Re: [NH] Smart quotes + Characters to HTML

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2003
      Hi cody,

      >There's quite a major bug in the way that certain typesetting
      >characters-- specifically, the em and en dash and smart quotes-- are
      >handled by the Modify->Characters to HTML command. They're all
      >replaced with entities, but three of the entities is deprecated and
      >two are just plain wrong.

      Thanks for your feedback. Referring to this as a "major bug" is a slight
      exaggeration in my opinion <g>.

      The "Characters to HTML command" command has been around for quite a while.
      At the time of its development, the entities you mentioned were not
      deprecated. I haven't made changes to the code because I believe there are
      more browsers that will fail to correctly render the compliant entities
      than the deprecated ones. I'm planning to make the entity conversion user
      customizable in NoteTab 5, so this won't really be an issue anymore.

      I've taken note of the two wrong entities and will correct them in the next
      update...

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes
      Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager