Frames- side by side comparison.

  • Jeffery Scism
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
      Looking for help....

      I would like to create a website FRAMES page that shows two selectable
      websites side by side, BUT I would like a wizard to p[op up that allows
      the user to select the two pages to compare.

      I am a novice at frames construction, and really do not know what I am
      doing when trying to create a frames page that creates the two src
      pages to compare. (or insets web based pages into the two frames, left
      and right for display.

      I imagine a Javascript would be required to "get" the pages to compare.

      This process would be useful in my composing reconsructed HTML sites,
      and updating pages.

      A new page just went up that compares Yahoo search results with
      Google search results, I would like the page I wnt, to be similar,
      except the user can input which pages to compare.

      The coding from that page follows:

      <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
      <head>
      <title>Google - Yahoo Comparison: Compare Search Results</title>
      </head>

      <frameset rows="50,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">
      <frame src="top.html" name="top" scrolling="NO" noresize >
      <frameset rows="*" cols="*,50%" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO"
      border="0">

      <frame src="left.html" name="left" scrolling="YES" noresize>
      <frame src="right.html" name="right" scrolling="YES" noresize>
      </frameset>
      </frameset>
      <noframes><body>
      Google - Yahoo Comparison: Compare Search Results. Needs frames.

      --

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
      Scismgenie@...

      http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
      http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/

      All email and attachments are scanned in AND out
      by a daily-updated Norton Anti-virus, a firewall is
      in place and ad blocking/malware removal tools are
      installed, updated and running.
      (What have you done to protect yourself and others?)
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Jeffery Scism <scismgenie@a...>
        wrote:
        > Looking for help....
        >
        > I would like to create a website FRAMES page that shows two
        selectable
        > websites side by side, BUT I would like a wizard to p[op up that
        allows
        > the user to select the two pages to compare.

        Here's a nickel tutorial on frames pages. First you need to create
        the frameset page which is the frame and the page you will view.
        Sample code is as follows in between the dashed lines:

        <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN">
        <head>
        <title>My frames page</title>
        </head>
        <frameset cols="50%,50%" border="0">
        <frame src="left.html" name="leftside">
        <frame src="right.html" name="rightside">
        <noframes>
        Text that displays if browser is not frames capable.
        </noframes>
        </frameset>
        You might want to study the above a bit. It defines a 2 column
        frames page with each column being half the available width of the
        screen. The frame src= lines determine the initial pages that are
        loaded into each frame. Note those frame src lines also
        contain "name" attributes, names are how you determine which page
        loads in which frame whenever a link in a frame is clicked.

        Next is an example of a page (left.html) initially loaded into the
        left frame of the above frameset page.
        <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
        <head>
        <title>Left page</title>
        </head>
        Click a link below to open that page in this frame.</p>

        And likewise here is an example of a page (right.html) initially
        loaded in the right frame.
        <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
        <head>
        <title>Rightpage</title>
        </head>
        Click a link below to open that page in this frame.</p>

        I know this doesn't address the pop up wizard that you asked for nor
        the comparison of the two pages but it should get you started.

        John
      • Jeffery Scism
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
          Thanks John, I understand the Frameset page stored as Index.html on the
          browser and the calling of the two named pages, Perhaps I am looking for
          just calling up TWO instances of my web browser in each side, and then
          can navigate from there.

          Jeff
          --

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          Scismgenie@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
            wrote:
            > Thanks John, I understand the Frameset page stored as Index.html on
            the
            > browser and the calling of the two named pages, Perhaps I am
            looking for
            > just calling up TWO instances of my web browser in each side, and
            then
            > can navigate from there.
            >
            > Jeff

            I'm not sure what your true objective is Jeff, but if you want to
            compare the coding of two pages online, you can use the graburl
            utility to "grab" the source code from an online page and display it
            in NoteTab. graburl is free and available at:

            http://www.kiraly.com/software/utilities/

            It's a command line program, I use the following clip to make it work:

            ; =======================================
            ^!Set %CMD%=^?{Enter URL to grab=}

            ;next line is rather long
            ^!Set %RESULTS%=^$GetShort(^$GetAppPath$\kiraly\graburl.exe)$ ^%CMD%

            ^!SetClipboard ^$GetDosOutput("^%RESULTS%")$
            ^!ToolBar New Document
            ^!Paste
            ; =======================================

            Where graburl.exe is stored in the:

            C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro\kiraly\

            folder.

            You can then use another utility like ExamDiff to compare the
            contents of the two files.

            John
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
              getting two pages side by side is doable, but to compare them is very
              intense ... it would involve something server side to really do a good job

              what are you actually wanting to do?
            • Jeffery Scism
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
                On my website (which I manage but do not "run") the compiler is sending
                me biographies, and extracts, I am posting them under the individual
                surnams, what is happening is some times a DIFFERENT source is sent
                with a already existing bio from another source. OR a slight wording
                change. I just want to compare line by line both d9cuments and (in a
                separate NoteTab window) nmake the needed corrections to assure I am not
                dropping important data or unnecessarily overwriting a Bio.

                --

                Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                Scismgenie@...