Re: [NH] Frames- side by side comparison.

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 23, 2004
      Don, and others,

      GEDCOM means GEnealogical Data COMmunication. It is a hierarchical data file
      that includes names, dates, places, and notes on individuals, marriages,
      sources, etc. It also has information on what Genealogy program generated
      it, who, etc. GEDCOM has been around for a long time, almost 20 years. My
      dad was using programs that worked with version 1 or 2 back when I was in
      college, maybe high school. But that may have been PAF, another format....

      There is lots of talk about a coming GEDML - GEDCOM XML, but I do not think
      it has gotten past the stage of a first draft.

      GEDCOM can be imported into any Genealogy program. It is just a text file,
      so it is human readable, although some of it takes getting used to.

      I have an on-again off again NoteTab project to read different pieces of
      information from GEDCOMs. My ultimate goal is to be able to generate a web
      site. That got side-tracked when all the big genealogy programs added that
      ability to their free versions. I only use free genealogy programs. I do
      have one I paid for years ago, but it is obsolete. I do use NoteTab to clean
      up the generated HTML files and add my custom information to my genealogy
      website. I also use NoteTab outlines to keep track of different information
      on my online researches of different families.

      I am also the webmaster for the Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
      going on 6 years. My dad is the editor and for the last 3 or 4 years
      president. He wanted an online presence, and I wanted to learn how to do it.
      That is when I discovered the best programmable text editor around. Since
      then, I have gotten pretty adept at clip writing and figuring out different
      pieces of how to do various things online: CSS, PHP, Perl, MySQL, XML, etc.

      I also use NoteTab for other personal tasks, and tons of things at work.

      Well, mentioning how I use NoteTab with GEDCOMs and web sites ought to keep
      this post on-topic. ;-) Any more genealogy discussion ought to go to the
      off-topic list. Clip discussion of GEDCOM's, etc. can go to the Clips list.
      I also have a clip for searching different surnames on various genealogy
      sites, and opening in my browser. I posted it a few times on the clip list,
      I'll see if I can clean it up and post it again.

      For the NoteTab off-topic list:
      Post message: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: ntb-OffTopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      For the NoteTab Clips list:
      Post message: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: ntb-clips-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Larry Hamilton
      lmh@...
      My Web Site: http://notlimah.tripod.com/
      Webmaster: Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
      http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/