DOCTYPE and HTMLTidy error

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 17, 2004
      NoteTab's default DOCTYPE for XHTML 1.0 Transitional is:

      <?xml version="1.0"?>

      Since <?xml version="1.0"?> throws IE into quirks mode, I have
      eliminated it and all is OK.

      However, I have been told that the following would be better:

      But when I use that xmlns, HTMLTidy throws up this error:

      line 3 column 1 - Warning: <html> has XML attribute "xml:lang"

      Anyone have any thoughts on this?

      Thanks.

      sisterscape

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 17, 2004
        On 17/3/2004 18:36, sisterscape invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

        >NoteTab's default DOCTYPE for XHTML 1.0 Transitional is:
        >
        ><?xml version="1.0"?>
        ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
        >"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
        >
        >Since <?xml version="1.0"?> throws IE into quirks mode, I have
        >eliminated it and all is OK.
        >
        >However, I have been told that the following would be better:
        >
        ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
        >"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
        >
        >But when I use that xmlns, HTMLTidy throws up this error:
        >
        >line 3 column 1 - Warning: <html> has XML attribute "xml:lang"
        >
        >Anyone have any thoughts on this?

        First of all, of course, the obvious... which version of HTMLTidy are
        you using? I have used a bunch of them over the last couple years, and I
        have seen changes on how it deals with DOCTYPEs and XML tags.

        On an unrelated note: does anybody else has trouble with Notetab *not*
        showing HTMLTidy's error report... even when you *know* there are errors
        (because you deliberately inserted them to try and force an error report)?

        --
        Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 17, 2004
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          <mcblista@t...> wrote:

          > On an unrelated note: does anybody else has trouble with Notetab
          *not*
          > showing HTMLTidy's error report... even when you *know* there are
          errors
          > (because you deliberately inserted them to try and force an error
          report)?

          > --
          > Marcelo de Castro Bastos

          When I was using Tidy's error report I never had a problem with
          NoteTab displaying it. But then again I was calling Tidy from a clip
          that also manually opened the error report (^!Open "C:\Program
          Files\NoteTab Pro\StdError.err") immediately after the Tidying so it
          could send me a "ding" tone if there were no errors, and a "bong"
          tone if there were errors. Doing it that way I never had a problem
          with the Tidy error report opening.

          Then a few months ago it sunk into my thick skull that since I also
          have the more powerful CSE HTML Validator Pro software to check for
          errors, that I should be using that instead of the Tidy error report
          after Tidying, so I rewrote my clip to do just that..

          All was fine and dandy in the land of Oz for awhile until I
          downloaded and installed the newest version of the Validator
          (6.5xx).. Once I did that NoteTab no longer recognized the CSE
          Validator. Sooooooo in order to make my Tidy/Validator clip work, I
          now have two versions of the Validator installed, 6.5 for stand alone
          checking, and 6.0 which NoteTab still recognizes..

          Ain't life grand?

          John
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 17, 2004
            <mcblista@t...> wrote:
            > On 17/3/2004 18:36, sisterscape wrote:
            >
            > First of all, of course, the obvious... which version of HTMLTidy
            are
            > you using? I have used a bunch of them over the last couple years,
            and I
            > have seen changes on how it deals with DOCTYPEs and XML tags.

            I am using NoteTab Light 4.95 - I just upgraded a while ago so I
            think it is current. The DOCTYPE glitch also happened with the
            previous version. Is there any way I can alter the code to make the
            error go away?

            > On an unrelated note: does anybody else has trouble with Notetab
            *not*
            > showing HTMLTidy's error report... even when you *know* there are
            errors
            > (because you deliberately inserted them to try and force an error
            report)?

            FWIW, when HTMLTidy OKs my code, it always passes the W3C Validator.
          • Mike Hopkins
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 17, 2004
              NoteTab 4.95 is great, but what version of <<HTML Tidy>> are
              you using?
              Tidy is a seperate program from NoteTab.

              When you click on the Tidy button on the HTML toolbar, do
              you select the
              "Use HTML Tidy program (more options) or do you select "Use
              NoteTab commands (much faster)? The HTML Tidy option uses
              the external Tidy program and its config file, while the
              NoteTab option uses Tidy with a set of commands built into
              NoteTab.

