RE: [NH] Multiple Browser CSS

  • Jeffrey Morrison
    Message 1 of 18 , May 22, 2003
      > I have sure learned a lot, all because I read one online article that
      helped it
      > all make sense.

      What was the one article? Gotts link?

      Jeff
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 18 , May 22, 2003
        In that case Larry,

        See: http://www.domesticat.net/skins/
        http://www.domesticat.net/skins/howto.php
        Seems to be the mother page of many skinning projects.

        Javascript is widely supported these days, but nothing beats a server side
        language.

        --

        Don Passenger

        If you need an html fix visit
        http://www.htmlfixit.com

        to fix your problems
        Message 3 of 18 , May 22, 2003
          Don,

          Thanks! I'll take a look.

          Larry

          Message 4 of 18 , May 22, 2003
            Quoting Jeffrey Morrison <moros@...>:

            > > I have sure learned a lot, all because I read one online article that
            > helped it
            > > all make sense.
            >
            > What was the one article? Gotts link?

            Sorry, I forgot to bookmark it.

            It is on builder.com, a sister site to techrepublic.

            http://builder.com.com/article.jhtml?id=u00220030414shm01.htm

            Larry
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 18 , May 22, 2003
              Lotta,

              loro wrote:
              > Maybe I don't understand what you want to do. Didn't you want a little
              > distance between the body text and the right border of the nav?
              > 'margin-right' in the '.leftnav' rule gives you this. It's easier to
              > show - here is what I *think* you mean. :-)

              Your example is exactly what I meant.

              After having more time to review the page you did, I see my error, I was
              mixing wrong items in the wee hours. Your version looks fine in Opera 3.62,
              Opera 6, Mozilla 1.3, and IE 6.

              I messed up my working stylesheet, so I have some clean up to do. I did
              something that flaked out both versions of Opera that I have. I will have to
              re-build my working stylesheet from backup and stop when I figure out what
              broke it.

              > If you don't want the text in the nav div to fit so snuggly against
              > the borders use padding-left and/or padding-right in the '.leftnav'
              > rule.

              That's good to know too.

              THANKS!!

              Larry
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 18 , May 22, 2003
                Hugo,

                hugo_paulissen wrote:
                > Would this work?
                >
                > div.body {
                > position: absolute;
                > left: 220px;
                > margin-top: 50px;
                > height:450px;
                > background-color:#FFFFFF;
                > border-right:1px solid #000000;}
                >
                > In the original css the body-div "disappears" underneath the left.nav

                Thanks! That really makes it clear. This makes the other browsers behave the
                way that IE behave by default, and it makes IE work like the others.

                I will have to remember this absolute value. I think it may help with some
                other oddities.

                One more tool in the belt!

                THANKS!

                Larry
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 18 , May 22, 2003
                  Alice,

                  alice ttlg - koyaanisqatsi wrote:
                  > In your body class, specify padding, that puts whitespace inside the
                  > boxes.
                  >
                  > padding: 5px;
                  >
                  > will put 5px all the way around inside the box. Or specify only
                  > padding on the left inside of the box:
                  >
                  > padding-left: 5px;
                  >
                  > Mozilla, Opera and Netscape 7 follow web standards in regard to
                  > padding (white space inside the box) and margin (white space outside
                  > the box) but IE does not, it does strange things, so you just kind of
                  > have to play with it till you get something that looks decent in both
                  > IE and Mozilla.

                  Thanks for this tip! Your explanation of padding and margin really clarify
                  things.

                  THANKS!

                  Larry