Re: [NH] Frames- side by side comparison.

  • Jeffery Scism
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 21, 2004
      The page is an example someone else is doing, not mine, but it can be
      found here:

      http://www.googleguy.de/google-yahoo/
      --

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
      Scismgenie@...

      http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
      http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/

      All email and attachments are scanned in AND out
      by a daily-updated Norton Anti-virus, a firewall is
      in place and ad blocking/malware removal tools are
      installed, updated and running.
      (What have you done to protect yourself and others?)
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
        Jeffery Scism wrote:

        > The page is an example someone else is doing, not mine, but it can be
        > found here:
        >
        > http://www.googleguy.de/google-yahoo/
        that is really just a very simple javascript Jeff:

        function setFrames() {
        var search = document.form.q.value;
        parent.frames.left.location = 'http://www.google.com/search?q='+search;
        parent.frames.right.location = 'http://search.yahoo.com/search?p='+search;
        }

        function blockEnter(evt) {
        evt = (evt) ? evt : event;
        var charCode = (evt.charCode) ? evt.charCode :
        ((evt.which) ? evt.which : evt.keyCode);
        if (charCode == 13 || charCode == 3) {
        setFrames();
        return false;
        } else {
        return true;
        }
        }

        it isn't actually comparing the pages. Doing an actual comparison would
        be more difficult (ie adding redline etc). Just getting two pages side
        by side is a piece of cake. You just need to modify the top frame to
        add a second form and then put the url of each in. Is that what you
        were wanting? I think I can knock that up a second.
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
          Jeffery Scism wrote:

          > The page is an example someone else is doing, not mine, but it can be
          > found here:
          >
          > http://www.googleguy.de/google-yahoo/
          Needs work still! You so far have to type in http:// before a url or
          you will get an error. I will fix it tonight to add that automatically
          if you don't ...

          Anyway, it is working fine I think:
          http://htmlfixit.com/resource/js-snippets/side_by_side_pages/
        • Jeffery Scism
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
            The "Comparison" would have two functions, seeing how a page "looks" in
            MSIE and in Netscape, (or any other browser pair) (Script to open the
            SAME HTML file side by side in TWO different browsers)

            OR two instances of a single browser with user input address bars
            avilable to navigate to the pages for comparison.

            Not a line by line analysis of the differences, but a VISUAL side by
            side. (I could just open two browsers and resize them to be side by
            side, but I am looking for a quicker method that doesn't require jumping
            back and forth. (Changing focus).
            --

            Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
            Scismgenie@...

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
              -- htmlfixit stats counter link -- so we know if anybody loves us -->

              Is all that is displayed on the linked site.
              --

              Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
              Scismgenie@...

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                Jeffery Scism wrote:

                > -- htmlfixit stats counter link -- so we know if anybody loves us -->
                >
                > Is all that is displayed on the linked site.
                try again Jeff, fixed a typo
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                  Jeffery Scism wrote:

                  > The "Comparison" would have two functions, seeing how a page "looks" in
                  > MSIE and in Netscape, (or any other browser pair) (Script to open the
                  > SAME HTML file side by side in TWO different browsers)
                  >
                  > OR two instances of a single browser with user input address bars
                  > avilable to navigate to the pages for comparison.
                  >
                  > Not a line by line analysis of the differences, but a VISUAL side by
                  > side. (I could just open two browsers and resize them to be side by
                  > side, but I am looking for a quicker method that doesn't require jumping
                  > back and forth. (Changing focus).

                  The latter half of this (two pages side by side for visual comparison)
                  is what my thing is now doing Jeff. Opening two browsers side by side
                  would be a bit trickier ... I'll see what I can think up on that. It
                  would require that you essentially grant permission for something to
                  happen and address each of two open apps. I think we can do it with a
                  clip easy enough on a local basis. I would definately ask this question
                  over on clips. I don't think it could easily be done from the web
                  because of security issues with addressing apps directly.

                  Anyway, this is working now:
                  http://htmlfixit.com/resource/js-snippets/side_by_side_pages/

                  The typo you saw is fixed. The only thing that will frustrate this is
                  if you hit a page that will deframe itself, then it won't work because
                  one page will blast to the top. For most pages it will work fine.
                  http:// must be included in the address currently, but I will later fix
                  that. Time for church, so see you in a bit.
                • Jeffery Scism
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                    Looks super, May I download the Code?
                    --

                    Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                    Scismgenie@...

