Re: [NH] Audio Play isn't Reliable

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 20 7:26 AM
      HI ray
      Are you sure the sample rate on all of them are the same?? that would cause
      this sort of problem .
      THANKYOU DAVE
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 20 8:23 AM
        hI Ray
        you could also try ADPCM 4BIT as wav will try to stream , as most mp3 will
        have to load down first ,you can test this out by drop the wav file on to
        IE5\6 AND NETSCAPE
        THANKYOU DAVE
        > The audio file associated with a page on my website doesn't play reliably.
        > See:
        >
        > http://www.asterism.org/humor/humover.htm
        >
        > Ignoring Netscape users for now, I used the <bgsound> tag, and the "Oh
        > Fee-Yukus and the Top Ten" page works fine. Oh Suzannah plays
        continuously
        > in the background. The next page is problematic, however.
        >
        > If I use the <bgsound> tag in "The Galaxy Song" page, I hear a very
        > garbled noise. It's as if only a very small percentage of the sound file
        is
        > actually being sampled. To avoid that, I used a hyperlink as follows:

        > This allows the Galaxy song to play properly, but the link opens a
        separate
        > page. I tried other values for target such as "_blank", "_parent", and
        > "_self", but the link still opens a new page.
        >
        > I suspect the galaxy song may require some kind of format conversion to
        play
        > as a background sound. I would like to avoid that, if possible.
        >
        > If I am forced to use the hyperlink, what must I do to prevent the new
        page
        > from launching?
        >
        > An even more general question: Is there a way to provide audio for most
        > modern brands of browser?
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > Ray Shapp
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • R Shapp
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 20 1:03 PM
          Hi Dave,

          Thanks for the reply.

          <<Are you sure the sample rate on all of them are the same??>>

          There is only one music file on each page. The <bgsound> tag runs the first
          music file normally. The <bgsound> tag garbles the music file on the second
          page. Yes, the sampling rates are probably different in the two music files,
          but each is run independently of the other.

          As you suggested, I used ADPCM 4 BIT to try to convert galaxy.mp3. The
          program ran without any error messages, but the converted output was a file
          containing only 90 bytes. To confirm that I am using ADPCM 4 BIT correctly, I
          converted a different mp3 file, and it produced a 23Mb file from a 2.3Mb input
          file.

          I would prefer not to make any conversions. Is there a way to run my existing
          file using the hyperlink without opening a new instance of the browser page?

          Do you know how to prevent the hyperlink from opening a new browser page when
          it is clicked? The hyperlink is:

          Thanks again,

          Ray Shapp
        • Jeffery Scism
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 20 1:35 PM
            <embed SRC="sound/edmund5.mid" volume="50%"><!--for netscape-->
            <BGSOUND SRC="sound/edmund5.mid" volume="50%"><!--For IE -->

            This works for me.

            Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
            Scismgenie@...
            ~~

            http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
            http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
            http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/
            http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/

            All email and attachments are scanned in AND out
            by a daily-updated Norton Anti-virus, a firewall is
            in place and ad blocking/malware removal tools are
            installed, updated and running.
            (What have you done to protect yourself and others?)
          • LEE CRESSWELL
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21 2:24 AM
              Ray,
              IE supports the<bgsound> element. Navigator does not.
              Navigator instead requires the <embed> element and a
              plug-in audio player. For background sound on both
              browsers, two different techniques are required. If
              you incorporate the script below the program will run
              OK on either, and it will stay with the original page.
              Regards,
              Lee.

              <script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">

              <!-- Original: Kipp W. Shinabarger (kipps@...)
              -->

              <!-- Begin
              var MSIE=navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE");
              var NETS=navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Netscape");
              var OPER=navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Opera");

              if((MSIE>-1) || (OPER>-1)) {
              document.write("<bgsound=sound.mid loop=infinite>");
              } else {
              document.write("<embed=sound.mid autostart=true ");
              document.write("hidden=true volume=100 loop=true>");
              }
              // End -->
              </script>
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21 6:45 AM
                Hi Ray
                I have tried what is below and it works for me , when I said try ADPCM 4 BIT
                I thought you would convert from the original wav , The one I have tried was
                a 50meg -CD QUALITY WAV it converted to about 5meg , if you dropped the
                quality down the end result will be smaller ,I then tried the bit below

                <EMBED SRC="F:\The Overture.wav" AUTOSTART="true" HIDDEN="false" >
                it streamed across home network .
                THANKYOU DAVE