Re: [NH] Frames- side by side comparison.

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 21, 2004
      Jeffery:

      could you provide a URL to the page you are trying to use as a starting
      point? I tried google: "google yahoo search compare" but it's there, I
      missed it.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 21, 2004
        The page is an example someone else is doing, not mine, but it can be
        found here:

        http://www.googleguy.de/google-yahoo/
        --

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
        Scismgenie@...

        http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
        http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/

        All email and attachments are scanned in AND out
        by a daily-updated Norton Anti-virus, a firewall is
        in place and ad blocking/malware removal tools are
        installed, updated and running.
        (What have you done to protect yourself and others?)
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
          Jeffery Scism wrote:

          > The page is an example someone else is doing, not mine, but it can be
          > found here:
          >
          > http://www.googleguy.de/google-yahoo/
          that is really just a very simple javascript Jeff:

          function setFrames() {
          var search = document.form.q.value;
          parent.frames.left.location = 'http://www.google.com/search?q='+search;
          parent.frames.right.location = 'http://search.yahoo.com/search?p='+search;
          }

          function blockEnter(evt) {
          evt = (evt) ? evt : event;
          var charCode = (evt.charCode) ? evt.charCode :
          ((evt.which) ? evt.which : evt.keyCode);
          if (charCode == 13 || charCode == 3) {
          setFrames();
          return false;
          } else {
          return true;
          }
          }

          it isn't actually comparing the pages. Doing an actual comparison would
          be more difficult (ie adding redline etc). Just getting two pages side
          by side is a piece of cake. You just need to modify the top frame to
          add a second form and then put the url of each in. Is that what you
          were wanting? I think I can knock that up a second.
        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
            Jeffery Scism wrote:

            > The page is an example someone else is doing, not mine, but it can be
            > found here:
            >
            > http://www.googleguy.de/google-yahoo/
            Needs work still! You so far have to type in http:// before a url or
            you will get an error. I will fix it tonight to add that automatically
            if you don't ...

            Anyway, it is working fine I think:
            http://htmlfixit.com/resource/js-snippets/side_by_side_pages/
          • Jeffery Scism
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
              The "Comparison" would have two functions, seeing how a page "looks" in
              MSIE and in Netscape, (or any other browser pair) (Script to open the
              SAME HTML file side by side in TWO different browsers)

              OR two instances of a single browser with user input address bars
              avilable to navigate to the pages for comparison.

              Not a line by line analysis of the differences, but a VISUAL side by
              side. (I could just open two browsers and resize them to be side by
              side, but I am looking for a quicker method that doesn't require jumping
              back and forth. (Changing focus).
              --

              Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
              Scismgenie@...

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                -- htmlfixit stats counter link -- so we know if anybody loves us -->

                Is all that is displayed on the linked site.
                --

                Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                Scismgenie@...

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                  Jeffery Scism wrote:

                  > -- htmlfixit stats counter link -- so we know if anybody loves us -->
                  >
                  > Is all that is displayed on the linked site.
                  try again Jeff, fixed a typo
                • Don - htmlfixit.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                    Jeffery Scism wrote:

                    > The "Comparison" would have two functions, seeing how a page "looks" in
                    > MSIE and in Netscape, (or any other browser pair) (Script to open the
                    > SAME HTML file side by side in TWO different browsers)
                    >
                    > OR two instances of a single browser with user input address bars
                    > avilable to navigate to the pages for comparison.
                    >
                    > Not a line by line analysis of the differences, but a VISUAL side by
                    > side. (I could just open two browsers and resize them to be side by
                    > side, but I am looking for a quicker method that doesn't require jumping
                    > back and forth. (Changing focus).

                    The latter half of this (two pages side by side for visual comparison)
                    is what my thing is now doing Jeff. Opening two browsers side by side
                    would be a bit trickier ... I'll see what I can think up on that. It
                    would require that you essentially grant permission for something to
                    happen and address each of two open apps. I think we can do it with a
                    clip easy enough on a local basis. I would definately ask this question
                    over on clips. I don't think it could easily be done from the web
                    because of security issues with addressing apps directly.

                    Anyway, this is working now:
                    http://htmlfixit.com/resource/js-snippets/side_by_side_pages/

                    The typo you saw is fixed. The only thing that will frustrate this is
                    if you hit a page that will deframe itself, then it won't work because
                    one page will blast to the top. For most pages it will work fine.
                    http:// must be included in the address currently, but I will later fix
                    that. Time for church, so see you in a bit.
                  • Jeffery Scism
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                      Looks super, May I download the Code?
                      --

                      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                      Scismgenie@...

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                        Thanks Don, I like the results as they are.
                        --

                        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                        Scismgenie@...

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                          Jeffery Scism wrote:

                          > Looks super, May I download the Code?
                          sure
                        • Patricia Tidmarsh
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                            Greedy, greedy here. But could this be used to view two files from My
                            Computer on my own PC side by side?

                            On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

                            > Jeffery Scism wrote:
                            >
                            > > The "Comparison" would have two functions, seeing how a page "looks" in
                            > > MSIE and in Netscape, (or any other browser pair) (Script to open the
                            > > SAME HTML file side by side in TWO different browsers)
                            > >
                            > > OR two instances of a single browser with user input address bars
                            > > avilable to navigate to the pages for comparison.
                            > >
                            > > Not a line by line analysis of the differences, but a VISUAL side by
                            > > side. (I could just open two browsers and resize them to be side by
                            > > side, but I am looking for a quicker method that doesn't require jumping
                            > > back and forth. (Changing focus).
                            >
                            > The latter half of this (two pages side by side for visual comparison)
                            > is what my thing is now doing Jeff. Opening two browsers side by side
                            > would be a bit trickier ... I'll see what I can think up on that. It
                            > would require that you essentially grant permission for something to
                            > happen and address each of two open apps. I think we can do it with a
                            > clip easy enough on a local basis. I would definately ask this question
                            > over on clips. I don't think it could easily be done from the web
                            > because of security issues with addressing apps directly.
                            >
                            > Anyway, this is working now:
                            > http://htmlfixit.com/resource/js-snippets/side_by_side_pages/
                            >
                            > The typo you saw is fixed. The only thing that will frustrate this is
                            > if you hit a page that will deframe itself, then it won't work because
                            > one page will blast to the top. For most pages it will work fine.
                            > http:// must be included in the address currently, but I will later fix
                            > that. Time for church, so see you in a bit.
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Alec Burgess
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                              Jeffery:

                              You can compare two pages side-by-side using builtin functions of MyIE2.
                              It has in its Window menu: Tile Horizontal and Tile Vertical (also cascade)

                              If you have two (or morepages opened normally, either of the above Tile
                              options will I think do what you want - no assistance with looking at them
                              in two different browsers though.

                              I use both those functions often enough that I set Option-MyIE2
                              options-Mouse Action so that double click in a page will tile all Vertically
                              and double click on empty space in Tab bar will tile all horizontally.

                              (thanks for the Google-Yahoo search compare page URL :-) )

                              Regards ... Alec

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                                > Greedy, greedy here. But could this be used to view two files from My
                                > Computer on my own PC side by side?
                                >>
                                >>Anyway, this is working now:
                                >>http://htmlfixit.com/resource/js-snippets/side_by_side_pages/

                                yes it could, you just use c:\ instead of http:// etc. I'll develop it
                                a bit more when I get a few minutes. I only had about 10 minutes this
                                morning before church to throw that together

                                I will probably assemble a zipped version you can use if you are off
                                line as well. This one won't work off-line without modification for
                                most people because it calls our counter file, and because it is named
                                .php. If you delete the call for our remote js counter file (stats.js)
                                and rename everything filename.html and change the three links in the
                                index.html page then you could even use it off-line.

                                Don
                              • Patricia Tidmarsh
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                                  Thanks -- not experienced with how this is done andonly found the code for
                                  a page which set up the page with a place for what are probably two other
                                  pages.

                                  Appreciate your help -- please dont rush, but this will be great for
                                  bringing some old lists of resources up to date, as well as comparing two
                                  gedcoms -- comparing new information to be added to a master Gedcom.

                                  On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

                                  > > Greedy, greedy here. But could this be used to view two files from My
                                  > > Computer on my own PC side by side?
                                  > >>
                                  > >>Anyway, this is working now:
                                  > >>http://htmlfixit.com/resource/js-snippets/side_by_side_pages/
                                  >
                                  > yes it could, you just use c:\ instead of http:// etc. I'll develop it
                                  > a bit more when I get a few minutes. I only had about 10 minutes this
                                  > morning before church to throw that together
                                  >
                                  > I will probably assemble a zipped version you can use if you are off
                                  > line as well. This one won't work off-line without modification for
                                  > most people because it calls our counter file, and because it is named
                                  > .php. If you delete the call for our remote js counter file (stats.js)
                                  > and rename everything filename.html and change the three links in the
                                  > index.html page then you could even use it off-line.
                                  >
                                  > Don
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Jeffery Scism
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                                    Gee how many of us speak GEDCOM?
                                    --

                                    Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                    Scismgenie@...

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 22, 2004
                                      Jeffery Scism wrote:
                                      > Gee how many of us speak GEDCOM?
                                      elucidate ... I don't ... may be off topic, but may help with
                                      development too
                                    • Jeffery Scism
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 23, 2004
                                        Gedcom is the Genealogical File ztransfer standard, A text based format
                                        for transferring Family data and relationships from one company's
                                        program to almost any other company's program.

                                        It was created by the LDS (Mormons) as a program called "Personal
                                        Ancestor File" in the mid 1970s, and has evolved significantly since then.

                                        Currently there is a movement to recreate the standard to a XHTML
                                        format, or to a newer more comprehensive FTP, because the various
                                        Genealogy programs are becoming more complex. The problem is that the
                                        "holders", the LDS, are not interested in proceeding to a more
                                        comprehensive process, they are happy with it as it is. (It suits their
                                        needs).

                                        Getting ALL the companies to comply to a "new" standard is difficult
                                        because they are in competition.
                                        --

                                        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                        Scismgenie@...

                                        http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
                                        http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
                                        http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/
                                        http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/

                                        All email and attachments are scanned in AND out
                                        by a daily-updated Norton Anti-virus, a firewall is
                                        in place and ad blocking/malware removal tools are
                                        installed, updated and running.
                                        (What have you done to protect yourself and others?)
                                      • Larry Hamilton
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 23, 2004
                                          Don, and others,

                                          GEDCOM means GEnealogical Data COMmunication. It is a hierarchical data file
                                          that includes names, dates, places, and notes on individuals, marriages,
                                          sources, etc. It also has information on what Genealogy program generated
                                          it, who, etc. GEDCOM has been around for a long time, almost 20 years. My
                                          dad was using programs that worked with version 1 or 2 back when I was in
                                          college, maybe high school. But that may have been PAF, another format....

                                          There is lots of talk about a coming GEDML - GEDCOM XML, but I do not think
                                          it has gotten past the stage of a first draft.

                                          GEDCOM can be imported into any Genealogy program. It is just a text file,
                                          so it is human readable, although some of it takes getting used to.

                                          I have an on-again off again NoteTab project to read different pieces of
                                          information from GEDCOMs. My ultimate goal is to be able to generate a web
                                          site. That got side-tracked when all the big genealogy programs added that
                                          ability to their free versions. I only use free genealogy programs. I do
                                          have one I paid for years ago, but it is obsolete. I do use NoteTab to clean
                                          up the generated HTML files and add my custom information to my genealogy
                                          website. I also use NoteTab outlines to keep track of different information
                                          on my online researches of different families.

                                          I am also the webmaster for the Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
                                          going on 6 years. My dad is the editor and for the last 3 or 4 years
                                          president. He wanted an online presence, and I wanted to learn how to do it.
                                          That is when I discovered the best programmable text editor around. Since
                                          then, I have gotten pretty adept at clip writing and figuring out different
                                          pieces of how to do various things online: CSS, PHP, Perl, MySQL, XML, etc.

                                          I also use NoteTab for other personal tasks, and tons of things at work.

                                          Well, mentioning how I use NoteTab with GEDCOMs and web sites ought to keep
                                          this post on-topic. ;-) Any more genealogy discussion ought to go to the
                                          off-topic list. Clip discussion of GEDCOM's, etc. can go to the Clips list.
                                          I also have a clip for searching different surnames on various genealogy
                                          sites, and opening in my browser. I posted it a few times on the clip list,
                                          I'll see if I can clean it up and post it again.

                                          For the NoteTab off-topic list:
                                          Post message: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
                                          Subscribe: ntb-OffTopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                          For the NoteTab Clips list:
                                          Post message: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
                                          Subscribe: ntb-clips-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                          Larry Hamilton
                                          lmh@...
                                          My Web Site: http://notlimah.tripod.com/
                                          Webmaster: Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
                                          http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/