Re: RE: [NH] Word 2002 to HTML

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 7, 2003
      Hi John and Alec,

      <<have you considered using the alt tag in your images?>>

      Yes, I always use the alt tag -- Tidy demands it.

      <<"Save as ... filtered HTML", >>

      I don't use Word 2000 anymore, but in Word 2002, the Save as... Save as Type
      window option is "Web Page, Filtered (*.htm; *.html)".

      <<since switching to the Directory Opus file manager last spring >>

      That comment got me looking for file renaming utilities, and I settled on
      Flash Renamer by rl vision ( http://www.rlvision.com/ ).

      Problem solved!

      Thanks to all who helped.

      Ray Shapp
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 7, 2003
        Glad you found your answer Ray..

        I have to admit I've been kicking myself in the head ever since I
        posted what I did about using the "alt tag" because there ain't no
        such animal as an alt tag. I have bad habit of misusing the HTML
        term of "tag". I know what a tag is, but I tend to use that term
        where I really shouldn't. Just to set the record straight, the
        alt "tag" is really an "attribute" of the img element (and other
        elements as well).

        Thanks to all for not taking me to the woodshed for inaccurately
        stating things before..

        John

        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, R Shapp <ras45@o...> wrote:
        > Hi John and Alec,
        >
        > <<have you considered using the alt tag in your images?>>

        > Problem solved!
        >
        > Thanks to all who helped.
        >
        > Ray Shapp
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 9, 2003
          Alec Burgess wrote:
          > Ditto d/l'ing and attempting to install w/fingers crossed (You don't
          > have Office 2000 - ya, I know :-( )
          >
          > Any suggestions? - noting that you said you'd "only seen WORD2002
          > once" :-) I guess "Save as ... filtered HTML", open in browser and
          > then "Copy partial source" would work though
          >
          > Regards ... Alec

          I have Word 2002 at work, and hate its efforts at HTML. I have also had
          others send me web pages created by Word 2002.

          I will keep the suggestions in mind next time.

          What I have found works best with pre-existing HTML created by Word 2002 is
          to open it with Open Office. When it is saved, it cleans out the
          non-essential stuff. If I recall it works best if you use Word to save the
          HTML document as a DOC then open in Open Office and save as HTML. It is a
          big download, but I find it worth it to not have to fiddle with trying to
          clean up the MS non-standard HTML.

          Larry Hamilton
          lmh@...
          http://notlimah.tripod.com/
        • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 9, 2003
            I see what Larry Hamilton says about Open Office and cleaning up or producing
            better HTML. Open Office also allows editing and producing Powerpoint files.
            But it is too awkward and unreliable. How does 602Text compare? To me its
            HTML is a half way house with a long internal style sheet, and a lot of classes
            and repeated styles after every paragraph opening tag:

            <.p class="Normal" style="text-indent: -39px; margin-left: 39px; font-size:
            12pt; ">

            It is hopeless at importing a .doc document generated by Word, and especially
            with tables (they all are) and the html out is unreliable in effect. Humans are
            the most economical and efficient. But Textshield (rtf writer that reads .doc,
            adds images, and saves several ways) didn't do too badly, with no style sheet
            but repeated styles, except what should have been ULs became OLs. (..
            added)

            <BODY bgcolor=White>

            <.p align="center" style="text-indent: 0; margin-left: 0; margin-right: 0">
            <.FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS" SIZE=+1 COLOR=WindowText>
            <.span style="background-color: Window">
            <.font size="3">.<.U>Families.<./P>
            <.p style="text-indent: 0; margin-left: 0; margin-right: 0">.<./P>
            <.p style="text-indent: 0; margin-left: 0; margin-right: 0">.<./U>Today it is
            recognised that families come in all shapes and sizes. It used to be easy to
            define a family. It meant two parents and 2.4 children, as an average. Now
            families exist:.<./P>
            <.p style="text-indent: 0; margin-left: 0; margin-right: 0">.<./P>
            <.p style="text-indent: 18; margin-left: 0; margin-right: 0">.<.OL>
            <.LI>With one or two parents.<./LI>.<.LI>
            Parents who are married or unmarried.<./LI>.<.LI>
            Parents of two sexes and occasionally one.<./LI>.<.LI>
            Adults with children and without children.<./LI>.<.LI>
            Three generations or more in one house.<./LI>.<.LI>
            Children of different partners with one parent in common.<./LI>.<.LI>
            Children alternating between parents' houses.<./LI>.<.LI>
            Some children knowing four parents each and eight grandparents.<./LI>.<.LI>
            Some children knowing even more!.<./LI>.<.LI>
            Some children not genetically their parentsÂ’ children (being adopted and
            otherwise!).<./LI>
            <./LI>.<./OL>
            Was it ever really any different or is this just more recognised? Go around any
            graveyard and see clues; look at the half-truths revealed and concealed in any
            family tree exercise (is genealogy deception?)..<./P>

            Adrian Worsfold

            http://www.pluralist.co.uk
          • Mark McLaughlin
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 10, 2003
              Further to this topic folks may want to check out the Demoroniser:

              http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/

              It's designed to clean up HTML that was written by Micro$oft
              applications.

