Re: Re: [NH] Browsers.dat Settings for Mozilla Family

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 41 , Nov 5, 2003
      Hrs/Ed:

      Re the clip I posted earlier to open a file in an arbitrary browser:
      Using this line:
      ^!url [^%theBrowser%] ^%theFile%

      where %theFile% has been set to ^** (ie. the current file) causes
      MozillaFirebird to receive this in its address bar:
      http://temp/efo~3.htm

      If instead I drag that file from Windows Explorer into an open instance of
      MozillaFirebird it opens correctly and shows a URL of:
      file:///C:/TEMP/efo~3.htm

      Selecting Opera as the target broswer generates this URL in the address bar:
      file://localhost/C:/TEMP/efo~3.htm
      which when pasted back into MozillaFirebird works just fine.

      Selecting an IE-based browser (MyIE2) puts this in the address bar:
      file:///C:/TEMP/efo~3.htm

      To handle this anamoly - seems like the bug is shared 50-50 by Notetab and
      MozillaFirebird to me :-)
      I modified my script as follows:

      H="Choose Browser"
      :^!setdebug ON
      ^!set %currFile%=^**
      ^!set %theFile%=^?[File to open==^%currFile%]
      ;
      ;--long line start
      ^!set %theBrowser%=^?[Browser to
      use==Sleipnir|iRider|iRider_noDDE|SlimBrowser|IE|Opera|MozillaFirebird -brow
      ser|Mozilla|MozillaFirebird|_MyIE2|Lynx]
      ;--long line end
      ^!ifdiff ^$StrIndex(^%theFile%;2)$ : OpenBrowser
      ^!set %theFile%=file:///^%theFile%
      ^!set %theFile%=^$StrReplace("\";"/";^%theFile%;False;False)$
      :OpenBrowser
      ^!url [^%theBrowser%] ^%theFile%
      ;--end clip

      Note:
      the "^!ifdiff" line checks for a ":" (as in C:\\...)
      the "^StrReplace" changes back-slashes to forward-slashes - its not
      neccessary as without it the file spec gets handled successfully as
      file:///C:%5CTEMP%5Cefo~3.htm but it looks cleaner!

      Hrs/Ed - let me know if this works for you as a replacement/workaround for
      the builtin OpenInBrowser function.
      I've tested it with MozillaFirebird, MyIE2 and Opera 7.2 so I assume it will
      work across the board.

      Hrs - where did you find the "-browser" option for Firebird? (I added it as
      a separate entry to my browsers.dat file selectable in the Wizard as
      "MozillaFirebird -browser")

      btw: in your browsers.dat entry for [fb] you're copying the lines after
      "UseDDE=0" from Eric's example correct? - doesn't hurt, but if UseDDE is
      zero all the rest of it is ignored so all you'd need is:
      > [fb]
      > Command=C:\MozillaFirebird\MozillaFirebird.exe -browser

      so my entry for "regular" MozillaFirebird is just:
      > [MozillaFirebird]
      > Command=C:\MozillaFirebird\MozillaFirebird.exe

      thought it might be worth pointing out ...

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 41 of 41 , Nov 10, 2003
        Ed:

        > ^!url [^%theBrowser%] ^%theFile%
        > What goes in the Brackets? If I am working with MozillaFireBird, does
        > it look like this. ^!url [^%MozillaFireBird%] and what goes in ^%the
        > File% Is this where the file path goes? I am not sure that I asked
        > the questions that Imeant to ask.
        >
        > And what about this? ^!Url [browser] <url> Would this look like this:
        > ^Url [MozillaFireBird] C:\Program
        > Files\MozillaFireBird\MozillaFireBird.exe ??

        if you look in the Help-Clips for command ^!url you'll see that what goes in
        the square brackets is the identification of a browser. It has to match
        whatever the name assigned to it was in the file browsers.dat.

        So in my clip in message 4144 (reposted below) in the wizard:
        ;--long line start
        ^!set %theBrowser%=^?[Browser to
        use==Sleipnir|iRider|iRider_noDDE|SlimBrowser|IE|Opera|MozillaFirebird -brow
        ser|Mozilla|MozillaFirebird|_MyIE2|Lynx]
        ;--long line end

        you are asked to choose what browser you want and that name becomes the
        contents of the variable ^%theBrowser%. So the location of (in your case)
        the executable for MozillaFirebird gets taken from that file. Each of the
        choices offered by the wizard has to match one of the entries in
        browsers.dat (I'm including the contents of *my* browsers.dat below the sig
        line).

