Re: [NH] Smart quotes + Characters to HTML = BAD!

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2003
      >Erm. Three of the entities *are* deprecated, not is. I really ought to
      >proofread my posts after I've made changes to them... :-/

      Bah, I do that all the time. :-)

      Yeah, they are all illegal but I'm wondering, how did you get the curlies
      and em and en dashes into Notatab in the first place? At first I didn't
      understand what you were talking about because NTB has never converted any
      quotes for me but then I got clever and used the character map to insert
      curlies and now NTB did what you say.

      If this or similar is how you do it I guess it's disputable if NTB does it
      right or wrong. After all, that is the characters it's given. Or am I wrong
      in thinking all curlies aren't the same curlies?

      Talking about the character conversion feature, wasn't there a fix that
      stopped NTB from converting spaces to &nbs;? Something in the ini? Can
      someone refresh my memory?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2003
        Hi Lotta,

        >Talking about the character conversion feature, wasn't there a fix that
        >stopped NTB from converting spaces to &nbs;? Something in the ini? Can
        >someone refresh my memory?

        I'm pretty sure you are right. It was one of those "silent"
        fixes like "I'll fix it in the next release" (betas at the time).

        For now you can just run a Clip for as many as you need such as:

        ^!Replace "�" >> "“" WAS
        ^!Replace "�" >> "”" WAS

        or just type it as you go: Alt+0147 and Alt+0148

        I notice NoteTab does OK on the 147, but renders a single curly closing for 148.
        I don't use them so the above it just a how to, not a this is
        correct thing. So don't get all geek'd out on me. :)

        This was not it, I do not think. I'll try to get Eric to step in
        here and let us know where we stand.

        ---- Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:07:18 +0200 ----
        Subject: RE: [NRN] NTP 4.9: Characters to HTML !?

        Ruben you wrote:
        > Eric added this as new feature.
        > Often spaces are used to align text, converting them to  's
        > keeps that the way the originator intended. If you not translate
        > them all spaces will be compressed to one by the browser.

        Uhu...I'm with Knut. This is not good. In fact it will be a PITA. Both
        "Extended characters" and "All special characters" work this way too it seems.

        Lotta

        Happy Tab'n!

        www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2003
          Hi cody,

          >There's quite a major bug in the way that certain typesetting
          >characters-- specifically, the em and en dash and smart quotes-- are
          >handled by the Modify->Characters to HTML command. They're all
          >replaced with entities, but three of the entities is deprecated and
          >two are just plain wrong.

          Thanks for your feedback. Referring to this as a "major bug" is a slight
          exaggeration in my opinion <g>.

          The "Characters to HTML command" command has been around for quite a while.
          At the time of its development, the entities you mentioned were not
          deprecated. I haven't made changes to the code because I believe there are
          more browsers that will fail to correctly render the compliant entities
          than the deprecated ones. I'm planning to make the entity conversion user
          customizable in NoteTab 5, so this won't really be an issue anymore.

          I've taken note of the two wrong entities and will correct them in the next
          update...

          Regards,
          Eric G.V. Fookes
          Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager