Tidy Comment about Doctype

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2003
      Hi Group,

      How can I avoid the Tidy comment shown below? I guess I could just change the
      Doctype, but what I really want to know is whether I should alter my documents
      to conform with "Transitional//EN". What is the benefit of "Transitional//EN"
      versus "Transitional"? All my pages are in English (U.S. version).

      I visited the W3C site, but didn't see a good answer to my question.

      Thank you,

      Ray Shapp

      ******Tidy for Windows (vers 1st August 2002***********

      stdin: Doctype given is "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
      stdin: Document content looks like HTML 4.01 Transitional
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22, 2003
        Ray if you change the tidy.cfg file so the doctype option is set to
        omit, you shouldn't see that message.

        doctype: omit

        FWIW the following link will take you to a page that does a pretty
        good job of explaining doctypes..

        http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/render-mode.html

        John