Win32 API, TClipbookList... Errors (was Re: [NH] Whew...NoteTab saved me hours...)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2004
      Hi Kerry,

      From NoteTab's PasteBack feature:

      Those errors are usually due to low resources. Sometimes they
      may be caused by certain file(s). It/they may open fine a few at
      a time, but when trying to load them all on startup is a
      different matter. If you get error messages like Win32 API,
      TClipbookList, NoteTab freezes, or seems to freeze up (which
      might be loading many MB) sometimes it can happen on startup
      because you had too many large documents to reload from when you
      last had NoteTab open. (Sometimes a reboot takes care of it if
      you have not done that yet, or closing other programs that may
      open when you start up Windows.)

      You may need to remove the files from NoteTab Pro's ini file;
      NotePro.ini found in its main folder. Try opening an editor that
      will read text documents like Notepad or Wordpad and open
      NotePro.ini found in its main folder. Scroll down till you get
      to the [Autoload] section and remove all the paths to the files
      to reload on startup. You might want to try it from a fresh
      Windows boot up as well. You can copy the file paths/names so
      that you can open the same files again easier when you get
      NoteTab running.

      You may edit the INI file inside NoteTab. Simply save the file
      with an exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini or !NoteTab.ini; Pro or
      Std/Light respectively) in front of it and restart NoteTab.
      Some programs have memory leaks in them as well as some Windows
      versions like WinME. Some programs do not release all the memory
      they were using while open. That can add up to not having enough
      memory for programs to start causing all kinds of errors.

      Windows has basically three types of memories: RAM, Virtual
      Memory (your hard disk), and a small section of RAM used for
      storing Windows object handles. When Windows runs out of system
      resources, it may have plenty of RAM left, but it runs out of
      space for storing handles. This is often when funny things start
      happening like the tab bar displaying blank tabs, or the Toolbar
      showing no icons.

      Only libraries open in the Clipbook window will occupy RAM. The
      more items, and the larger the Clips, the more RAM it uses up.
      Running Clips that create variables will take another chunk from
      RAM. Closing the Clipbook window will free several handles which
      occupy the third type of memory.

      Some things in NoteTab can cause extra memory to be used are:
      Large amounts of Favorites and long lists slow down the loading
      of NoteTab and use up a fair amount of RAM.

      A large Undo limit size. What is considered large is largely
      dependant on how many documents you open. Should rarely be a
      problem if you open less than 50 documents at a time.

      >I get an "EWin32 error" message when I try to open Note Tab Pro.
      >Do I need to re-install it?

      Happy html'n!

      www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
    • gilamo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
        Thank you for your helpful e-mail!!! I went into the ini file and
        took out a bunch of files that I don't work on much. I have this lazy
        habit of leaving them open "for later". That did the trick! Now I will
        close them when I am done!! :::smiles:::
        Thanks bunches!!!

        Kerry Anderson, New Mexico
        Check out our Christmas Ornaments and
        Dulcimer T-Shirts!