Re: [NH] css

    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 30, 2003
      Neil Felton wrote:
      >I had two html pages accessing the same css file successfully, made some alterations, now one of those pages is not displaying a background and the other is and I'm going round in circles trying to fathom the difference. The css line (class) concerned is -
      >.bg1 {background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) background-repeat: repeat-y;}
      >All other code is being accepted by both pages. The two pages are in different directories, the one that doesn't have a problem is in the same directory as the css file. The one with the problem is one level up and has the path thus -
      ><link rel="stylesheet" href="pages/pages.css">
      >The other is simply <link rel="stylesheet" href="pages.css">

      In the page where the background shows up, does it also repeat only along the y-axis? I'm wondering because the declaration isn't correct (you use a full declaration for background-repeat instead of only the value) so the repeat-y should be ignored. If you see it correctly it could maybe be because of some caching oddity if this rule is among your recent changes. Some browser or other might 'mend' the declaration of course but IE5 doesn't and I doubt they get more helpful than that one!

      If that's the case maybe the background really is missing from both pages... I know! It's a long shot but you need to fix that rule anyway so... ;-)

      Lotta
    • Neil Felton
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 30, 2003
        > >I had two html pages accessing the same css file successfully, made some
        alterations, now one of those pages is not displaying a background and the
        other is and I'm going round in circles trying to fathom the difference. The
        css line (class) concerned is -
        > >.bg1 {background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) background-repeat:
        repeat-y;}
        > >All other code is being accepted by both pages. The two pages are in
        different directories, the one that doesn't have a problem is in the same
        directory as the css file. The one with the problem is one level up and has
        the path thus -
        > ><link rel="stylesheet" href="pages/pages.css">
        > >The other is simply <link rel="stylesheet" href="pages.css">
        >

        > In the page where the background shows up, does it also repeat only along
        the y-axis? I'm wondering because the declaration isn't correct (you use a
        full declaration for background-repeat instead of only the value) so the
        repeat-y should be ignored. If you see it correctly it could maybe be
        because of some caching oddity if this rule is among your recent changes.
        Some browser or other might 'mend' the declaration of course but IE5 doesn't
        and I doubt they get more helpful than that one!

        > If that's the case maybe the background really is missing from both
        pages... I know! It's a long shot but you need to fix that rule anyway so...
        ;-)

        > Lotta

        ......Neil......Thanks Loro and Don, I have found the anomaly! I was using
        an html verifier and found it would'nt read the page because of the doc
        type, <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

        I added the following source link and it accepted the page
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

        ...but I had to remove the source link for the particular background code
        with the repeat-y to work. Does this make sense?
        Don, the URL is www.artis.co.nz/pages.htm As I said though, it is now
        working through my browser at least. I'd appreciate it if you would let me
        know if the shaded green background does work as it appears to for me,
        repeating only on the y axis (vertically). Loro could you explain how my
        rendering of that code is wrong?
        Thanks
        Neil

        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 30, 2003
          Neil Felton wrote:
          >......Neil......Thanks Loro and Don, I have found the anomaly! I was using
          >an html verifier and found it would'nt read the page because of the doc
          >type, <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
          >
          >I added the following source link and it accepted the page
          > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
          >
          >...but I had to remove the source link for the particular background code
          >with the repeat-y to work. Does this make sense?

          Don't know. I'm afraid you lost me there.

          Nope. It repeats in both directions if your resolution is high enough. I don't see it @ 1024*768 because the image itself is wide enough to not tile but @ higher res than that it shows.

          > Loro could you explain how my
          >rendering of that code is wrong?

          I'll try. You have this:

          .bg1 {background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) background-repeat: repeat-y;}

          'background' is shorthand for all background properties. Meaning you can shove all their _values_ together in one declaration. You don't have to (aren't allowed to) use their individual property names. You have actually put one declaration (background-repeat:...) inside another (background:...)

          You can write it so:
          .bg1 { background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) repeat-y }
          /* shorthand */

          Or so:
          bg1 { background-color: #ffffff;
          background-image: url(images/bkgrnd.jpg);
          background-repeat: repeat-y }
          /* Individual declarations */

          Or even so:
          .bg1 { background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg);
          background-repeat: repeat-y }
          /* shorthand where 1 property is overridden by a later declaration.
          Don't change the order of this or it will get another meaning. */

          You could even split the last one up in two rules.
          .bg1 { background: #ffffff url(images/bkgrnd.jpg) }
          .bg1 { background-repeat: repeat-y }
          /* Same as above - order matters. */

          And then some.

          <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/colors.html#propdef-background>
          Note that the properties that aren't explicitly used in the shorthand are automatically set to their *initial values*. That's why you must have the last two examples in that order. If the background shorthand comes after the declaration for background-repeat it will reset background repeat to its initial value, i.e. repeat.

          Hope I didn't make it muddier instead of clearer! I kinda fear I did.

          Lotta
        • Neil Felton
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 31, 2003

            Loro wrote:

            > Don't know. I'm afraid you lost me there.

            ................Loro, when I had the source link, as I called it, the
            background didn't display at all.

            > Nope. It repeats in both directions if your resolution is high enough. I
            don't see it @ 1024*768 because the image itself is wide enough to not tile
            but @ higher res than that it shows.

            ...............thanks, and your explanation of how it should be coded makes
            sense to me. I'll try doing it propa.
            Thanks again
            Neil

          • Edward
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 29, 2007
              Hi Everyone,
              I have a new css page up that goes with the index.html in the test-pages. Don, you and I know that only IE can read the top part of the css. So I would like to have two css pages. One for IE which will not ever pass W3C CSS Validator and the other for all other browsers which sooner or later it will pass. I read some of your messages concerning using more than one css but it did not all sink in, the sink is stopped up. :-)) This is what the IE only looks like:

              body {
              font-weight: bold;
              font-size: 12pt;
              font-family: arial, helvetica;
              font-weight: bold; background: ccffff;
              scrollbar-color: #FFFFF0;
              scrollbar-highlight-color: #FFFFF0;
              scrollbar-shadow-color: #663300;
              scrollbar-3dlight-color: #FFFFFF0;
              scrollbar-arrow-color: #FF0000;
              scrollbar-track-color: #663300;
              scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #000080;
              scrollbar-face-color: #FCFBDC;
              bgcolor: #FCFBDC;
              background: #FCFBDC;
              }
              ------------------------------------------tear from mycss.css.-------------------------------------

              Now I want to use this for all the other browsers:
              body {
              font-weight: bold;
              font-size: 12pt;
              font-family: arial, helvetica;
              font-weight: bold; background: ccffff;

              }

              h1
              {text-align: center;
              color: #663300;
              }
              h2
              {text-align: center;
              color: #663300;
              }

              Thanks
              Ed

              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 29, 2007
                Edward wrote:
                > body { font-size: 12pt;

                One thing:
                Never ever use font size except for small parts of your pages and then
                only relative sizes. I know what my eyes and my screen are like and I
                have chosen the font size I find most pleasant and easy to read. If you
                want me to read your stuff, you had better accept that.
                And anyway, in all those of my browsers that allow it, the minimum font
                size allowed is set to 14 pt. If you haven't made other sizes on your
                page relative to the font size this will mess up a lot more and also
                lose suble font size differences that might actually make sense.

                In HTML the reader is the arbiter over how stuff looks - it has been
                designed that way from the start. And if you don't accept that and want
                to force your readers to endure things the way you think fit you'll have
                to pay them decent wages. It's not that there weren't other sites out
                there to go to.
              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 29, 2007
                  Thanks very much for your input and I will try to make the changes you
                  suggested.
                  Again thanks
                  Ed