Re: Re: [NH] HTML templates

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
      >To: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
      >From: Rudolf Horbas <rhorbas@...>
      >Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:59:31 +0100
      >Subject: Re: [NH] HTML templates
      >
      >Hi Ed,
      >
      > > In trying to use the HTML template for a web page, I get the clip
      > instead of
      > > the template. I was trying to find the template to change my email
      address
      > > and messed things up.
      > >
      > > And in the template it gives a wrong email address. This is no longer
      > > correct and I would like to change the address and other information in
      > the
      > > Template.
      > > How do I do this?
      >
      >You mean You want to edit the template instead of running it?
      >
      >Here's how:
      >"File -> Template -> Edit"
      >
      >!Not: "Open" (I guess that's what You're doing)
      >
      >HTH,
      >Rudi (off to dinner now :-))

      Rudi,
      Thank you very much for your fast reply, but due to my own lack of
      understanding this was too deep for me as I will explain below.
      Ed

      I see one error that I made already, I subscribed to a group when I wanted
      to subscribe to an email list. But never the less this does not really
      answer my question. I found this before but rejected it, too complicated
      for me. For instance it gives this. {Your &e-mail address=^%Email%}; What
      is this. My email address is not ^%Email% as far as I am concerned, that
      looks suspiciously like an unknown language called "clips" which I do not
      speak one word of. The mail address that clip contains is
      edbrown@.... which is no longer valid. I want to change to read
      ebrown27@... so how do I do that, so when the template comes up it
      I can change it. Actually I do not even want that up, I want this.
      <a
      href="mailto:ebrown27@be&#
      108;lsouth.net"></a>
      Thanks for your help
      Ed
    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
        Hi Ed,

        > In trying to use the HTML template for a web page, I get the clip instead of
        > the template. I was trying to find the template to change my email address
        > and messed things up.
        >
        > And in the template it gives a wrong email address. This is no longer
        > correct and I would like to change the address and other information in the
        > Template.
        > How do I do this?

        You mean You want to edit the template instead of running it?

        Here's how:
        "File -> Template -> Edit"

        !Not: "Open" (I guess that's what You're doing)

        HTH,
        Rudi (off to dinner now :-))
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
          I think if I understand correctly, you just need to run the template fresh
          this time, replace your info which is stored in the ini file for reuse
          later.

          --

          Don Passenger
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
            Ed, Run the template once and it will remember the value you use when you
            run it again!

            --

            Don Passenger
          • Ed
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
              --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:
              > I think if I understand correctly, you just need to run the template
              fresh
              > this time, replace your info which is stored in the ini file for reuse
              > later.
              >
              > --
              >
              > Don Passenger

              Don,
              IF you mean change it in the template I did that. But next time I
              wanted to use the template it brought up the old email addy. So it
              looks as if I will have to go to CLIPs and see if someone will show me
              how to change the information contained in the clip.
              Ed
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
                OK, I think I understand what I am doing wrong. Where do I go to get the wizard?
                Ed
                >> I think if I understand correctly, you just need to run the
                >> template fresh
                >
                >> this time, replace your info which is stored in the ini file for reuse
                >> later.
                >>
                >> Don Passenger
                >
                > Don,
                > IF you mean change it in the template I did that. But next time I
                > wanted to use the template it brought up the old email addy. So it
                > looks as if I will have to go to CLIPs and see if someone will show me
                > how to change the information contained in the clip.
                > Ed

                Ed, Don,

                After looking at the HTML template it appears Don is correct. If you
                run the template completely through both wizards the email address
                should change to, and offer, the latest entry upon next use.

                And, in fact, the email address offered does change on the next run, I
                ran the template to verify that.

                If it doesn't work for you there may be an error in the template text,
                you might try to edit it, or, if you would rather, try to obtain another
                copy of HTML.tpl.

                hrs

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
                  SIGH! Sigh! That is what I thought the first time around. So I did it and believe me it is not doing bringing up the correct address for some unknown reason. When I click on it the template or wizard opens with all the old information. I just put the correct address in the block that says email address, clicked on it and it put the new address in on the page but then closed it. Closed NoteTab Pro. Brought it up again clicked on new web page and again it brought up the OLD ADDRESS. It does not remember the new one. Why I don't have a clue. Believe me on this computer it is not working right.
                  Ed
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
                      NoteTab Pro 4.86c/np (Full Version)
                      As far as I can tell we are talking apples, but I hope you are not talking Winesap as I am talking Delicious. ;-).
                      Ed
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
                        I think I am in the HTML library. It is the column on the left that comes up when you click HTML at the bottom of the page. It is the only one with in Red at the top HTML Template, underneath ! New Web Page (the template) and underneath that in red is Document Elements. Is this correct?
                        Ed

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
                                It seems I goofed in resending this message, to make a long story short I did just what you are describing but the default remains the old email address. It will work ok for the first new page, but when I try to make the second new page the old address comes up Seems to me that I may have to go in and somehow edit the template wizard so it will know to bring up the new page.
                                Ed

                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
                                  Ed Brown wrote:

                                  > OK, I think I understand what I am doing wrong. Where do I go to get
                                  the wizard?
                                  > Ed

                                  click OK, and then go through the second wizard and click OK. At this

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
                                    Yep, that actually involves a couple of things when you click on it Ed. It
                                    is clip based and then pulls in a template. I suspect you may have somehow
                                    corrupted one or the other by accident. I would suggest that you get new
                                    copies of the library and the template. See if that doesn't fix the
                                    problem.

                                    --

                                    Don Passenger
                                  • Ed

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 28, 2003
                                        Ed wrote:

                                        > here do I get the new copies?

                                        Ed,

                                        I think the files, HTML.clb(the clipbook library) and HTML.tpl(the
                                        template file) are included in the install package of NoteTab Pro.

                                        The .clb files are in the NoteTab Libraries folder and the .tpl files
                                        are in the NoteTab Templates folder. You should be able to get new
                                        copies just by reinstalling NoteTab on top of the current installation.

                                        I do think I would delete the 2 files before reinstalling though. I
                                        don't know if reinstalling would bypass existing files or not. In the
                                        past it would overwrite certain libraries and other files and it still
                                        might.

                                        A reinstall shouldn't change anything in your NoteTab setup.

                                        hrs
                                      • John Zeman
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 29, 2003
                                          Hi Ed and all,

                                          I got lost awhile back here as to what everyone is trying to figure
                                          out in this discussion. However, I can tell you're talking about HTML
                                          templates in NoteTab.

                                          Why not create a custom new template to serve your needs specifically
                                          Ed? FWIW below is the one I use for myself. (Note: things like the
                                          doctype, permanent keywords, and description are added later).

                                          John

                                          = DocTemplate ClipCode "NoName%0.2d.html"
                                          <head>
                                          <title>^?[Enter Web Page Title]</title>

                                          </head>

                                          <a name="top"></a>

                                          ; PUT CURSOR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BODY SECTION DOCUMENT
                                          ^!Jump DOC_START
                                          ^!Find <body>
                                          ^!Jump +2