              You can set options in the Tidy.cfg file by editing it
              manually (in NT, as it is just a text file.) You can also
              Google and download one of the Tidy GUIs which make setting
              the options much easier. (ex:TidyGUI or Tidy UI.)

              Tidy itself is available from sourceforge.net. Be sure to
              get the version for your system.

              Mike Hopkins
              ironmike/AT\inav.net

              Sponsor ---------------------~-->
              > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson,
              Canon or Lexmark
              > Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to
              the US & Canada.
              > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/CefplB/TM

            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 18, 2004
                --- Mike Hopkins <ironmike@...> wrote:

                Hi Mike . . . thanks for responding.

                > NoteTab 4.95 is great, but what version of <<HTML Tidy>> are
                > you using?
                > Tidy is a seperate program from NoteTab.

                I have been using the original Tidy program with NoteTab on WinME for
                years. After reading your note, I downloaded and tried two other
                versions. They didn't mess with the header but put some unwanted
                comments around the @import style.css. Plus they did really weird
                things with the spacing between <div>s. Seems I can't win.

                > When you click on the Tidy button on the HTML toolbar, do
                > you select the
                > "Use HTML Tidy program (more options) or do you select "Use
                > NoteTab commands (much faster)? The HTML Tidy option uses
                > the external Tidy program and its config file, while the
                > NoteTab option uses Tidy with a set of commands built into
                > NoteTab.

                So how do I get a Tidy button on the toolbar or find those options
                elsewhere? I looked all over but no luck.

                > You can set options in the Tidy.cfg file by editing it
                > manually (in NT, as it is just a text file.) You can also
                > Google and download one of the Tidy GUIs which make setting
                > the options much easier. (ex:TidyGUI or Tidy UI.)

                I'll check out the TidyGUI next. Anyother suggestion?

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 18, 2004
                  On my machine the Tidy button is on the clipbar "HTML 2"
                  under the view>>clipbars menu selection. The button is the
                  left-most one, two to the left of an omega symbol. I don't
                  think window size will effect the location.
                  If NT can't find your Tidy the Tidy button will give you and
                  error and ask
                  you to install Tidy. At least a shortcut to Tidy should be
                  in your NT folder.

                  Mike Hopkins
                  ironmike/AT\inav.nev

                  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 18, 2004
                    Sisterscape NoteTab Light doesn't support Clipbars so Mike's reply
                    probably won't make sense to you. You can only put custom clip
                    commands on a Clipbar, not on the toolbar. Still, you can run the
                    clip he mentioned the old fashioned way by double clicking on it in
                    the left side pane. Assuming you can find it that is.

                    John
                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 18, 2004
                      --- John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
                      > Sisterscape NoteTab Light doesn't support Clipbars so Mike's reply
                      > probably won't make sense to you. You can only put custom clip
                      > commands on a Clipbar, not on the toolbar. Still, you can run the
                      > clip he mentioned the old fashioned way by double clicking on it in
                      > the left side pane. Assuming you can find it that is.
                      >
                      > John

                      I usually run HTML Tidy from the Tools dropdown or Ctrl + F7. I did
                      find another instance in the Utilities library under "Internet" but it
                      wants to tidy all open docs from there instead of just the current one.

                      I was hoping for a nice little icon on the toolbar that would be just a
                      click away. Oh well . . .

                      Anyway to fix the problem in my oiginal post with Tidy not liking the
                      xml:lang="en" declaration?

                      sisterscape

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Mike Hopkins
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 18, 2004
                        The DOCTYPE declaration on my NTP template is:

                        <?xml version="1.0"?>

                        But I can't frankly tell you it is correct. I know I have
                        altered other content in the template and this may have also
                        been altered.

                        Is this where your "...:EN" statement is located? I've
                        deleted your original
                        post.

                        The contents of the NTP templates are located in the
                        Templates folder under the NoteTab main folder. You can edit
                        any way you need to and the NEW HTML Document button will
                        produce a copy of the template.

                        Come on folks, we need some help here!

                        Mike Hopkins
                        ironmike/AT\inav.net

                        > I was hoping for a nice little icon on the toolbar that
                        would be just a
                        > click away. Oh well . . .
                        >
                        > Anyway to fix the problem in my oiginal post with Tidy not
                        liking the
                        > xml:lang="en" declaration?
                        >
                        > sisterscape
                      • John Zeman
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 19, 2004
                          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Hopkins" <ironmike@i...> wrote:

                          > Come on folks, we need some help here!

