Re: [NH] Beginner Needs Help

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
      Hi John and welcome. There are several how to make web pages with notetab
      sites. You might try one that Jody and I made a while back for starts:

      http://www.bestfoot.com/notetab/html/

      If you ever need help try finding me in http://htmlfixit.com in the live
      chat. I am often there and happy to try helping you.
      --

      Don Passenger
    • John Altmeyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
        At 03:18 PM 10/4/03 -0400, you wrote:
        >Hi John and welcome. There are several how to make web pages with notetab
        >sites. You might try one that Jody and I made a while back for starts:
        >
        ><http://www.bestfoot.com/notetab/html/>http://www.bestfoot.com/notetab/html/
        >
        >Thank you, Don! I just briefly visited the site, and I got REAL
        >happy! It appears to be just what I need to get started. I'll check it
        >out more thoroughly before football, tomorrow. <G>

        >If you ever need help try finding me in
        ><http://htmlfixit.com>http://htmlfixit.com in the live
        >chat. I am often there and happy to try helping you.
        >--
        >
        >Don Passenger

        I may give that a try, once I have studied the other site you
        recommended. However, plese make note of my name, as live chat may be
        problematic with my speech system. I simply don't know, as I have never
        attempted live chat via Windows and the Internet. When I was a SYSOP, I
        chated with my callers on the BBS without difficulty, but I help to design
        the BBS software, and it was MS-DOS based. Nevertheless, I look forward to
        trying the live chat thing with you.
        Should there be a problem, I'll probably just leave the site. I'm not
        rude, so just understand a problem occured. Now, if the chat is not
        problematic, that will give me a golden opportunity to ask really stupid
        questions live! <G>

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
          Hi John,

          I may be a day late and a buck short, but we have a group for the
          visually impaired and others that may have accessibility issues.
          It is not very active, but I think that is only due to nobody
          asks any questions. :-) You can sign up for it and give it a
          shot though by clicking on the mail to link below and send it
          empty. (Being from the old BBS days you are some sort of
          dinosaur you know. ;)

          mailto:fs-Accessibility-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          >I'm visually impaired, nearly blind. I recently registered Notetab Pro,
          >for the express purpose of publishing web sites. I selected Notetab
          >because I was told it is "speech friendly, as I use a voice synthesizer in
          >conjunction with screen-reading software.
          >So, how do I go about publishing a web site with Notetab?

          Happy html'n!

          www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
        • John Altmeyer
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
            Hello, Mr. Date Late,
            Dinosaur? Who you calling dinosaur? Well, never mind. Trust me, I've
            been called MUCH worse. <G>
            The BBS was something in its day, particularly Fidonet. Fidonet was the
            Internet, before the Internet, as we know it to day.
            Oops! I'm getting off topic, and could be sanctioned by the moderator. <G>
            I'm big on manners, so I'll assume Don is tuned in, as both of you touched
            on the same point.
            I did not know about the FS/accessibility group thingy. Thanks for the
            info. However, your "mailto" link isn't a link for me. I entered the
            address you provided manually, and am waiting for something, like an
            automated message, when I check my mail again.
            Anyway, I'll explain the link thing, as it has me curious. When I arrow or
            tab to a link, my speech says "link" and reads the text on the line.
            With your mailto, my screen reader didn't say "link". Is that because of
            the capital "A" in Accessibility"?
            In short, does case matter in HTML for the mailto, ETC?
            The first few messages I read here pertained to browser accessibility and
            such. I MUST publish my site by the week end. Long story, but I need
            funds yesterday.
            What is the best code, if any, to include for general all-around browser
            accessibility?
            As a traffic magnet, I'm offering a free dog-training Ecourse. I am
            currently writing the course, which will be about 12 files, for
            autoresponder purposes.
            Since I only have one file completed, any advice for rapidly changing all
            12 to HTML documents?
            Also, is it feasible to concatenate all 12 files into one, and use the
            Outline feature for online reading?
            Of course, the site isn't "available" yet, but I have registered
            lazy-pup.com For the name sake, where might I grab a good doggy pic for my
            main page?
            Due to necessity, I must make the Internet my primary source of
            income. Therefore, I plan to construct about 20 sites in two years. If I
            am "very" successful, I will build a site and direct deposit all revenue to
            a charity account.
            Yes, there is a point to the digression. <G> I train dogs, but I am also a
            gourmet cook, which is my next project. I want to build a recipe/cooking
            site, which will be much more complex than the lazy-pup.com project, as it
            will involve converting a database into web pages, ETC. My point is that
            I'll have many questions in the future.
            I'm definitely a nobody, and will make inquiries at the address you
            provided. I just hope it isn't "dead", from lack of traffic. If so, and
            for other reasons, "I'll be back!"
            Thanks to any and all who are willing to address my sometimes mundane
            questions.

