Re: [NH] MSIE 6: Rendering Issues

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13 2:02 PM
      > This smells like the famous "bad IE box model" issue. Basically, IE (up
      > to version 5.5, and on version 6 while in "quirks" mode) counts the
      > padding and border thickness as being part of the overall width of a
      > box. The W3C recommendation, which IE 6.0 follows when in
      > "standards-compliant" mode, is to consider margin, border and padding as
      > being outside the declared width. So, the same declaration, when
      > interpreted by compliant browsers, will result in a larger box than IE
      > 5.5 used to make.
      >
      > Since IE relies on the <DOCTYPE> declaration in order to decide if it
      > will render in "quirks" or "standards" mode, that would explain the
      > behavior: the DOCTYPE Tidy is inserting is triggering IE6's "standards"
      > mode, resulting in a wider page.
      >
      > There are some "box model hacks" around that problem (search Google for
      > some examples), but... well, the best would be to reengineer your page
      > in order for it to reflow to whatever width the browser is giving it,
      > instead of hard-coding an exact width. This would probably go a long way
      > to make your pages work with Mozilla, Opera, Safari and other browsers,
      > too -- and at different screen resolutions also.
      >
      > Would you mind posting the code (or a link) to one of these pages in
      > order for us to have a look?

      I agree. Quirks or not is what is causing the difference for you most
      likely. There are many ways around it. One is the box model hack. I
      spent a fair amount of time on this a bit ago. There are some other and
      perhaps better solutions. Somewhere around here I think I have a half
      written "tutorial" or "article" on this that tries to gather together
      the various solutions. (found it ... still needs some polishing, but
      here it is:
      http://htmlfixit.com/tutes/tutorial_Internet_Explorer_Broken_Box_Model_Hack_and_Other_Alternatives.php
      ) The article suggest that there may be five ways to solve it.

      If you are going to have someone regularly updating content, consider
      going to a blog type of format for the content. I have done that for
      several sites now. You just pull the content into a regular page.
      Makes it easier on both of you.