                          Well sisterscape, I didn't jump into this before as I do very little
                          in XML and XHTML, but I did run your doctype and your html element
                          through the CSE Validator Pro and it had no problems whatsoever with
                          your two lines. From the Validator's help files here is their
                          recommended list of doctypes and yours is one of them (4th from
                          last) I double spaced the doctypes due to their length.

                          <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
                          4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
                          4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/strict.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
                          Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
                          Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/loose.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
                          Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
                          Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
                          Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/frameset.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
                          4.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
                          Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
                          Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/frameset.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
                          Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
                          Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-
                          transitional.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
                          Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML Basic
                          1.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basic10.dtd">

                          <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML
                          1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

                          The Validator's default configuration also says:

                          "Displays a comment message for XHTML documents if the "html" element
                          was used without an XML declaration"

                          Which tells me your html element of

                          Is legitimate as well.

                          So you can disable or disregard Tidy's warning about that.

                          John
                        • sisterscape
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 19, 2004
                            I know that DOCTYPE and html element is correct and the one that I'd
                            prefer to use. Problem is that when Tidy calls an error, I need to
                            check it out just to make sure it's not something else. When HTML Tidy
                            doesn't find an error, there is no report at all and I can just move on
                            to the next doc. As I am checking many xhtml files, it is a PITA to
                            have to keep checking the errors when there are none.

                            I'll try changing the template as Mike suggests and see if that will
                            allow Tidy to accept <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
                            xml:lang="en" lang="en"> without calling an error.

                            If that diesn't work, just how would I disable Tidy's warning about
                            that?

                            Thanks for all your suggestions/comments.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • John Zeman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 19, 2004
                              --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...> wrote:

                              > If that diesn't work, just how would I disable Tidy's warning about
                              > that?
                              >
                              > Thanks for all your suggestions/comments.
                              >
                              > sisterscape

                              Well I suspect it depends on your version of Tidy, and I'm not so
                              sure how NoteTab Light plays into the equation as opposed to Pro, but
                              I was able to disable the automatic error report by assigning an
                              error output file for all errors in my Tidy.cfg file.

                              In tidy.cfg I added this line:
                              error-file: c:\temp\tidyerr.log

                              Any errors Tidy finds are output to c:\temp\tidyerr.log instead of
                              stderr so it doesn't nag me about the errors.

                              Of course c:\temp must be a valid path or Tidy defaults back to stderr

                              John
                            • sisterscape
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 19, 2004
                                Oh, I want to see the errors. Just not the one tagging xml:lang="en".
                                Can do?

                                --- John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
                                > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...>
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                > > If that doesn't work, just how would I disable Tidy's warning about
                                > > that?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks for all your suggestions/comments.
                                > >
                                > > sisterscape
                                > >

                                > Well I suspect it depends on your version of Tidy, and I'm not so
                                > sure how NoteTab Light plays into the equation as opposed to Pro, but
                                >
                                > I was able to disable the automatic error report by assigning an
                                > error output file for all errors in my Tidy.cfg file.
                                >
                                > In tidy.cfg I added this line:
                                > error-file: c:\temp\tidyerr.log
                                >
                                > Any errors Tidy finds are output to c:\temp\tidyerr.log instead of
                                > stderr so it doesn't nag me about the errors.
                                >
                                > Of course c:\temp must be a valid path or Tidy defaults back to
                                > stderr
                                >
                                > John

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • John Zeman
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 19, 2004
                                  --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...> wrote:
                                  > Oh, I want to see the errors. Just not the one tagging
                                  xml:lang="en".
                                  > Can do?

                                  Oh I would think so by redirecting the error output like I mentioned
                                  before. Then using a NoteTab clip to open that c:\temp\tidyerr.log
                                  file you could have the clip search for that specific error making
                                  sure there are no other additional errors, and if so, to ignore
                                  alerting you.

                                  At the moment I'm a little short of time so I can't test that theory
                                  right now, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

                                  If you would like me to work on such a clip in the next few days when
                                  I have some free time, let me know ok? Perhaps by private email
                                  unless others are interested in something like this as well.

