Re: [NH] Beginner Needs Help

  • John Altmeyer
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
      At 03:18 PM 10/4/03 -0400, you wrote:
      >Hi John and welcome. There are several how to make web pages with notetab
      >sites. You might try one that Jody and I made a while back for starts:
      >
      ><http://www.bestfoot.com/notetab/html/>http://www.bestfoot.com/notetab/html/
      >
      >Thank you, Don! I just briefly visited the site, and I got REAL
      >happy! It appears to be just what I need to get started. I'll check it
      >out more thoroughly before football, tomorrow. <G>

      >If you ever need help try finding me in
      ><http://htmlfixit.com>http://htmlfixit.com in the live
      >chat. I am often there and happy to try helping you.
      >--
      >
      >Don Passenger

      I may give that a try, once I have studied the other site you
      recommended. However, plese make note of my name, as live chat may be
      problematic with my speech system. I simply don't know, as I have never
      attempted live chat via Windows and the Internet. When I was a SYSOP, I
      chated with my callers on the BBS without difficulty, but I help to design
      the BBS software, and it was MS-DOS based. Nevertheless, I look forward to
      trying the live chat thing with you.
      Should there be a problem, I'll probably just leave the site. I'm not
      rude, so just understand a problem occured. Now, if the chat is not
      problematic, that will give me a golden opportunity to ask really stupid
      questions live! <G>

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
        Hi John,

        I may be a day late and a buck short, but we have a group for the
        visually impaired and others that may have accessibility issues.
        It is not very active, but I think that is only due to nobody
        asks any questions. :-) You can sign up for it and give it a
        shot though by clicking on the mail to link below and send it
        empty. (Being from the old BBS days you are some sort of
        dinosaur you know. ;)

        mailto:fs-Accessibility-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        >I'm visually impaired, nearly blind. I recently registered Notetab Pro,
        >for the express purpose of publishing web sites. I selected Notetab
        >because I was told it is "speech friendly, as I use a voice synthesizer in
        >conjunction with screen-reading software.
        >So, how do I go about publishing a web site with Notetab?

        Happy html'n!

        www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
      • John Altmeyer
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
          Hello, Mr. Date Late,
          Dinosaur? Who you calling dinosaur? Well, never mind. Trust me, I've
          been called MUCH worse. <G>
          The BBS was something in its day, particularly Fidonet. Fidonet was the
          Internet, before the Internet, as we know it to day.
          Oops! I'm getting off topic, and could be sanctioned by the moderator. <G>
          I'm big on manners, so I'll assume Don is tuned in, as both of you touched
          on the same point.
          I did not know about the FS/accessibility group thingy. Thanks for the
          info. However, your "mailto" link isn't a link for me. I entered the
          address you provided manually, and am waiting for something, like an
          automated message, when I check my mail again.
          Anyway, I'll explain the link thing, as it has me curious. When I arrow or
          tab to a link, my speech says "link" and reads the text on the line.
          With your mailto, my screen reader didn't say "link". Is that because of
          the capital "A" in Accessibility"?
          In short, does case matter in HTML for the mailto, ETC?
          The first few messages I read here pertained to browser accessibility and
          such. I MUST publish my site by the week end. Long story, but I need
          funds yesterday.
          What is the best code, if any, to include for general all-around browser
          accessibility?
          As a traffic magnet, I'm offering a free dog-training Ecourse. I am
          currently writing the course, which will be about 12 files, for
          autoresponder purposes.
          Since I only have one file completed, any advice for rapidly changing all
          12 to HTML documents?
          Also, is it feasible to concatenate all 12 files into one, and use the
          Outline feature for online reading?
          Of course, the site isn't "available" yet, but I have registered
          lazy-pup.com For the name sake, where might I grab a good doggy pic for my
          main page?
          Due to necessity, I must make the Internet my primary source of
          income. Therefore, I plan to construct about 20 sites in two years. If I
          am "very" successful, I will build a site and direct deposit all revenue to
          a charity account.
          Yes, there is a point to the digression. <G> I train dogs, but I am also a
          gourmet cook, which is my next project. I want to build a recipe/cooking
          site, which will be much more complex than the lazy-pup.com project, as it
          will involve converting a database into web pages, ETC. My point is that
          I'll have many questions in the future.
          I'm definitely a nobody, and will make inquiries at the address you
          provided. I just hope it isn't "dead", from lack of traffic. If so, and
          for other reasons, "I'll be back!"
          Thanks to any and all who are willing to address my sometimes mundane
          questions.

        • Lewlinkous@cs.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
            In a message dated 10/7/2003 13:26:46 Central Daylight Time,
            j.altmeyer@... writes:
            > where might I grab a good doggy pic for my
            > main page?
            I have several pictures of my two dogs that I am willing to share.
            However, I will be away from my computer until next Wednesday.
            If you don't find a source sooner, look for them in your mailbox
            Thursday-a-week.
            Lew

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2003
              Hi John,

              >Dinosaur? Who you calling dinosaur?
              >The BBS was something in its day, particularly Fidonet.

              I remember Fidonet. :) Actually, I came in at the tail
              end of BBS days a few years before I found out what ISP
              meant. <g>

              >Oops! I'm getting off topic, and could be sanctioned by the moderator. <G>

              That be me. <bg>

              > I'm big on manners,

              Me 2, but don't mind a little when mixed in with the actual
              topic. Actually, I like for people to add a tiny bit. It breaks
              the monotony up and makes for a freindly discussion list.

              >I did not know about the FS/accessibility group thingy. Thanks for the
              >info. However, your "mailto" link isn't a link for me. I entered the
              >address you provided manually, and am waiting for something, like an
              >automated message, when I check my mail again.

              When you send in this format: LISTNAME-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              you should get a confirmation message. I then moderate (mostly
              done by Julie G. for me now-a-days which I am very grateful for) first
              time posters as SPAM prevention so it may take awhile for messages to
              get posted the first time or two.

              >Anyway, I'll explain the link thing, as it has me curious. When I arrow or
              >tab to a link, my speech says "link" and reads the text on the line.
              >With your mailto, my screen reader didn't say "link". Is that because of
              >the capital "A" in Accessibility"?

              You'd have to ask the folk on the "Accessibility" list about
              that. I know they have the screen reading software. It has been
              discussed; the software that is. The "mailto:" is actually an
              HTML command / tag or should I say used in HTML and eMail. Not
              all eMail programs recognize it I imagine. Anyway, when the
              "mailto:" is followed with an eMail address (no spaces) it is hot
              (can be clicked on) and will open a new message to the eMail
              address specified. Here is another one for you to try:
              mailto:Merry-Heart@... Double click on that and
              see if it opens a new message. It works the same way as it does
              in a browser, the only difference is in a browser it opens the
              default mail program or if already open just opens the new
              message.

              >In short, does case matter in HTML for the mailto, ETC?

              Yes in some cases. I notice NoteTab must have the "mailto:" section in
              lowercase or at least it use to be like that when using it in a Clip.
              The eMail address itself is not case dependent/sensitive.

              >What is the best code, if any, to include for general all-around
              >browser accessibility?

              Most, or a lot of people are going with "xhtml" now because that
              supposedly will be the standard in the future. Personally, I
              would not hold my breath about it, but that is neither here nor
              there. I think lowercase is the safest bet for now. NoteTab can
              convert to xml and/or xhtml if you want to in the future. Look
              in Options under the HTML Files tab and at the bottom there are
              some boxes to check to make the code you use (when using
              NoteTab's Libraries and HTML features the format you want. FWIW, I
              have "Highlight HTML" tags (NoteTab Pro) and "Create Lowercase
              URLs" checked. Leaving "Create Uppercase Tags" unchecked makes it
              so the tags are in Lowercase.

              You want to use an HTML validator such as CSE Validator or use the
              free service online at: http://www.w3.org

              >As a traffic magnet, I'm offering a free dog-training Ecourse. I am
              >currently writing the course, which will be about 12 files, for
              >autoresponder purposes.
              >Since I only have one file completed, any advice for rapidly changing all
              >12 to HTML documents?

