RE: [NH] Multiple Browser CSS

  • Jeffrey Morrison
    Message 1 of 18 , May 22, 2003
      > I have sure learned a lot, all because I read one online article that
      helped it
      > all make sense.

      What was the one article? Gotts link?

      Jeff
    • lmh@hamiltongensociety.org
      Message 2 of 18 , May 22, 2003
        Hugo,

        Quoting hugo_paulissen <H.Paulissen@...>:

        > Larry, Loro,
        >
        > Would this work?
        >
        > div.body {
        > position: absolute;
        > left: 220px;
        > margin-top: 50px;
        > height:450px;
        > background-color:#FFFFFF;
        > border-right:1px solid #000000;}
        >
        > In the original css the body-div "disappears" underneath the left.nav
        > div. So it actually starts at the lefthand side of the screen -
        > that's why your left-paddings and margins didn't work, I guess. If
        > you define an absolute position, you can set the left-margin of that
        > element. (And it should start after 200px - since the leftnav is that
        > wide...)
        >
        > Works in Mozilla 1.4a

        This must be the box bug in IE that Grant mentioned. IE handles the .body style
        as it is displayed, rather than as a "layer". What works in Mozilla makes a
        whitespace area the size of the sidebar. This would be an interesting effect
        for simulating a newspaper, or other column text.

        I did not even catch on that there were "layers" here. Thanks for pointing it
        out!

        I love this list!

        Larry
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 18 , May 22, 2003
          In that case Larry,

          See: http://www.domesticat.net/skins/
          http://www.domesticat.net/skins/howto.php
          Seems to be the mother page of many skinning projects.

          Javascript is widely supported these days, but nothing beats a server side
          language.

          --

          Don Passenger

          If you need an html fix visit
          http://www.htmlfixit.com

          to fix your problems
          Message 4 of 18 , May 22, 2003
            Don,

            Thanks! I'll take a look.

            Larry

            Message 5 of 18 , May 22, 2003
              Quoting Jeffrey Morrison <moros@...>:

              > > I have sure learned a lot, all because I read one online article that
              > helped it
              > > all make sense.
              >
              > What was the one article? Gotts link?

              Sorry, I forgot to bookmark it.

              It is on builder.com, a sister site to techrepublic.

              http://builder.com.com/article.jhtml?id=u00220030414shm01.htm

              Larry
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 18 , May 22, 2003
                Lotta,

                loro wrote:
                > Maybe I don't understand what you want to do. Didn't you want a little
                > distance between the body text and the right border of the nav?
                > 'margin-right' in the '.leftnav' rule gives you this. It's easier to
                > show - here is what I *think* you mean. :-)

                Your example is exactly what I meant.

                After having more time to review the page you did, I see my error, I was
                mixing wrong items in the wee hours. Your version looks fine in Opera 3.62,
                Opera 6, Mozilla 1.3, and IE 6.

                I messed up my working stylesheet, so I have some clean up to do. I did
                something that flaked out both versions of Opera that I have. I will have to
                re-build my working stylesheet from backup and stop when I figure out what
                broke it.

                > If you don't want the text in the nav div to fit so snuggly against
                > the borders use padding-left and/or padding-right in the '.leftnav'
                > rule.

                That's good to know too.

                THANKS!!

                Larry
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 18 , May 22, 2003
                  Hugo,

                  hugo_paulissen wrote:
                  > Would this work?
                  >
                  > div.body {
                  > position: absolute;
                  > left: 220px;
                  > margin-top: 50px;
                  > height:450px;
                  > background-color:#FFFFFF;
                  > border-right:1px solid #000000;}
                  >
                  > In the original css the body-div "disappears" underneath the left.nav

                  Thanks! That really makes it clear. This makes the other browsers behave the
                  way that IE behave by default, and it makes IE work like the others.

                  I will have to remember this absolute value. I think it may help with some
                  other oddities.

                  One more tool in the belt!

                  THANKS!

                  Larry
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 22, 2003
                    Alice,

                    alice ttlg - koyaanisqatsi wrote:
                    > In your body class, specify padding, that puts whitespace inside the
                    > boxes.
                    >
                    > padding: 5px;
                    >
                    > will put 5px all the way around inside the box. Or specify only
                    > padding on the left inside of the box:
                    >
                    > padding-left: 5px;
                    >
                    > Mozilla, Opera and Netscape 7 follow web standards in regard to
                    > padding (white space inside the box) and margin (white space outside
                    > the box) but IE does not, it does strange things, so you just kind of
                    > have to play with it till you get something that looks decent in both
                    > IE and Mozilla.

                    Thanks for this tip! Your explanation of padding and margin really clarify
                    things.

                    THANKS!

                    Larry