                                  John

                                  --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...> wrote:
                                  > Oh, I want to see the errors. Just not the one tagging
                                  xml:lang="en".
                                  > Can do?
                                  >
                                  > --- John Zeman <john041650@y...> wrote:
                                  > > --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@y...>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > If that doesn't work, just how would I disable Tidy's warning
                                  about
                                  > > > that?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thanks for all your suggestions/comments.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > sisterscape
                                  > > >

                                  > > Well I suspect it depends on your version of Tidy, and I'm not so
                                  > > sure how NoteTab Light plays into the equation as opposed to Pro,
                                  but

                                  > > I was able to disable the automatic error report by assigning an
                                  > > error output file for all errors in my Tidy.cfg file.
                                  > >
                                  > > In tidy.cfg I added this line:
                                  > > error-file: c:\temp\tidyerr.log
                                  > >
                                  > > Any errors Tidy finds are output to c:\temp\tidyerr.log instead
                                  of
                                  > > stderr so it doesn't nag me about the errors.
                                  > >
                                  > > Of course c:\temp must be a valid path or Tidy defaults back to
                                  > > stderr
                                  > >
                                  > > John
                                • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 21, 2004
                                    On 17/3/2004 19:10, Marcelo de Castro Bastos invited the wrath of the
                                    gods by saying:

                                    > On an unrelated note: does anybody else has trouble with Notetab *not*
                                    >
                                    >showing HTMLTidy's error report... even when you *know* there are errors
                                    >(because you deliberately inserted them to try and force an error report)?

                                    OK, I accidentally found a workaround that seems to be solving the
                                    problem. Can't explain WHY it works, only that it does.

                                    Basically, instead of setting up NoteTab to open tidy.exe directly, I
                                    set it up to call a batch file which will, then, call the regular Tidy
                                    program. For some reason, when Tidy is called by this roundabout way,
                                    it behaves in the expected way, while when called directly, it kept
                                    giving me grief. (I did this in order to try to find out what were the
                                    command-line parameters NoteTab was sending Tidy. Turns out there was
                                    just one: the one telling Tidy to use the tidy.cfg configuration file.
                                    But unexpectedly the problem I was having disappeared...) Maybe this
                                    approach could help solving other recalcitrant, odd Tidy behavior problems.

                                    This has an added side-benefit: you can add any other commands to the
                                    batch file in order to do additional stuff before or after running Tidy.
                                    Right now I can't find anything useful to do with this new trick, but
                                    there must be something.

                                    Oh, how to do it? Well, the easiest way is like this:
                                    1. Create a text file called tidy.cmd or tidy.bat (tidy.cmd won't work
                                    with Windows 9x or ME; Windows NT/2000/XP accepts either extension, and
                                    there is some obscure reasons to believe that the .cmd suffix is
                                    somewhat better). The content of this file should be:

                                    @"C:\Program Files\Notetab Light\tidy.exe" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

                                    (Or change it to whatever is the path to your tidy.exe file)

                                    2. Put this file wherever you prefer. It might be on your NoteTab
                                    folder, on the folder you keep Tidy, some folder in your path, or
                                    anywhere else -- Notetab won't mind. I prefer keeping it in a folder in
                                    my path, so I can call Tidy by the command-line from any folder while
                                    still keeping a separate folder for Tidy and without adding another
                                    folder to the path -- but that's just me. You might have different needs.

                                    3. This is very important: REMOVE temporarily your tidy.exe from the
                                    place it usually is kept. Don't delete it, you will need it later. Just
                                    move it to another place.

                                    4. Invoke Ctrl-F7 from Notetab. NT will complain that it can't find
                                    tidy.exe. Browse to the correct folder and EDIT the file name on the
                                    bottom in order to read "tidy.bat" or "tidy.cmd" (whatever you used)
                                    instead of tidy.exe. Click OK. This will invoke the batch file (although
                                    right now it won't work right, because tidy.exe isn't on the expected
                                    place. Ignore the error message).

                                    5- Return tidy.exe to its regular place. Test it by invoking Ctrl-F7
                                    from Notetab again. It should work. If it doesn't, check again all the
                                    paths and filenames.

                                    --
                                    Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                                  • sisterscape
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 7, 2004
                                      I would just like to let all you Note Tabbers know that John helped me
                                      solve this problem off-list with a clip that does exactly what I need.
                                      He was very patient and I learned a lot in the process. If NT had a
                                      member rating system, he'd get the max from me! Thanks for all your
                                      help, John!!