Re: [NH] Battle of the Browsers (was Making NoteTab "bind")

  • Stefan Elssner
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2000
      Hi all,

      Wayne wrote:

      >Opera does many things right, and is a great browser. It allows
      >multiple browser windows within a single instance, but the user
      >interface for controlling the windows is archaic. ...
      > ... ...

      The old-style MDI interface Opera uses lacks indeed a bit of the
      easy-view abilities a tabbed interface provides. On the other hand,
      you can in short time learn to command it with some simple key-
      strokes, and then you can have even more flexibility in views than a
      tabbed interface can give, IMHO. Maybe a combination of both
      interface concepts would be very nice... ;-)

      There is a somewhat stable beta#2 of Opera 4.0 out now at
      http://www.opera.com/

      This version supports HTML 4.0 and CSS 2.0 standards (but not as
      full as the latest Netscape/Mozilla milestone 14 beta, I found. The
      Netscape 6 preview I havent tested yet.)

      The current official Opera is still 3.62, and this *doesn't* support
      HMTL 4.0, only 3.2 and CSS 1.0. Therefore one will encounter some
      rendering probs with pages that make extensive use of HTML 4.0 and
      esp. CSS 2. However, as Wayne said, the crashes occuring sometimes
      are rather due to *bad* HTML or javascripting on some pages, than to
      bad implementation in Opera itself.

      There were problems posted to the german Opera newsgroup with using
      the Opera 4 Beta1 when there was an expired version of an earlier
      trial version on the computer, even after uninstalling that. In such
      cases the v4 Beta is reported to say "expired" and to not run at
      all. I'm not aware whether this problem is fixed in Beta 2, or if it
      is even an indended behaviour at all.

      The download is still less than 1.5 MB... ;-)

      Stefan
      ---
      Stefan Elssner
      elssner@...