Re: [NTB] Making NoteTab "bind" to an instance/window of IE

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2000
      Moving this discussion from the basic NoteTab list.

      gkluther <gkluther@...>:

      >Actually, MMujtaba there is a much COOLER solution to your problem.
      >Its called Opera. Opera does windows so much better than IE or NS
      >that I only go back to them when a site has tailored itself to one of
      >them and I really want to see the site. If you haven't tried Opera
      >you owe it to yourself to give it a test drive. The 4.0 beta 2 is
      >currently available and it is one clean beta at this point. Remember
      >its a beta. If you want you can also try the 3.62 Final which is an
      >awesome browser. Well, you can see I am an Opera fan. (quite cooling
      >don't you think).

      Opera does many things right, and is a great browser. It allows
      multiple browser windows within a single instance, but the user
      interface for controlling the windows is archaic. Last I checked,
      Opera still lacked a tabbed interface, which to me is a major
      shortcoming. Also, Opera's trial version expires after 30 days.
      Opera's best features are its small size and blazing speed.
      Also, Opera is strives to be a fully compliant with web standards
      as possible. But as some web sites are not compliant, those that
      attempt special tricks, may fail to work with Opera.

      My preferred web browser is still NetCaptor. It, like Opera,
      allows multiple browser windows to be opened within a single
      instance. But, NetCaptor has a tabbed interface which I find very
      valuable. I much prefer a tabbed interface over having a bunch of
      small windows to constantly manage. NetCaptor has two versions: an
      unrestricted Trial version, and a Pro version. The only difference
      between the two is that the Trial version has a small window with
      advertisements.

      In the background NetCaptor uses components from Internet Explorer,
      so Internet Explorer needs to be installed on the system. In
      theory NetCaptor should be able to view any page that Internet Explorer
      can. In practice, I find a few sites that work in Explorer, but
      give javascript errors in NetCaptor. (This usually is caused by
      sites trying to do bad things with pop-up windows.)

      The creators of NetCaptor are working on a version that will
      use Netscape as its core. That will be an awesome combination, as
      Netscape 6.0 makes the same claims as Opera with regard to speed
      and strict standards compliance.

      NetCaptor can be downloaded from: http://www.netcaptor.com/

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2000
        Hi Wayne and Others,

        > My preferred web browser is still NetCaptor.

        I don't know how I ever did without it!

        > The creators of NetCaptor are working on a version that will
        > use Netscape as its core.

        Yes! Bye, bye IE!

        See ya in the funnies!
        Jody Adair

        Clean-Funnies
        mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe

        Proverbs 15:15
        you missed a good joke!
      • Mujtaba Ali
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2000
          Wayne,

          That's all fine and dandy, but does NetCaptor solve this "binding" problem?
          BTW: There are two types of "binds": one which binds a specific document to
          an instance/window, and another that binds NoteTab to an instance/window. I
          prefer the latter, but I just wanted to point this out.

          -- Mujtaba Ali

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2000
            Mujtaba Ali <mali@...> wrote:

            >That's all fine and dandy, but does NetCaptor solve this "binding" problem?
            >BTW: There are two types of "binds": one which binds a specific document to
            >an instance/window, and another that binds NoteTab to an instance/window. I
            >prefer the latter, but I just wanted to point this out.

            NetCaptor works with multiple web pages the same way NoteTab works with
            multiple documents. All the pages are open simultaneously in the same
            instance. A row of tabs let you quickly switch between pages, and the
            tabs are color coded to indicate which pages have finished loading. You
            don't have to worry that loading a new page will cause you to lose a
            page you were already viewing.

            --
            Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7, 2000
              Hi Wayne & Mujtaba

              > A row of tabs let you quickly switch between pages, and the
              > tabs are color coded to indicate which pages have finished
              > cause you to lose a page you were already viewing.

              Normally when I hit a page and there are a few places I want to
              hit, or not sure which I need to do I just hold the Shift key
              down and click on about a half dozen links, then answer some mail
              or work on a script for a few minutes, then I go back and it is
              all in tabs waiting for me. Sometimes I hang around and wait for
              the tabs to change color and hit them as they come up. I don't
              mind browsing at all with NetCaptor. I was getting to hate it
              because of slow unorganized sites.

              Wayne, how's 4.81 Cross Reference coming along? I added all the
              commands in mine just so they would be handy, but eagerly waiting
              the real thing. Thanks!

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab and Html List...
              mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
            • Kay Roath
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7, 2000
                4/6/2000 12:28 AM Wayne VanWeerthuizen wrote

                > Opera does many things right, and is a great browser. It allows
                > multiple browser windows within a single instance, but the user
                > interface for controlling the windows is archaic. Last I checked,
                > Opera still lacked a tabbed interface, which to me is a major
                > shortcoming. Also, Opera's trial version expires after 30 days.

                Actually, there is a free utility called WinTabs that gives you
                tabs in Opera & IE. If you want to use multiple windows in
                Opera from NoteTab, you need to manually change your ini
                NewBrowserWindow=1
                under Options - the default is
                NewBrowserWindow=0
                which means anything sent from NoteTab is displayed in the
                currently active Opera window.

                It's a great browser but it takes lots of betas to get to a
                stable version & I wouldn't recommend trying their 4.0 beta
                right now. 3.62 is good.

                --- Grandma Kay ---
              • Ian Ornstein
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 9, 2000
                  Based upon this discussion and apparent high regards for Net Captor,
                  I downloaded it and installed it.

                  Today, when I started IE5, I have what appears (to me) a virus on my
                  browser called Get NetSonic! There is a rocket ship icon on the
                  title bar, that is animated, pulling a clickable banner with all
                  sorts of adds;
                  the rocketship icon is also on the extreem right of the status bar
                  with the Get NetSonic! label.

                  Could this be caused by Net Captor?
                  If so it isn't worth it to me if I have to put up with this clutter.
                  I pay for connect time and don't want distractions from unsolicited
                  adds.

                  If this is not from Net Captor, can someone PLEASE tell me how to get
                  rid of it.

                  TIA

                  - IanO -
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 9, 2000
                    Hi Ian,

                    > Today, when I started IE5, I have what appears (to me) a virus
                    > on my browser called Get NetSonic! There is a rocket ship icon
                    > on the title bar, that is animated, pulling a clickable banner
                    > with all sorts of adds; the rocketship icon is also on the
                    > extreem right of the status bar with the Get NetSonic! label.
                    >
                    > Could this be caused by Net Captor?

                    Most likely, but you might have an option to not put that on IE.
                    I don't know because last time I checked the upgrade was still in
                    beta testing so I did not get it.

                    > If so it isn't worth it to me if I have to put up with this
                    > clutter. I pay for connect time and don't want distractions
                    > from unsolicited adds.

                    That is understood. I don't use the freeware which is ad supported,
                    so I don't see the ads.

                    > If this is not from Net Captor, can someone PLEASE tell me how
                    > to get rid of it.

                    Register if you like the product enough, if not, uninstall NetCaptor.