Re: [NH] CSS Div Width

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
      wilkinsonm wrote:

      >With IE6 I'm getting unexpected results when using CSS to set the
      >height and width of a <div>. When using a "strict" !DOCTYPE
      >declaration I expected the width to be just the width of
      >the "content." Instead, I am getting the width of the content plus
      >the width of the border and padding.

      >I am using this at the beginning of my file:

      ><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      ><!DOCTYPE html
      > PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

      It's the XML declaration. *Anything* before the doctype puts IE6 in Quirks Mode.
      <http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html>

      The XML declaration also triggers Quirks Mode in early versions of Opera 7 btw. They later came to their senses and removed this and some other IE bug mimicry.

      Lotta
    • wilkinsonm
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@t...> wrote:

        > It's the XML declaration. *Anything* before the doctype puts IE6 in
        Quirks Mode.
        > <http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html>

        Hey Lotta - Thanks!

        Now there's only one problem. If I remove the XML declaration the
        w3.org validation service doesn't work. It can't decide what kind of
        document I have. I even tried putting the declaration after the
        doctype, but no joy. Is there any standards-compliant solution or do I
        just grin and pretend I know what I'm doing?

        TIA - Mike
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
          >Hey Lotta - Thanks!
          >
          >Now there's only one problem. If I remove the XML declaration the
          >w3.org validation service doesn't work. It can't decide what kind of
          >document I have. I even tried putting the declaration after the
          >doctype, but no joy. Is there any standards-compliant solution or do I
          >just grin and pretend I know what I'm doing?

          You are welcome Mike. ;-)

          It should work since this is what most people do. Or do you mean that the validator can't detect a character encoding? Make sure the server sends UTF-8 and if you upload a local file slap a meta tag in or use the validator's "extended interface" and the encoding drop-down box.

          Or just revert to HTML since that's how browsers will handle it anyway. :-o