        In the help where it says <url> the angle-brackets are *NOT* to be included
        unlike the square-brackets surrounding browser. (It took me a couple of
        re-reads too, to make sure I was understanding the way Eric intended it to
        be used.

        So (again) in my clip the wizard:
        ^!set %currFile%=^**
        ^!set %theFile%=^?[File to open==^%currFile%]

        defaults the variable ^%theFile% to ^** which is the "name" of the current
        file being edited in Notetab, and normally the one that you want to launch.
        You could override it by pasting a normal URL or the file spec on another
        HTML file on your disk or one open in your Notetab (obtain name by
        right-click <copy name> on tab)

        As I mentioned before any entry in browsers.dat that has UseDDE=0 is
        *exactly* the same as not having that parameter or anything below it present
        at all.

        Sorry for the length of this for those who could care less - hope this makes
        sense Ed :-)

        Regards ... Alec
        --
        == clip reposted ===
        H="Choose Browser"
        :^!setdebug ON
        ^!set %currFile%=^**
        ^!set %theFile%=^?[File to open==^%currFile%]
        ;
        ;--long line start
        ^!set %theBrowser%=^?[Browser to
        use==Sleipnir|iRider|iRider_noDDE|SlimBrowser|IE|Opera|MozillaFirebird -brow
        ser|Mozilla|MozillaFirebird|_MyIE2|Lynx]
        ;--long line end
        ^!ifdiff ^$StrIndex(^%theFile%;2)$ : OpenBrowser
        ^!set %theFile%=file:///^%theFile%
        ^!set %theFile%=^$StrReplace("\";"/";^%theFile%;False;False)$
        :OpenBrowser
        ^!url [^%theBrowser%] ^%theFile%
        ;--end clip

        == end clip ===

        === my browsers.dat === (these names all match entries in the clipwizard)
        ===
        [ie]
        Command=iexplore.exe -nohome
        UseDDE=1
        Application=IExplore
        DdeCommand=
        DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
        Topic=WWW_OpenURL
        Application_New=
        DdeExec_New=
        Topic_New=

        [Sleipnir]
        Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF-notins\Sleipnir\Sleipnir.exe"
        UseDDE=0
        Application=IExplore
        DdeCommand=
        DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
        Topic=WWW_OpenURL
        Application_New=
        DdeExec_New=
        Topic_New=

        [Opera7]
        ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of
        the browser
        Command=Opera.exe
        UseDDE=1
        Application=Opera
        DdeCommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e

        [iRider]
        Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\iRider\iRider.exe"
        UseDDE=1
        Application=IExplore
        DdeCommand=
        DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
        Topic=WWW_OpenURL
        Application_New=
        DdeExec_New=
        Topic_New=

        [iRider_noDDE]
        Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\iRider\iRider.exe"
        UseDDE=0
        Application=IExplore
        DdeCommand=
        DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
        Topic=WWW_OpenURL
        Application_New=
        DdeExec_New=
        Topic_New=

        [SlimBrowser]
        Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\SlimBrowser\sbrowser.exe"
        UseDDE=1
        Application=IExplore
        DdeCommand=
        DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
        Topic=WWW_OpenURL
        Application_New=
        DdeExec_New=
        Topic_New=

        [MozillaFirebird -browser]
        Command="C:\Program
        Files\AmbPF-notins\MozillaFirebird\MozillaFirebird\MozillaFirebird.exe" -bro
        wser

        [MozillaFirebird]
        Command="C:\Program
        Files\AmbPF-notins\MozillaFirebird\MozillaFirebird\MozillaFirebird.exe"

        [MyIE2]
        Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\MYIE2\MyIE.exe"
        UseDDE=1
        Application=IExplore
        DdeCommand=
        DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
        Topic=WWW_OpenURL
        Application_New=
        DdeExec_New=
        Topic_New=

        [Lynx]
        Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF-notins\Lynx\lynx.exe"

        [Mozilla]
        Command="C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe"