Re: NoteTab changed my link

  • jorigami
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 21, 2004
      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:

      > I find that the question mark is being changed to %3f and the equals sign
      > to%3d.
      > Why is it so? And, more to the point, is there something I can change to
      > stop this from happening?

      From RFC2396:

      ----

      2.2. Reserved Characters

      Many URI include components consisting of or delimited by, certain
      special characters. These characters are called "reserved", since
      their usage within the URI component is limited to their reserved
      purpose. If the data for a URI component would conflict with the
      reserved purpose, then the conflicting data must be escaped before
      forming the URI.

      reserved = ";" | "/" | "?" | ":" | "@" | "&" | "=" | "+" |
      "$" | ","

      The "reserved" syntax class above refers to those characters that are
      allowed within a URI, but which may not be allowed within a
      particular component of the generic URI syntax; they are used as
      delimiters of the components described in Section 3.

      Characters in the "reserved" set are not reserved in all contexts.
      The set of characters actually reserved within any given URI
      component is defined by that component. In general, a character is
      reserved if the semantics of the URI changes if the character is
      replaced with its escaped US-ASCII encoding.

      ----

      NoteTab assumes that those chars are part of URI instead of taking them
      as query components. It's doing the right thing, but gets it wrong :)

      I don't think you can avoid that, but it's easy to fix all of them with
      search & replace before saving the document.

      Jorma
    • Stefan Elssner
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 21, 2004
        Hi Fay,

        I paste this in the Hyperlink wizard produced by the default HTML clip
        library of my NT Pro 4.95:
        http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1404905

        And I get this result:

        All right -- can't reproduce your problem.

        Do you refer to another wizard? Or from another version of NoteTab?

        Anyway, the general explanations and remedy Jorma gave in reply to the
        topic are comprehensive and may do nevermind.

        On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:00:33 +1100, Fay wrote:

        >This is a funny one. Not a big deal, but still...
        >
        >I pasted a link into the Insert Hyperlink wizard. The link included a
        >question mark and an equals sign. When clicking the link gave me Page Not
        >Found I repasted the link manually and all was well.
        >
        >I find that the question mark is being changed to %3f and the equals sign
        >to%3d.
        >Why is it so? And, more to the point, is there something I can change to
        >stop this from happening?
        >
        >This line is directly pasted.
        >http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1404905

      • Fay
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 21, 2004
          Thanks Stefan,
          I have 4.92. Maybe I should update. Everything else works so beautifully,
          though, I might throw out the baby with the bathwater.
          Fay
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 22, 2004
            Fay,

            I think Eric addressed this issue in 4.95.

            Larry Hamilton

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 23, 2004
              OK. I should upgrade, obviously. However, I can only find free trials. Where
              do I go to upgrade my registered version of NoteTab Pro?
              Yes, of course any fool would know, but I'm a very *old* fool. I can't find
              it!

              Fay.
            • Don Passenger
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 24, 2004
                http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.php
                it comes in a wrapper that goes over top of the registered version
                it is usually a very seamless changeover

                one caution, if you have any clips in the libraries that come with
                notetab, make a backup copy of those as they will be overwritten if you
                do a complete update

                clips in your own libraries will be unaffected, only the ones in the
                "stock" libraries are affected by an update

                Fay wrote:

                > OK. I should upgrade, obviously. However, I can only find free trials. Where
                > do I go to upgrade my registered version of NoteTab Pro?
                > Yes, of course any fool would know, but I'm a very *old* fool. I can't find
                > it!
                >
                > Fay.
              • Kathy Jungjohann
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 24, 2004
                  Just upgraded and it doesn't appear to pick-up any of the settings from the
                  old version. Darned if I can remember what colors I had the code set to
                  display - and where to make it automatically refresh the page when you view
                  it in your browser window, or to reload into the current browser window
                  instead of opening a new one for that matter. So you do have to go in and
                  reset all your options. Unless I missed something ...

                  Kathy

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 24, 2004
                    Hello Kathy,

                    >Just upgraded and it doesn't appear to pick-up
                    >any of the settings from the old version.
                    <snip>
                    >So you do have to go in and reset all your
                    >options. Unless I missed something ...

                    Before you do that, check if you really installed the new version over the old one. Sounds like you didn't. It's easy to create a new directory inside the old Notetab directory and install there by mistake... In that case you have two versions, each with its own settings.

                    Lotta
                  • Kathy Jungjohann
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 24, 2004
                      >... It's easy to create a new directory inside the old Notetab directory
                      >and install there by mistake... In that case you have two versions, each
                      >with its own settings.
                      >Lotta

                      You got it! That's exactly what happened!
                      Kathy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 24, 2004
                        Kathy wrote:
                        >You got it! That's exactly what happened!

                        Been there. Done that. Glad it was easily fixed. :-)

                        Lotta
                      • Stefan Elssner
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 28, 2004
                          Hi Fay,
                          On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:58:34 +1100, you wrote:

                          >OK. I should upgrade, obviously. However, I can only find free trials. Where
                          >do I go to upgrade my registered version of NoteTab Pro?

                          Just have a look at

                          http://www.notetab.ch/upgrade.htm
                          or
                          http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.htm