html code for online website visitor

  • Jason McDowell
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2003
      hi all, I'm new to this group and i've noticed on quite a few
      websites that they have a box that gives a count of how many people
      are visiting that site at that time. like it will say visitors now=4
      visitors today=65 something along that line. Does anyone know a html
      code to put that on a website or a free program that offers that?
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2003
        Hi Jason,

        > hi all, I'm new to this group and i've noticed on quite a few
        > websites that they have a box that gives a count of how many people
        > are visiting that site at that time. like it will say visitors now=4
        > visitors today=65 something along that line. Does anyone know a html
        > code to put that on a website or a free program that offers that?

        I may be teaching you something that you already know.... if so forgive me!

        From what you say it appears that you think it's just a matter of writing
        the correct HTML. That's not so!

        Hit counters require some server-side activity. If your ISP does not
        provide you with a hit counter facility then you need you find someone that
        will. They will then provide the code that you need to paste into your own
        web pages which will allow the numbers to be displayed on your own site.

        I used to use http://www.thecounter.com but they started charging. Try a
        web search for "free hit counter" and see what you come up with!

        Greg