          • Lewlinkous@cs.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
              In a message dated 10/7/2003 13:26:46 Central Daylight Time,
              j.altmeyer@... writes:
              > where might I grab a good doggy pic for my
              > main page?
              I have several pictures of my two dogs that I am willing to share.
              However, I will be away from my computer until next Wednesday.
              If you don't find a source sooner, look for them in your mailbox
              Thursday-a-week.
              Lew

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 8, 2003
                Hi John,

                >Dinosaur? Who you calling dinosaur?
                >The BBS was something in its day, particularly Fidonet.

                I remember Fidonet. :) Actually, I came in at the tail
                end of BBS days a few years before I found out what ISP
                meant. <g>

                >Oops! I'm getting off topic, and could be sanctioned by the moderator. <G>

                That be me. <bg>

                > I'm big on manners,

                Me 2, but don't mind a little when mixed in with the actual
                topic. Actually, I like for people to add a tiny bit. It breaks
                the monotony up and makes for a freindly discussion list.

                >I did not know about the FS/accessibility group thingy. Thanks for the
                >info. However, your "mailto" link isn't a link for me. I entered the
                >address you provided manually, and am waiting for something, like an
                >automated message, when I check my mail again.

                When you send in this format: LISTNAME-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                you should get a confirmation message. I then moderate (mostly
                done by Julie G. for me now-a-days which I am very grateful for) first
                time posters as SPAM prevention so it may take awhile for messages to
                get posted the first time or two.

                >Anyway, I'll explain the link thing, as it has me curious. When I arrow or
                >tab to a link, my speech says "link" and reads the text on the line.
                >With your mailto, my screen reader didn't say "link". Is that because of
                >the capital "A" in Accessibility"?

                You'd have to ask the folk on the "Accessibility" list about
                that. I know they have the screen reading software. It has been
                discussed; the software that is. The "mailto:" is actually an
                HTML command / tag or should I say used in HTML and eMail. Not
                all eMail programs recognize it I imagine. Anyway, when the
                "mailto:" is followed with an eMail address (no spaces) it is hot
                (can be clicked on) and will open a new message to the eMail
                address specified. Here is another one for you to try:
                mailto:Merry-Heart@... Double click on that and
                see if it opens a new message. It works the same way as it does
                in a browser, the only difference is in a browser it opens the
                default mail program or if already open just opens the new
                message.

                >In short, does case matter in HTML for the mailto, ETC?

                Yes in some cases. I notice NoteTab must have the "mailto:" section in
                lowercase or at least it use to be like that when using it in a Clip.
                The eMail address itself is not case dependent/sensitive.

                >What is the best code, if any, to include for general all-around
                >browser accessibility?

                Most, or a lot of people are going with "xhtml" now because that
                supposedly will be the standard in the future. Personally, I
                would not hold my breath about it, but that is neither here nor
                there. I think lowercase is the safest bet for now. NoteTab can
                convert to xml and/or xhtml if you want to in the future. Look
                in Options under the HTML Files tab and at the bottom there are
                some boxes to check to make the code you use (when using
                NoteTab's Libraries and HTML features the format you want. FWIW, I
                have "Highlight HTML" tags (NoteTab Pro) and "Create Lowercase
                URLs" checked. Leaving "Create Uppercase Tags" unchecked makes it
                so the tags are in Lowercase.

