Re: [NH] RE: photo editor

  • Fay
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2003
      Start with Irfan View
      http://download.com.com/3000-2192-10021962.html
      If that's too simple, there are heaps more.
      I've listed some on this page
      http://fay.iniminimo.com/free_graphics.html
      but that's nothing like all that're available.
      Fay
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2003
        There are many good options. The program you mention isn't one of them in
        my opinion.

        Working with images is an art form in its own right. You first need to make
        and prepare your images. Just using an image as is, generally is less than
        ideal. When working on the web you want your image to be in .gif, .jpg, or
        png in most cases. MicroSoft products often work with .bmp images which
        should not be used on the web because they are not universally acceptable to
        browsers and the file size is usually large.

        Use a program of your choosing and resave your image being sure to put it in
        one of the formats I indicate. Most image programs allow you to compress
        your image using one of several methods. At the same time you should crop
        any excess parts etc.

        There are some good free programs, but it is worth it in my opinion to also
        buy a program. Good free programs that will help you:

        the gimp
        http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/
        ezthumbnails
        http://www.notetab.com
        irfanview
        http://www.irfanview.com

        I would also consider buying Paint Shop Pro (around $100)
        http://www.jasc.com/

        Once you get your image in final form, then you upload it with ftp software.
        Make sure it uploads in binary format to the server.

        Last, add an image link to your html. All image links should have height,
        width and alt tags included.

        --

        Don Passenger

        If you need an html fix visit
        http://www.htmlfixit.com

        to fix your problems
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2003
          I agree with Don. I use Abode PhotoShop for all of my high end work, but
          it's just that. High end, expensive, and not easy to learn.

          I recommend Paint Shop Pro to all of my colleagues and students. There are
          times when it even works better than Photoshop.

          Jay Brintnell
          Business Developer
          London Life - Field Technology
          (519) 435-4261

[...]

          http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/ <http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/>
          ezthumbnails
          http://www.notetab.com <http://www.notetab.com>
          irfanview
          http://www.irfanview.com <http://www.irfanview.com>

          I would also consider buying Paint Shop Pro (around $100)
          http://www.jasc.com/ <http://www.jasc.com/>

          Once you get your image in final form, then you upload it with ftp software.
          Make sure it uploads in binary format to the server.

          Last, add an image link to your html. All image links should have height,
          width and alt tags included.

          --

          Don Passenger

          If you need an html fix visit
          http://www.htmlfixit.com <http://www.htmlfixit.com>

          to fix your problems
          > I use notetab as my web page editor and I have had a continually
          unsettling
          > experience with image transfer.
          >
          > Is there a replacement program for Microsoft Photo Editor?

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3856299.5103760.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17053756
          18:HM/A=1754451/R=0/SIG=11tkldm5d/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178
          323&partid=3856299> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3856299.5103760.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1754451/rand=161502133>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2003
            There is a light version of PhotoShop by the way, PhotoShop Elements which
            is price point comparible to Paint Shop Pro. In my opinion, having used
            both, I would either get Paint Shop Pro (by the way you can get a steal on
            version 7 of that these days and it is very good -- now that they have gone
            to version 8) or spring for the big money one ... PhotoShop.

            One thing that Photoshop Elements does well is make panarama shots
            (combining multiple photos). For Paint Shop Pro you need another program to
            do that. Each has advantages, so compare.

            Also, for what it is worth, Consumer Reports Magazine rated image editors
            within the last year, however they seemed to favor ease of use over power.
            Still it is helpful info if you want to make a trip to the library.

            --

            Don Passenger
          • Christopher Wilson
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2003
              Don Passenger Wrote:
              >There are some good free programs, but it is worth it in my opinion to also
              >buy a program. Good free programs that will help you:

              >the gimp
              >http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/

              I would highly recommend looking into the GIMP as far as free image tools
              go! There is a slight learning curve, but there is with Photoshop and Paint
              Shop Pro as well. The GIMP is a very capable tool! ;0)
              -Chris

            • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 29, 2003
                Irfan View is fine but XNView does the cropping much better, because you can
                move the crop lines at leisure. I'm happy to take photoeditors put on magazine
                CDs when they become "old". At one time this Paint Shop Pro 5 was oh so
                fantastic and is yet now available for the price of a computer magazine. I'm
                sure it is better now in version whatever, but it has not got worse. But I still
                prefer the Micrographx Picture Publisher, and have not changed it for years.
                And it was free then.

                Adrian Worsfold

                http://www.pluralist.co.uk