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                      Thanks Don, I like the results as they are.
                      --

                      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                      Scismgenie@...

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                        Jeffery Scism wrote:

                        > Looks super, May I download the Code?
                        sure
                      • Patricia Tidmarsh
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                          Greedy, greedy here. But could this be used to view two files from My
                          Computer on my own PC side by side?

                          On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

                          > Jeffery Scism wrote:
                          >
                          > > The "Comparison" would have two functions, seeing how a page "looks" in
                          > > MSIE and in Netscape, (or any other browser pair) (Script to open the
                          > > SAME HTML file side by side in TWO different browsers)
                          > >
                          > > OR two instances of a single browser with user input address bars
                          > > avilable to navigate to the pages for comparison.
                          > >
                          > > Not a line by line analysis of the differences, but a VISUAL side by
                          > > side. (I could just open two browsers and resize them to be side by
                          > > side, but I am looking for a quicker method that doesn't require jumping
                          > > back and forth. (Changing focus).
                          >
                          > The latter half of this (two pages side by side for visual comparison)
                          > is what my thing is now doing Jeff. Opening two browsers side by side
                          > would be a bit trickier ... I'll see what I can think up on that. It
                          > would require that you essentially grant permission for something to
                          > happen and address each of two open apps. I think we can do it with a
                          > clip easy enough on a local basis. I would definately ask this question
                          > over on clips. I don't think it could easily be done from the web
                          > because of security issues with addressing apps directly.
                          >
                          > Anyway, this is working now:
                          > http://htmlfixit.com/resource/js-snippets/side_by_side_pages/
                          >
                          > The typo you saw is fixed. The only thing that will frustrate this is
                          > if you hit a page that will deframe itself, then it won't work because
                          > one page will blast to the top. For most pages it will work fine.
                          > http:// must be included in the address currently, but I will later fix
                          > that. Time for church, so see you in a bit.
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                            Jeffery:

                            You can compare two pages side-by-side using builtin functions of MyIE2.
                            It has in its Window menu: Tile Horizontal and Tile Vertical (also cascade)

                            If you have two (or morepages opened normally, either of the above Tile
                            options will I think do what you want - no assistance with looking at them
                            in two different browsers though.

                            I use both those functions often enough that I set Option-MyIE2
                            options-Mouse Action so that double click in a page will tile all Vertically
                            and double click on empty space in Tab bar will tile all horizontally.

                            (thanks for the Google-Yahoo search compare page URL :-) )

                            Regards ... Alec

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                              > Greedy, greedy here. But could this be used to view two files from My
                              > Computer on my own PC side by side?
                              >>
                              >>Anyway, this is working now:
                              >>http://htmlfixit.com/resource/js-snippets/side_by_side_pages/

                              yes it could, you just use c:\ instead of http:// etc. I'll develop it
                              a bit more when I get a few minutes. I only had about 10 minutes this
                              morning before church to throw that together

                              I will probably assemble a zipped version you can use if you are off
                              line as well. This one won't work off-line without modification for
                              most people because it calls our counter file, and because it is named
                              .php. If you delete the call for our remote js counter file (stats.js)
                              and rename everything filename.html and change the three links in the
                              index.html page then you could even use it off-line.

                              Don
                            • Patricia Tidmarsh
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                                Thanks -- not experienced with how this is done andonly found the code for
                                a page which set up the page with a place for what are probably two other
                                pages.

                                Appreciate your help -- please dont rush, but this will be great for
                                bringing some old lists of resources up to date, as well as comparing two
                                gedcoms -- comparing new information to be added to a master Gedcom.

                                On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

                                > > Greedy, greedy here. But could this be used to view two files from My
                                > > Computer on my own PC side by side?
                                > >>
                                > >>Anyway, this is working now:
                                > >>http://htmlfixit.com/resource/js-snippets/side_by_side_pages/
                                >
                                > yes it could, you just use c:\ instead of http:// etc. I'll develop it
                                > a bit more when I get a few minutes. I only had about 10 minutes this
                                > morning before church to throw that together
                                >
                                > I will probably assemble a zipped version you can use if you are off
                                > line as well. This one won't work off-line without modification for
                                > most people because it calls our counter file, and because it is named
                                > .php. If you delete the call for our remote js counter file (stats.js)
                                > and rename everything filename.html and change the three links in the
                                > index.html page then you could even use it off-line.
                                >
                                > Don
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Jeffery Scism
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                                  Gee how many of us speak GEDCOM?
                                  --

                                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                  Scismgenie@...