                You want to use an HTML validator such as CSE Validator or use the
                free service online at: http://www.w3.org

                >As a traffic magnet, I'm offering a free dog-training Ecourse. I am
                >currently writing the course, which will be about 12 files, for
                >autoresponder purposes.
                >Since I only have one file completed, any advice for rapidly changing all
                >12 to HTML documents?

                Use NoteTab's Document to HTML | No Character Conversion under
                the Modify menu. (You can put it on the Toolbar or Shortcut menu
                both found in Options under those tab names.)

                >Also, is it feasible to concatenate all 12 files into one, and use the
                >Outline feature for online reading?

                You can make a NoteTab Outline; see Help under that topic or go
                to File | New Outline... in registered versions. Once you have
                the 12 topics in the Outline use the Document to HTML feature I
                mentioned above. It makes life real easy. ;)

                >I will build a site and direct deposit all revenue to a charity account.

                I'll send you my bank details in a private eMail or call me at 850-626-0993. haha

                Happy Fookes'n~

                www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448
              • John Altmeyer
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
                  I have several pictures of my two dogs that I am willing
                  t<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705375618:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>46bdca.jpg

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
                    Hi John,

                    We really need to go private eMail or to the Off Topic list list this.

                    Have a great weekend everybody!

                    ntb-offtopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:ntb-offtopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    > I remember Fidonet. :) Actually, I came in at the tail end of
                    > BBS days a few years before I found out what ISP meant. <g>

                    >You mean you know? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

                    ISP = Internet Service Provider: earthlink.net, mindspring.com,
                    att.com, and a host of others. I don't know what you would call
                    AOL. LOL :-)

                    >Okay, Mr. "know more than me", for $500, what is the origin of
                    >the term "BYTE"?

                    Actually, it came to be in 1956, a year + after I was born.
                    Werner Buchholz, a brilliant geek, who invented Fidonet (named
                    after his dog) also coined the term "byte." It actually came
                    from "bite" extended from "bit." Now, so it is told, that Fido
                    "bit" a man one day and when Werner got home he asked Fido, "Did
                    you actually bite a man today?" Of course Fido claimed innocence.

                    Anyway, that night Buchholz was geek'n away on inventing what is
                    now known as the "byte" and wondering what to call it. So, once
                    again, with Fido in mind, he named the 8 bit word (or 2 nibbles,
                    or 4 crumbs if you wish), a "byte" offsetting it from "bite." To
                    this very day we still do not know if Fido took a nibble or a
                    bite out of the man, or even met the man at all.

                    Now, for $25,000.00 is that true or false (remember the game show?) :)

                    http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=byte&action=Search
                    http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?nibble
                    http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?crumb

                    >Oops! I keep forgetting to ask. I purchased Notetab Pro a couple of weeks
                    >ago. I'm planning to reformat my hard drive, once I get the web site
                    >running. Is there a way for me to DL another registered Notetab Pro file?

                    Yes, write me at: jody@... or support@... It is
                    best to just burn a CD if you have the hardware. You can always
                    buy a CD from me for $10.00. Here's the blah, blah, blah from
                    NoteTab's PasteBack feature. (I can do PayPal or snail mail
                    orders if it is just for the CD. Otherwise, see my affiliate
                    links below.)

                    The CD-ROMs for our products that have lots of extras on them
                    including: very useful freeware and shareware, extra HTML help for
                    beginners, an excellent Clip writing tutorial, and other short
                    tutorials... You can get more than one registered program on the
                    same CD at no extra charge, even if you already registered the
                    products; see "cd-info.htm" and "onthiscd.htm" below for details
                    and the contents of the CDs. (http://www.fookes.us)

                    The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (http://www.notetab.net) is one of
                    my personal web sites loaded with free useful Libraries and Clips.
                    It is well worth the visit in my opinion!-)

                    Ordering Information: Price, CD build type...
                    http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
                    Programs, Utilities, Helps, Clip Tutorial...
                    http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm
                    Third Party Products: Freeware and Shareware...
                    http://www.notetab.net/html/tpp-readthis.htm
                    Order Fookes Software through me (even on CD)...
                    http://www.notetab.net/order, http://www.fookes.us

                    Happy Topics,
                    Jody

                    The NoteTab Off-Topic List