Re: [NH] Beginner Needs Help

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
      Hi John,

      I may be a day late and a buck short, but we have a group for the
      visually impaired and others that may have accessibility issues.
      It is not very active, but I think that is only due to nobody
      asks any questions. :-) You can sign up for it and give it a
      shot though by clicking on the mail to link below and send it
      empty. (Being from the old BBS days you are some sort of
      dinosaur you know. ;)

      mailto:fs-Accessibility-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      >I'm visually impaired, nearly blind. I recently registered Notetab Pro,
      >for the express purpose of publishing web sites. I selected Notetab
      >because I was told it is "speech friendly, as I use a voice synthesizer in
      >conjunction with screen-reading software.
      >So, how do I go about publishing a web site with Notetab?

      Happy html'n!

      www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
    • John Altmeyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
        Hello, Mr. Date Late,
        Dinosaur? Who you calling dinosaur? Well, never mind. Trust me, I've
        been called MUCH worse. <G>
        The BBS was something in its day, particularly Fidonet. Fidonet was the
        Internet, before the Internet, as we know it to day.
        Oops! I'm getting off topic, and could be sanctioned by the moderator. <G>
        I'm big on manners, so I'll assume Don is tuned in, as both of you touched
        on the same point.
        I did not know about the FS/accessibility group thingy. Thanks for the
        info. However, your "mailto" link isn't a link for me. I entered the
        address you provided manually, and am waiting for something, like an
        automated message, when I check my mail again.
        Anyway, I'll explain the link thing, as it has me curious. When I arrow or
        tab to a link, my speech says "link" and reads the text on the line.
        With your mailto, my screen reader didn't say "link". Is that because of
        the capital "A" in Accessibility"?
        In short, does case matter in HTML for the mailto, ETC?
        The first few messages I read here pertained to browser accessibility and
        such. I MUST publish my site by the week end. Long story, but I need
        funds yesterday.
        What is the best code, if any, to include for general all-around browser
        accessibility?
        As a traffic magnet, I'm offering a free dog-training Ecourse. I am
        currently writing the course, which will be about 12 files, for
        autoresponder purposes.
        Since I only have one file completed, any advice for rapidly changing all
        12 to HTML documents?
        Also, is it feasible to concatenate all 12 files into one, and use the
        Outline feature for online reading?
        Of course, the site isn't "available" yet, but I have registered
        lazy-pup.com For the name sake, where might I grab a good doggy pic for my
        main page?
        Due to necessity, I must make the Internet my primary source of
        income. Therefore, I plan to construct about 20 sites in two years. If I
        am "very" successful, I will build a site and direct deposit all revenue to
        a charity account.
        Yes, there is a point to the digression. <G> I train dogs, but I am also a
        gourmet cook, which is my next project. I want to build a recipe/cooking
        site, which will be much more complex than the lazy-pup.com project, as it
        will involve converting a database into web pages, ETC. My point is that
        I'll have many questions in the future.
        I'm definitely a nobody, and will make inquiries at the address you
        provided. I just hope it isn't "dead", from lack of traffic. If so, and
        for other reasons, "I'll be back!"
        Thanks to any and all who are willing to address my sometimes mundane
        questions.

      • Lewlinkous@cs.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
          In a message dated 10/7/2003 13:26:46 Central Daylight Time,
          j.altmeyer@... writes:
          > where might I grab a good doggy pic for my
          > main page?
          I have several pictures of my two dogs that I am willing to share.
          However, I will be away from my computer until next Wednesday.
          If you don't find a source sooner, look for them in your mailbox
          Thursday-a-week.
          Lew

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 8, 2003
            Hi John,

            >Dinosaur? Who you calling dinosaur?
            >The BBS was something in its day, particularly Fidonet.

            I remember Fidonet. :) Actually, I came in at the tail
            end of BBS days a few years before I found out what ISP
            meant. <g>

            >Oops! I'm getting off topic, and could be sanctioned by the moderator. <G>

            That be me. <bg>

            > I'm big on manners,

            Me 2, but don't mind a little when mixed in with the actual
            topic. Actually, I like for people to add a tiny bit. It breaks
            the monotony up and makes for a freindly discussion list.

            >I did not know about the FS/accessibility group thingy. Thanks for the
            >info. However, your "mailto" link isn't a link for me. I entered the
            >address you provided manually, and am waiting for something, like an
            >automated message, when I check my mail again.

            When you send in this format: LISTNAME-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            you should get a confirmation message. I then moderate (mostly
            done by Julie G. for me now-a-days which I am very grateful for) first
            time posters as SPAM prevention so it may take awhile for messages to
            get posted the first time or two.

            >Anyway, I'll explain the link thing, as it has me curious. When I arrow or
            >tab to a link, my speech says "link" and reads the text on the line.
            >With your mailto, my screen reader didn't say "link". Is that because of
            >the capital "A" in Accessibility"?

            You'd have to ask the folk on the "Accessibility" list about
            that. I know they have the screen reading software. It has been
            discussed; the software that is. The "mailto:" is actually an
            HTML command / tag or should I say used in HTML and eMail. Not
            all eMail programs recognize it I imagine. Anyway, when the
            "mailto:" is followed with an eMail address (no spaces) it is hot
            (can be clicked on) and will open a new message to the eMail
            address specified. Here is another one for you to try:
            mailto:Merry-Heart@... Double click on that and
            see if it opens a new message. It works the same way as it does
            in a browser, the only difference is in a browser it opens the
            default mail program or if already open just opens the new
            message.