              Use NoteTab's Document to HTML | No Character Conversion under
              the Modify menu. (You can put it on the Toolbar or Shortcut menu
              both found in Options under those tab names.)

              >Also, is it feasible to concatenate all 12 files into one, and use the
              >Outline feature for online reading?

              You can make a NoteTab Outline; see Help under that topic or go
              to File | New Outline... in registered versions. Once you have
              the 12 topics in the Outline use the Document to HTML feature I
              mentioned above. It makes life real easy. ;)

              >I will build a site and direct deposit all revenue to a charity account.

              I'll send you my bank details in a private eMail or call me at 850-626-0993. haha

              Happy Fookes'n~

              www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
              http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448
            • John Altmeyer
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
                I have several pictures of my two dogs that I am willing
                t<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705375618:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>46bdca.jpg

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
                  Hi John,

                  We really need to go private eMail or to the Off Topic list list this.

                  Have a great weekend everybody!

                  ntb-offtopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:ntb-offtopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  > I remember Fidonet. :) Actually, I came in at the tail end of
                  > BBS days a few years before I found out what ISP meant. <g>

                  >You mean you know? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

                  ISP = Internet Service Provider: earthlink.net, mindspring.com,
                  att.com, and a host of others. I don't know what you would call
                  AOL. LOL :-)

                  >Okay, Mr. "know more than me", for $500, what is the origin of
                  >the term "BYTE"?

                  Actually, it came to be in 1956, a year + after I was born.
                  Werner Buchholz, a brilliant geek, who invented Fidonet (named
                  after his dog) also coined the term "byte." It actually came
                  from "bite" extended from "bit." Now, so it is told, that Fido
                  "bit" a man one day and when Werner got home he asked Fido, "Did
                  you actually bite a man today?" Of course Fido claimed innocence.

                  Anyway, that night Buchholz was geek'n away on inventing what is
                  now known as the "byte" and wondering what to call it. So, once
                  again, with Fido in mind, he named the 8 bit word (or 2 nibbles,
                  or 4 crumbs if you wish), a "byte" offsetting it from "bite." To
                  this very day we still do not know if Fido took a nibble or a
                  bite out of the man, or even met the man at all.

                  Now, for $25,000.00 is that true or false (remember the game show?) :)

                  http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=byte&action=Search
                  http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?nibble
                  http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?crumb

                  >Oops! I keep forgetting to ask. I purchased Notetab Pro a couple of weeks
                  >ago. I'm planning to reformat my hard drive, once I get the web site
                  >running. Is there a way for me to DL another registered Notetab Pro file?

                  Yes, write me at: jody@... or support@... It is
                  best to just burn a CD if you have the hardware. You can always
                  buy a CD from me for $10.00. Here's the blah, blah, blah from
                  NoteTab's PasteBack feature. (I can do PayPal or snail mail
                  orders if it is just for the CD. Otherwise, see my affiliate
                  links below.)

                  The CD-ROMs for our products that have lots of extras on them
                  including: very useful freeware and shareware, extra HTML help for
                  beginners, an excellent Clip writing tutorial, and other short
                  tutorials... You can get more than one registered program on the
                  same CD at no extra charge, even if you already registered the
                  products; see "cd-info.htm" and "onthiscd.htm" below for details
                  and the contents of the CDs. (http://www.fookes.us)

                  The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (http://www.notetab.net) is one of
                  my personal web sites loaded with free useful Libraries and Clips.
                  It is well worth the visit in my opinion!-)

                  Ordering Information: Price, CD build type...
                  http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
                  Programs, Utilities, Helps, Clip Tutorial...
                  http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm
                  Third Party Products: Freeware and Shareware...
                  http://www.notetab.net/html/tpp-readthis.htm
                  Order Fookes Software through me (even on CD)...
                  http://www.notetab.net/order, http://www.fookes.us

                  Happy Topics,
                  Jody

                  The NoteTab Off-Topic List