Re: [NH] html tidy

  • Rudolf Horbas
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2004
      Hi Don,

      > somewhere there is a file that controls the "switches" in tidy
      > for example at one time if I ran tidy, my page suddenly had proper
      > indenting and so forth
      > now it doesn't, so I must have turned that on or off

      The file Tidy.cfg is in Your NoteTab directory. See also NoteTab Help,
      "HTML Tidy" (I'm not saying RTFM ;-) )
      If the file is not there, You must create it.

      Options are listed on
      http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html

      Hey, while I'm talkin': I just found the clip library with the tidy
      options I made back then, from the information on the page mentioned
      above. Not very elaborate assistants, but usable.
      Here it is for download:
      http://www.hypotext.de/downloads/ntp_lib_tidyoptions.zip

      I also get strange occasional changes in tidy's behaviour. Never found
      out why. Sometimes it changes entities into umlauts, most of the time it
      doesn't. Then again, it doesn't convert umlauts into entities, but in ASCII.
      I spent a lot of time on the config, but then gave up. Still use tidy a
      lot with the standard options (deleted Tidy.cfg)

      If someone on the list has an explanation for tidy's erratic behaviour,
      I'd be grateful, too.

      HTH,
      Rudi
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2004
        Hi Don,

        > somewhere there is a file that controls the "switches" in tidy
        > for example at one time if I ran tidy, my page suddenly had proper
        > indenting and so forth
        > now it doesn't, so I must have turned that on or off

        Contrary to what the others say, I think it's all in your notepro.ini!!!!

        I do not have a tidy.cfg on my system, yet my tidying produces neat indented
        output.

        Twice now I have installed NoteTab together with tidy.exe on other machines
        only to find no indentation and lowercase tags. Reading NoteTab's help I
        see that Eric makes dark references to "using some of the settings in
        NoteTab to determine Tidy's output.

        I haven't yet worked out what those are, but explore in that area - auto
        tabbing and so on!

        Greg
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2004
          Greg Chapman wrote:

          > Hi Don,
          >
          > Contrary to what the others say, I think it's all in your notepro.ini!!!!
          >
          > I do not have a tidy.cfg on my system, yet my tidying produces neat
          indented
          > output.
          >
          > Twice now I have installed NoteTab together with tidy.exe on other
          machines
          > only to find no indentation and lowercase tags. Reading NoteTab's help I
          > see that Eric makes dark references to "using some of the settings in
          > NoteTab to determine Tidy's output.
          >
          > I haven't yet worked out what those are, but explore in that area - auto
          > tabbing and so on!
          >
          > Greg

          Greg, Don,

          I just scanned NotePro.ini and saw no references I think will work for
          tidy.cfg. Tidy, I believe, comes out of the box with a few 'default'
          parameters built-in, I think this is a probable source for, at least,
          some of the configuration NoteTab uses.

          hrs
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2004
            Thank you all for the responses so far! I have learned a bit from them
            and futher playing. I started with the help file and didn't find it all
            that helpful :-)

            The first thing I figured out was that there are two ways to invoke
            tidy. Today I was using the toolbar tools/tidy (control + f7). Then I
            figured out that it was on the second part of my clibbar in notetab pro.
            HTML-2 is the clipbar. In the HTML clip library is a clip called "Tidy
            HTML code" that opens and gives you a choice whether to use notetab
            commands (faster it says) or tidy.exe commands (more options it says).
            It allows you to select how you would like to proceed.

            If you select use the choice use tidy.exe commands, then you can choose
            to indent or not. There was also a tidy.cfg file which is simply a text
            file that you can adjust manually. I am unsure how to get tidy.exe to
            use that file however.

            I am making progress with your help.
          • hugo_paulissen
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
              Don,

              NoteTab's Help says:
              "If you want more control over the settings, you can create a
              configuration file for Tidy, which you should save in the NoteTab
              folder with the name Tidy.cfg"

              Hugo

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
                Hi hrs,

                > I just scanned NotePro.ini and saw no references I think will work for
                > tidy.cfg. Tidy, I believe, comes out of the box with a few 'default'
                > parameters built-in, I think this is a probable source for, at least,
                > some of the configuration NoteTab uses.

                You misunderstand! I wasn't saying that notepro.ini had references to
                tify.cfg, I was saying that I understood that NoteTab calls tidy.exe with
                command line parameters determined by settings held by NoteTab.

                tidy.cfg is not a required file. My system doesn't have one. It's just a
                way of automatically setting a complex set tidy command line switches.

                I have now looked again at the references to HTMLTidy in NoteTab Help. The
                key sentence is:

                "NoteTab will try to determine the best switches based on the active
                document type and the HTML Tag option settings."

                That's why I referred to notepro.ini, since those settings will happen to be
                there.

                I did once ask Eric, through a post here, what that cryptic message actually
                meant, the first time I ran into the problem of lack of tidying to lower
                case tags and no indentation, but he didn't pick up on the post.

                Greg