            >In short, does case matter in HTML for the mailto, ETC?

            Yes in some cases. I notice NoteTab must have the "mailto:" section in
            lowercase or at least it use to be like that when using it in a Clip.
            The eMail address itself is not case dependent/sensitive.

            >What is the best code, if any, to include for general all-around
            >browser accessibility?

            Most, or a lot of people are going with "xhtml" now because that
            supposedly will be the standard in the future. Personally, I
            would not hold my breath about it, but that is neither here nor
            there. I think lowercase is the safest bet for now. NoteTab can
            convert to xml and/or xhtml if you want to in the future. Look
            in Options under the HTML Files tab and at the bottom there are
            some boxes to check to make the code you use (when using
            NoteTab's Libraries and HTML features the format you want. FWIW, I
            have "Highlight HTML" tags (NoteTab Pro) and "Create Lowercase
            URLs" checked. Leaving "Create Uppercase Tags" unchecked makes it
            so the tags are in Lowercase.

            You want to use an HTML validator such as CSE Validator or use the
            free service online at: http://www.w3.org

            >As a traffic magnet, I'm offering a free dog-training Ecourse. I am
            >currently writing the course, which will be about 12 files, for
            >autoresponder purposes.
            >Since I only have one file completed, any advice for rapidly changing all
            >12 to HTML documents?

            Use NoteTab's Document to HTML | No Character Conversion under
            the Modify menu. (You can put it on the Toolbar or Shortcut menu
            both found in Options under those tab names.)

            >Also, is it feasible to concatenate all 12 files into one, and use the
            >Outline feature for online reading?

            You can make a NoteTab Outline; see Help under that topic or go
            to File | New Outline... in registered versions. Once you have
            the 12 topics in the Outline use the Document to HTML feature I
            mentioned above. It makes life real easy. ;)

            >I will build a site and direct deposit all revenue to a charity account.

            I'll send you my bank details in a private eMail or call me at 850-626-0993. haha

            Happy Fookes'n~

            www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
            http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448
          • John Altmeyer
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
              I have several pictures of my two dogs that I am willing
              t<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705375618:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>46bdca.jpg

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
                Hi John,

                We really need to go private eMail or to the Off Topic list list this.

                Have a great weekend everybody!

                ntb-offtopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:ntb-offtopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                > I remember Fidonet. :) Actually, I came in at the tail end of
                > BBS days a few years before I found out what ISP meant. <g>

                >You mean you know? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

                ISP = Internet Service Provider: earthlink.net, mindspring.com,
                att.com, and a host of others. I don't know what you would call
                AOL. LOL :-)

                >Okay, Mr. "know more than me", for $500, what is the origin of
                >the term "BYTE"?

                Actually, it came to be in 1956, a year + after I was born.
                Werner Buchholz, a brilliant geek, who invented Fidonet (named
                after his dog) also coined the term "byte." It actually came
                from "bite" extended from "bit." Now, so it is told, that Fido
                "bit" a man one day and when Werner got home he asked Fido, "Did
                you actually bite a man today?" Of course Fido claimed innocence.

                Anyway, that night Buchholz was geek'n away on inventing what is
                now known as the "byte" and wondering what to call it. So, once
                again, with Fido in mind, he named the 8 bit word (or 2 nibbles,
                or 4 crumbs if you wish), a "byte" offsetting it from "bite." To
                this very day we still do not know if Fido took a nibble or a
                bite out of the man, or even met the man at all.

                Now, for $25,000.00 is that true or false (remember the game show?) :)

                http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=byte&action=Search
                http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?nibble
                http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?crumb

                >Oops! I keep forgetting to ask. I purchased Notetab Pro a couple of weeks
                >ago. I'm planning to reformat my hard drive, once I get the web site
                >running. Is there a way for me to DL another registered Notetab Pro file?

                Yes, write me at: jody@... or support@... It is
                best to just burn a CD if you have the hardware. You can always
                buy a CD from me for $10.00. Here's the blah, blah, blah from
                NoteTab's PasteBack feature. (I can do PayPal or snail mail
                orders if it is just for the CD. Otherwise, see my affiliate
                links below.)

                The CD-ROMs for our products that have lots of extras on them
                including: very useful freeware and shareware, extra HTML help for
                beginners, an excellent Clip writing tutorial, and other short
                tutorials... You can get more than one registered program on the
                same CD at no extra charge, even if you already registered the
                products; see "cd-info.htm" and "onthiscd.htm" below for details
                and the contents of the CDs. (http://www.fookes.us)

                The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (http://www.notetab.net) is one of
                my personal web sites loaded with free useful Libraries and Clips.
                It is well worth the visit in my opinion!-)

                Ordering Information: Price, CD build type...
                http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
                Programs, Utilities, Helps, Clip Tutorial...
                http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm
                Third Party Products: Freeware and Shareware...
                http://www.notetab.net/html/tpp-readthis.htm
                Order Fookes Software through me (even on CD)...
                http://www.notetab.net/order, http://www.fookes.us

                Happy Topics,
                Jody

                The NoteTab Off-Topic List