RE: [NH] html tidy

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2004
      Hi Don,

      > somewhere there is a file that controls the "switches" in tidy
      > for example at one time if I ran tidy, my page suddenly had proper
      > indenting and so forth
      > now it doesn't, so I must have turned that on or off

      Contrary to what the others say, I think it's all in your notepro.ini!!!!

      I do not have a tidy.cfg on my system, yet my tidying produces neat indented
      output.

      Twice now I have installed NoteTab together with tidy.exe on other machines
      only to find no indentation and lowercase tags. Reading NoteTab's help I
      see that Eric makes dark references to "using some of the settings in
      NoteTab to determine Tidy's output.

      I haven't yet worked out what those are, but explore in that area - auto
      tabbing and so on!

      Greg
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2004
        Greg Chapman wrote:

        > Hi Don,
        >
        > Contrary to what the others say, I think it's all in your notepro.ini!!!!
        >
        > I do not have a tidy.cfg on my system, yet my tidying produces neat
        indented
        > output.
        >
        > Twice now I have installed NoteTab together with tidy.exe on other
        machines
        > only to find no indentation and lowercase tags. Reading NoteTab's help I
        > see that Eric makes dark references to "using some of the settings in
        > NoteTab to determine Tidy's output.
        >
        > I haven't yet worked out what those are, but explore in that area - auto
        > tabbing and so on!
        >
        > Greg

        Greg, Don,

        I just scanned NotePro.ini and saw no references I think will work for
        tidy.cfg. Tidy, I believe, comes out of the box with a few 'default'
        parameters built-in, I think this is a probable source for, at least,
        some of the configuration NoteTab uses.

        hrs
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2004
          Thank you all for the responses so far! I have learned a bit from them
          and futher playing. I started with the help file and didn't find it all
          that helpful :-)

          The first thing I figured out was that there are two ways to invoke
          tidy. Today I was using the toolbar tools/tidy (control + f7). Then I
          figured out that it was on the second part of my clibbar in notetab pro.
          HTML-2 is the clipbar. In the HTML clip library is a clip called "Tidy
          HTML code" that opens and gives you a choice whether to use notetab
          commands (faster it says) or tidy.exe commands (more options it says).
          It allows you to select how you would like to proceed.

          If you select use the choice use tidy.exe commands, then you can choose
          to indent or not. There was also a tidy.cfg file which is simply a text
          file that you can adjust manually. I am unsure how to get tidy.exe to
          use that file however.

          I am making progress with your help.
        • hugo_paulissen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
            Don,

            NoteTab's Help says:
            "If you want more control over the settings, you can create a
            configuration file for Tidy, which you should save in the NoteTab
            folder with the name Tidy.cfg"

            Hugo

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
              Hi hrs,

              > I just scanned NotePro.ini and saw no references I think will work for
              > tidy.cfg. Tidy, I believe, comes out of the box with a few 'default'
              > parameters built-in, I think this is a probable source for, at least,
              > some of the configuration NoteTab uses.

              You misunderstand! I wasn't saying that notepro.ini had references to
              tify.cfg, I was saying that I understood that NoteTab calls tidy.exe with
              command line parameters determined by settings held by NoteTab.

              tidy.cfg is not a required file. My system doesn't have one. It's just a
              way of automatically setting a complex set tidy command line switches.

              I have now looked again at the references to HTMLTidy in NoteTab Help. The
              key sentence is:

              "NoteTab will try to determine the best switches based on the active
              document type and the HTML Tag option settings."

              That's why I referred to notepro.ini, since those settings will happen to be
              there.

              I did once ask Eric, through a post here, what that cryptic message actually
              meant, the first time I ran into the problem of lack of tidying to lower
              case tags and no indentation, but he didn't pick up on the post.

              Greg