Re: [NH] local file processing with browser

  • Stefan Elssner
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
      Alec,

      >A further question - once I get beyond the excitement of accessing my own
      >pages from my own disk, will I be able to publish URL's to my own site =
      >>>your webserver's 'Document Root'directory<< that will allow others to
      >access it (at least temporarily) - my URL (URI(?)) - the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
      >number stays constant for long periods of time (I think because) I'm on 24-7
      >thru Linksys router to my ISP.
      >
      >From them I get 5 MB for free - but it sounds like this would allow me to
      >have as much of my harddrive available through the Web as I want.
      >[Yes]/[No]?

      Generally, yes.

      Let's say your 'Document Root' is set to be c:\apache\htdocs\ (this
      again is a configuration done in httpd.conf) and you have a
      subdirectory 'test' there with a file 'hello.html' in it -- then
      anybody could access this by http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/test/hello.html as
      long as your local webserver is running and allows this (i.e. is more
      loosely configured regarding access from other than localhost than in
      the example in my second mail).

      BTW, the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx number is called the IP-number (or IP for
      short) of the machine (IP stands for Internet Protocol), while the
      complete address string pointing to the file in question is called
      the URL (Uniform Ressource Locator). (You can think URI as something
      like a synonym for URL, at least for any of us but the real experts, I
      would say... )

      However, _be_warned_ again that running a worldwide accessible
      webserver on your own machine is a potential security risk, as is
      running any widely accessible server program or share. So you may want
      to study some regarding documentation and have a look at security
      alerts and patch announces on apache.org from time to time. At least
      Apache for Win98 (as I use for local developing and testing) is
      explicitly suggested NOT to be run in production environments / public
      web services.

      >Then the next step becomes to pay some DNS service for the rights to
      >www.alecburgess.com and away I go.[Yes]/[No]?

      Again, generally Yes.

      You will need to use some kind of dynamic DNS service though to cope
      with periodic changes of your IP. How exactly this works is beyond my
      experience, but you could have a look at www.dyndns.org as a starting
      point.

      Regards
      Stefan