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                                    Jeffery Scism wrote:
                                    > Gee how many of us speak GEDCOM?
                                    elucidate ... I don't ... may be off topic, but may help with
                                    development too
                                  • Jeffery Scism
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 23, 2004
                                      Gedcom is the Genealogical File ztransfer standard, A text based format
                                      for transferring Family data and relationships from one company's
                                      program to almost any other company's program.

                                      It was created by the LDS (Mormons) as a program called "Personal
                                      Ancestor File" in the mid 1970s, and has evolved significantly since then.

                                      Currently there is a movement to recreate the standard to a XHTML
                                      format, or to a newer more comprehensive FTP, because the various
                                      Genealogy programs are becoming more complex. The problem is that the
                                      "holders", the LDS, are not interested in proceeding to a more
                                      comprehensive process, they are happy with it as it is. (It suits their
                                      needs).

                                      Getting ALL the companies to comply to a "new" standard is difficult
                                      because they are in competition.
                                      --

                                      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                      Scismgenie@...

                                      http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
                                      http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
                                      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/
                                      http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/

                                      All email and attachments are scanned in AND out
                                      by a daily-updated Norton Anti-virus, a firewall is
                                      in place and ad blocking/malware removal tools are
                                      installed, updated and running.
                                      (What have you done to protect yourself and others?)
                                    • Larry Hamilton
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 23, 2004
                                        Don, and others,

                                        GEDCOM means GEnealogical Data COMmunication. It is a hierarchical data file
                                        that includes names, dates, places, and notes on individuals, marriages,
                                        sources, etc. It also has information on what Genealogy program generated
                                        it, who, etc. GEDCOM has been around for a long time, almost 20 years. My
                                        dad was using programs that worked with version 1 or 2 back when I was in
                                        college, maybe high school. But that may have been PAF, another format....

                                        There is lots of talk about a coming GEDML - GEDCOM XML, but I do not think
                                        it has gotten past the stage of a first draft.

                                        GEDCOM can be imported into any Genealogy program. It is just a text file,
                                        so it is human readable, although some of it takes getting used to.

                                        I have an on-again off again NoteTab project to read different pieces of
                                        information from GEDCOMs. My ultimate goal is to be able to generate a web
                                        site. That got side-tracked when all the big genealogy programs added that
                                        ability to their free versions. I only use free genealogy programs. I do
                                        have one I paid for years ago, but it is obsolete. I do use NoteTab to clean
                                        up the generated HTML files and add my custom information to my genealogy
                                        website. I also use NoteTab outlines to keep track of different information
                                        on my online researches of different families.

                                        I am also the webmaster for the Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
                                        going on 6 years. My dad is the editor and for the last 3 or 4 years
                                        president. He wanted an online presence, and I wanted to learn how to do it.
                                        That is when I discovered the best programmable text editor around. Since
                                        then, I have gotten pretty adept at clip writing and figuring out different
                                        pieces of how to do various things online: CSS, PHP, Perl, MySQL, XML, etc.

                                        I also use NoteTab for other personal tasks, and tons of things at work.

                                        Well, mentioning how I use NoteTab with GEDCOMs and web sites ought to keep
                                        this post on-topic. ;-) Any more genealogy discussion ought to go to the
                                        off-topic list. Clip discussion of GEDCOM's, etc. can go to the Clips list.
                                        I also have a clip for searching different surnames on various genealogy
                                        sites, and opening in my browser. I posted it a few times on the clip list,
                                        I'll see if I can clean it up and post it again.

                                        For the NoteTab off-topic list:
                                        Post message: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
                                        Subscribe: ntb-OffTopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                        For the NoteTab Clips list:
                                        Post message: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
                                        Subscribe: ntb-clips-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                        Larry Hamilton
                                        lmh@...
                                        My Web Site: http://notlimah.tripod.com/
                                        Webmaster: Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
                                        http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/