Re: [NH] Multiple Browser CSS

  • jorigami
    Message 1 of 6 , May 22, 2003
      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Grant MacKenzie" <emerge@p...>
      wrote:

      > Give the html the right DOCTYPE and ie will stop behaving in quirks
      mode and
      > behave correctly like opera, mozilla i.e. with the right css1 box
      model

      For info on doctype switching, see
      http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html

      Note the Mac IE5 quirks mode with HTML 4.01 Strict without a URL.
      I can only wonder the reasoning behind that one.

      Jorma
    • lmh@hamiltongensociety.org
      Message 2 of 6 , May 22, 2003
        Grant,

        Quoting Grant MacKenzie <emerge@...>:

        > Give the html the right DOCTYPE and ie will stop behaving in quirks mode and
        > behave correctly like opera, mozilla i.e. with the right css1 box model

        D'oh! I copied the example from the site and plugged in my information, and
        forgot the DOCTYPE. Of the hundreds of HTML pages with that in their, this had
        to be the one I'd forget. As soon as I added it, IE seemed to be have minimal
        effect. I downloaded Mozilla at work, and that made a noticeable difference. I
        will check Opera when I get home.

        > And then what you need to apply is the tanteks infamous boxmodel hack
        > http://www.tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html
        > Also check out
        > http://glish.com/css/hacks.asp

        Thanks for the links. I will check them out.

        > > I think it is much cleaner than the current home page, and since there are
        > > no tables, it is much easier to modify.
        >
        > Like the new look,

        Thanks! Me too. I took some ideas from the new look and cleaned up the old page
        so that it is cleaner and easier on the eye.

        Larry
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 6 , May 22, 2003
          I have to confess that I haven't studied any of the many responses to this long thread (it's late, I'm pooped, I'm old, I'm horny, I'm tired, take yer pick of excuses) but going by Larry's original question here, I have to say what solved most of my margin/padding/cross browser web page problems, was to initially set ALL block element margin and padding values to zero in my stylesheet. Then I'll customize the margins/paddings on each page by calling a class to suit my needs for that page..

          John