Re: [NH] Web Pages in Netscape

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
      At 09:11 2003.03.10, Ray Shapp wrote:
      >My webhost (HostCentric) does load tons of log info right onto our site, and
      >it is all readily available. A short excerpt is included below. For their
      >older accounts (like ours) they provide Urchin to view our logs, but I don't
      >see any indication of the browser types being used.

      Maybe it isn't configured that way. Below is an entry from a raw Apache
      log. Almost all fields are optional and can be disabled/enabled.

      217.208.32.57 - - [10/Mar/2003:10:54:30 +0100] "GET /violent/tomatazo.gif
      HTTP/1.1" 304 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)"

      If you can view the raw logs and they seem complete you could maybe run
      another log analyzer. If not ask your host if he can change the way the
      logging is configured.

      >Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
      >experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to collect
      >browser types using JS.

      Only you won't catch the ones that turn javascript off that way.

      >At this point it may be academic, because I get very
      >few complaints from NN users when I write for MSIE and check with Tidy

      I still say that writing for no one and fix the problems with browser bugs
      as they occur is the fastest and easiest. :-)

      Lotta
    • calamityjanenow
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003

        > >Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
        > >experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to
        collect
        > >browser types using JS.
        >
        > Only you won't catch the ones that turn javascript off that way.

        O I forgot, the cgi script uses javascript too.
        Karen
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
          Ray,

          The Mozilla part in your logs is the browser engine. If you have that type
          of information, you can get a clip to process the log file and calculate
          your results. While you can collect information via javascript, you would
          still need to forward it to the server via a cgi script.

          --

          Don Passenger

          If you need an html fix visit
          http://www.htmlfixit.com