Re: "Printer Friendly" features

  • Jorma Oksanen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2003
      On 20 Dec 2003 at 15:29, Ray Shapp wrote:

      > My first idea is merely to format the plain
      > black text using Arial on a plain white background without any graphics or
      > hyperlinks. Do any of you have alternate suggestions? What are good
      > standards for making printer friendly pages?

      If there's only one page which isn't updated often, it's easier to do what you
      suggest. If there are several pages or the content changes, it's better to use
      CSS media types to style/format printer output. That avoids separate printer-
      friendly page altogether.

      http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html

      IIRC Netscape 4 doesn't understand media="print" at all, so if you want to
      support NS4 users then you have to add separate page. Forget forcing Arial
      as well, that way user can print the page with their prefered font face and size.

      Jorma