you do to
      solve it?

      Cheers for any help.

      Rich
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2004
        On 23/4/2004 11:31, pickypoet invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

        >Hi all,
        >
        >I'm doing a site which requires a lot of Japanese text but am having
        >problems inputting the Japanese. All I get are a load of
        >??????????????? in the place where the Japanese should be.
        >
        >Have any of you had this problem before and if so, what did you do to
        >solve it?

        Hmmm, I never tried to do that, but this IS kinda sticky. The problem
        here is that Japanese requires a special character set. You might try to
        set the default Notetab font to Arial-Unicode or any other Unicode-able
        font (rule of the thumb: look at the file size for the font. If it's
        VERY large, there is a good chance that it includes Unicode). Don't
        forget to set the text-encoding on the pages to Unicode too...

        --
        Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        -=-=-
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2004
          NoteTab Pro's input control does not handle variable width fonts, however
          NoteTab Light and NoteTab Standard share the same input control the CAN
          handle this type of font.

          The following link shows the comparison chart between all version of
          NoteTab:

          http://www.notetab.com/chart.php

          HTH,

          Larry Hamilton
          > On 23/4/2004 11:31, pickypoet invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
          >
          > >Hi all,
          > >
          > >I'm doing a site which requires a lot of Japanese text but am having
          > >problems inputting the Japanese. All I get are a load of
          > >??????????????? in the place where the Japanese should be.
          > >
          > >Have any of you had this problem before and if so, what did you do to
          > >solve it?
          > >

          > Hmmm, I never tried to do that, but this IS kinda sticky. The problem
          > here is that Japanese requires a special character set. You might try to
          > set the default Notetab font to Arial-Unicode or any other Unicode-able
          > font (rule of the thumb: look at the file size for the font. If it's
          > VERY large, there is a good chance that it includes Unicode). Don't
          > forget to set the text-encoding on the pages to Unicode too...
          >
          > --
          > Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          > -=-=-
          > ... [ ** Brevity deleted for Text ** ]
          > * TagZilla 0.049
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • picky poet
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 24, 2004
            I got a message from Jody that confirms what you say,
            Larry. The solution lies in downloading the Japanese
            lite version.

            Thanks to yourself and Marcelo for replying.

            Richard