NoteTab changed my link

  • Fay
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 20, 2004
      This is a funny one. Not a big deal, but still...

      I pasted a link into the Insert Hyperlink wizard. The link included a
      question mark and an equals sign. When clicking the link gave me Page Not
      Found I repasted the link manually and all was well.

      I find that the question mark is being changed to %3f and the equals sign
      to%3d.
      Why is it so? And, more to the point, is there something I can change to
      stop this from happening?

      This line is directly pasted.
      http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1404905

      This is what Notetab wrote:

      Thanks for any enlightenment on this.

      Fay.

      Obby's Beginner Help and Family Pages
      http://fay.iniminimo.com/
    • jorigami
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 21, 2004
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:

        > I find that the question mark is being changed to %3f and the equals sign
        > to%3d.
        > Why is it so? And, more to the point, is there something I can change to
        > stop this from happening?

        From RFC2396:

        ----

        2.2. Reserved Characters

        Many URI include components consisting of or delimited by, certain
        special characters. These characters are called "reserved", since
        their usage within the URI component is limited to their reserved
        purpose. If the data for a URI component would conflict with the
        reserved purpose, then the conflicting data must be escaped before
        forming the URI.

        reserved = ";" | "/" | "?" | ":" | "@" | "&" | "=" | "+" |
        "$" | ","

        The "reserved" syntax class above refers to those characters that are
        allowed within a URI, but which may not be allowed within a
        particular component of the generic URI syntax; they are used as
        delimiters of the components described in Section 3.

        Characters in the "reserved" set are not reserved in all contexts.
        The set of characters actually reserved within any given URI
        component is defined by that component. In general, a character is
        reserved if the semantics of the URI changes if the character is
        replaced with its escaped US-ASCII encoding.

        ----

        NoteTab assumes that those chars are part of URI instead of taking them
        as query components. It's doing the right thing, but gets it wrong :)

        I don't think you can avoid that, but it's easy to fix all of them with
        search & replace before saving the document.

        Jorma
      • Stefan Elssner
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 21, 2004
          Hi Fay,

          I paste this in the Hyperlink wizard produced by the default HTML clip
          library of my NT Pro 4.95:
          http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1404905

          And I get this result:

          All right -- can't reproduce your problem.

          Do you refer to another wizard? Or from another version of NoteTab?

          Anyway, the general explanations and remedy Jorma gave in reply to the
          topic are comprehensive and may do nevermind.

          On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:00:33 +1100, Fay wrote:

          >This is a funny one. Not a big deal, but still...
          >
          >I pasted a link into the Insert Hyperlink wizard. The link included a
          >question mark and an equals sign. When clicking the link gave me Page Not
          >Found I repasted the link manually and all was well.
          >
          >I find that the question mark is being changed to %3f and the equals sign
          >to%3d.
          >Why is it so? And, more to the point, is there something I can change to
          >stop this from happening?
          >
          >This line is directly pasted.
          >http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1404905

        • Fay
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 21, 2004
            Thanks Stefan,
            I have 4.92. Maybe I should update. Everything else works so beautifully,
            though, I might throw out the baby with the bathwater.
            Fay
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 22, 2004
              Fay,

              I think Eric addressed this issue in 4.95.

              Larry Hamilton

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 23, 2004
                OK. I should upgrade, obviously. However, I can only find free trials. Where
                do I go to upgrade my registered version of NoteTab Pro?
                Yes, of course any fool would know, but I'm a very *old* fool. I can't find
                it!

                Fay.
              • Don Passenger
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 24, 2004
                  http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.php
                  it comes in a wrapper that goes over top of the registered version
                  it is usually a very seamless changeover

                  one caution, if you have any clips in the libraries that come with
                  notetab, make a backup copy of those as they will be overwritten if you
                  do a complete update

                  clips in your own libraries will be unaffected, only the ones in the
                  "stock" libraries are affected by an update

                  Fay wrote:

                  > OK. I should upgrade, obviously. However, I can only find free trials. Where
                  > do I go to upgrade my registered version of NoteTab Pro?
                  > Yes, of course any fool would know, but I'm a very *old* fool. I can't find
                  > it!
                  >
                  > Fay.
                • Kathy Jungjohann
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 24, 2004
                    Just upgraded and it doesn't appear to pick-up any of the settings from the
                    old version. Darned if I can remember what colors I had the code set to
                    display - and where to make it automatically refresh the page when you view
                    it in your browser window, or to reload into the current browser window
                    instead of opening a new one for that matter. So you do have to go in and
                    reset all your options. Unless I missed something ...

                    Kathy

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 24, 2004
                      Hello Kathy,

                      >Just upgraded and it doesn't appear to pick-up
                      >any of the settings from the old version.
                      <snip>
                      >So you do have to go in and reset all your
                      >options. Unless I missed something ...

                      Before you do that, check if you really installed the new version over the old one. Sounds like you didn't. It's easy to create a new directory inside the old Notetab directory and install there by mistake... In that case you have two versions, each with its own settings.

                      Lotta
                    • Kathy Jungjohann
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 24, 2004
                        >... It's easy to create a new directory inside the old Notetab directory
                        >and install there by mistake... In that case you have two versions, each
                        >with its own settings.
                        >Lotta

                        You got it! That's exactly what happened!
                        Kathy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 24, 2004
                          Kathy wrote:
                          >You got it! That's exactly what happened!

                          Been there. Done that. Glad it was easily fixed. :-)

                          Lotta
                        • Stefan Elssner
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 28, 2004
                            Hi Fay,
                            On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:58:34 +1100, you wrote:

                            >OK. I should upgrade, obviously. However, I can only find free trials. Where
                            >do I go to upgrade my registered version of NoteTab Pro?

                            Just have a look at

                            http://www.notetab.ch/upgrade.htm
                            or
                            http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.htm