              Cheers

              Mark McLaughlin
              Best Color Video Production CD-ROM Website Design
              mailto:mark@... Ph. 250-744-4111 Fx.
              www.bestcolorvideo.com/
              www.BCVnet.com Website Hosting & Server Colocation
              " We Produce Videos & Internet Websites for YOUR Business "

            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 17, 2003
                Hi Alec,

                Sorry! Just realised I never responded....

                > The copy as HTML feature sounds neat. I've got Office 2002
                > I tried searching in Word 2002's Help for "copy as html" hoping
                > it had been supplied as standard - no joy
                > Ditto checking Word-Tools-Options-General-Web Options
                > Ditto Google: "copy as html" "Office 2002"
                > Ditto d/l'ing and attempting to install w/fingers crossed (You don't have
                > Office 2000 - ya, I know :-( )
                >
                > Any suggestions? - noting that you said you'd "only seen WORD2002
                > once" :-)

                And the answer is no! :-(

                A student brought his own laptop to a session I was running. It really was
                "only seen once"!

                All I could do is send you a zipped WORD file which includes screen dumps of
                the various filter windows - to show you what you are missing!

                Greg
              • Kathy Jungjohann
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 17, 2003
                  Greg,
                  That must be where I going wrong as well:
                  Not setting the filter options right ...
                  even choosing filtered html leaves all the junk in ...
                  Please send screen snaps to me as well ...

                  Kathy

                  > > Any suggestions? - noting that you said you'd "only seen WORD2002
                  > > once" :-)
                  >And the answer is no! :-(
                  >All I could do is send you a zipped WORD file which includes screen dumps of
                  >the various filter windows - to show you what you are missing!
                  >
                  >Greg
                • Greg Chapman
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 17, 2003
                    Hi Kathy,

                    > That must be where I going wrong as well:
                    > Not setting the filter options right ...
                    > even choosing filtered html leaves all the junk in ...
                    > Please send screen snaps to me as well ...

                    You have been following the thread and are aware that the HTML Filter
                    (msohtmf2.exe) only works in WORD 2000, not 2002, aren't you?

                    I've uploaded to the link below a file containing text extracted from a
                    couple of pages from the MS Support site, which provide installation and
                    some usage instructions, and some screen dumps showing the window appearance
                    and options screen.

                    Visit:
                    http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/HTMLFilterNotes.zip

                    Greg
                  • Kathy Jungjohann
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 17, 2003
                      Yes, have been following thread ... been meaning to jump in ...
                      It's only with 2002 that I haven't been able to solve the conversion problem.
                      (Oh, for the good ol' days of a simpler Word conversion ...)
                      There are a lot of alt characters in the text I need to convert - accented
                      letters.
                      Texism used to work until he rewrote the program and it replaced all
                      accented letters with question marks - no matter how I tried saving the
                      file!! (Maybe he's rewritten it again since I quit using it, and it is now
                      more successful ...) http://textism.com/wordcleaner/

                      Thanks,
                      Kathy

                      >You have been following the thread and are aware that the HTML Filter
                      >(msohtmf2.exe) only works in WORD 2000, not 2002, aren't you?
                      >
                      >Visit:
                      >http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/HTMLFilterNotes.zip
                      >
                      >Greg
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 17, 2003
                        Greg:

                        I've found that the built-in Word 2002 option to save as ... web-filtered
                        and then opening in a browser and using their Copy partial source is
                        adequate if clumsy.

                        Just for fun, I created a simple empty 2x2 table, saved as web-filtered,
                        opened in Notetab and ran Tidy against it. The error report showed just:

                        line 8 column 1 - Warning: <style> lacks "type" attribute
                        line 37 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
                        <<
                        seems good enough to me :-)
                        I don't do enough with Word and/or HTML to be seriously bothered.

                        > All I could do is send you a zipped WORD file which includes screen
                        > dumps of the various filter windows - to show you what you are
                        > missing!

                        Please do.

                        Regards ... Alec

                        > Sorry! Just realised I never responded....
                        >
                        >> The copy as HTML feature sounds neat. I've got Office 2002
                        >> I tried searching in Word 2002's Help for "copy as html" hoping
                        >> it had been supplied as standard - no joy
                        >> Ditto checking Word-Tools-Options-General-Web Options
                        >> Ditto Google: "copy as html" "Office 2002"
                        >> Ditto d/l'ing and attempting to install w/fingers crossed (You don't
                        >> have Office 2000 - ya, I know :-( )
                        >>
                        >> Any suggestions? - noting that you said you'd "only seen WORD2002
                        >> once" :-)
                        >
                        > And the answer is no! :-(
                        >
                        > A student brought his own laptop to a session I was running. It
                        > really was "only seen once"!
                        >
                        > All I could do is send you a zipped WORD file which includes screen
                        > dumps of the various filter windows - to show you what you are
                        > missing!
                      • Greg Chapman
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 18, 2003
                          Hi Alec,

                          > > All I could do is send you a zipped WORD file which includes screen
                          > > dumps of the various filter windows - to show you what you are
                          > > missing!
                          >
                          > Please do.

                          Hope the link:
                          http://www.eastwalton.fsworld.co.uk/HTMLFilterNotes.zip
                          sufficed!

                          Greg
                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 18, 2003
                            Thanks Greg.

                            It looks like the Word 2002 "save as ... Html-filtered" does basically the
                            same thing (possibly excluding some of the optional removals) but only one
                            at a time.

                            I guess only Bill knows why it wasn't included in OfficeXP

                            Regards ... Alec