Re: [NH] CSS Div Width

  • wilkinsonm
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@t...> wrote:

      > It's the XML declaration. *Anything* before the doctype puts IE6 in
      Quirks Mode.
      > <http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html>

      Hey Lotta - Thanks!

      Now there's only one problem. If I remove the XML declaration the
      w3.org validation service doesn't work. It can't decide what kind of
      document I have. I even tried putting the declaration after the
      doctype, but no joy. Is there any standards-compliant solution or do I
      just grin and pretend I know what I'm doing?

      TIA - Mike
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
        >Hey Lotta - Thanks!
        >
        >Now there's only one problem. If I remove the XML declaration the
        >w3.org validation service doesn't work. It can't decide what kind of
        >document I have. I even tried putting the declaration after the
        >doctype, but no joy. Is there any standards-compliant solution or do I
        >just grin and pretend I know what I'm doing?

        You are welcome Mike. ;-)

        It should work since this is what most people do. Or do you mean that the validator can't detect a character encoding? Make sure the server sends UTF-8 and if you upload a local file slap a meta tag in or use the validator's "extended interface" and the encoding drop-down box.

        Or just revert to HTML since that's how browsers will handle it anyway. :-o