Re: [NH] Web Pages in Netscape

  • jaydrake
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
      > logs dictate how far back I really need to go>>
      >
      > My estimate of my users' browser types is based on guestimate. Am I
      correct
      > in assuming that each ISP's log formats are unique? If not, can you
      suggest a
      > way for me to mine the logging data files for pertinent info such as
      browser
      > types? I was assuming I'd have to write some kind of Java script to
      create my
      > own log files.

      I would put a reasonable amount of faith in your ISP's server logs. While
      not 100% infallible, it's pretty darned close. Log format will be based on
      web server used, whether that be MS IIS, Apache or one of the other less
      used web servers out there. Beyond that the only thing that is unique is how
      the data is displayed and there are many different reporting systems that
      can be used on the bare logs. If you absolutely don't trust the logs you can
      always rely on a cgi script which collects user data and puts it into text
      files or a database of it's own. Personally, I wouldn't bother. Take what
      you've got and make your cutoff. It might hurt a small percentage of the
      visitors, but will be better for your other visitors which, while not 'fair'
      to that small percentage, is the way you need to go if you want 'success'
      from your site, be that sales or just more traffic.

      Jay Drake
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
        Hi Jay, David, Lotta, Karen.

        My webhost (HostCentric) does load tons of log info right onto our site, and
        it is all readily available. A short excerpt is included below. For their
        older accounts (like ours) they provide Urchin to view our logs, but I don't
        see any indication of the browser types being used.

        Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
        experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to collect
        browser types using JS. At this point it may be academic, because I get very
        few complaints from NN users when I write for MSIE and check with Tidy.

        The comments from this group have helped to settle these questions for me.
        Thank you.

        Ray Shapp

        *************sample log info below this line************
        <HEAD><META http-equiv="Expires" content="now">
        <SCRIPT Language="JavaScript">

        parent.cdelimiter = "|"
        parent.sClear();
        parent.sLoad("index.html",1114,1114,1114,0,1,0);
        parent.sLoad("cgi-bin/nph-count2",819,819,819,0,2,0);
        parent.sLoad("siteindx.htm",776,776,776,3,1,0);
        parent.sLoad("aaihome.htm",761,761,761,1,1,0);
        [snip]
        </SCRIPT></HEAD>
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
          At 09:11 2003.03.10, Ray Shapp wrote:
          >My webhost (HostCentric) does load tons of log info right onto our site, and
          >it is all readily available. A short excerpt is included below. For their
          >older accounts (like ours) they provide Urchin to view our logs, but I don't
          >see any indication of the browser types being used.

          Maybe it isn't configured that way. Below is an entry from a raw Apache
          log. Almost all fields are optional and can be disabled/enabled.

          217.208.32.57 - - [10/Mar/2003:10:54:30 +0100] "GET /violent/tomatazo.gif
          HTTP/1.1" 304 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)"

          If you can view the raw logs and they seem complete you could maybe run
          another log analyzer. If not ask your host if he can change the way the
          logging is configured.

          >Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
          >experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to collect
          >browser types using JS.

          Only you won't catch the ones that turn javascript off that way.

          >At this point it may be academic, because I get very
          >few complaints from NN users when I write for MSIE and check with Tidy

          I still say that writing for no one and fix the problems with browser bugs
          as they occur is the fastest and easiest. :-)

          Lotta
        • calamityjanenow
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003

            > >Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
            > >experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to
            collect
            > >browser types using JS.
            >
            > Only you won't catch the ones that turn javascript off that way.

            O I forgot, the cgi script uses javascript too.
            Karen
          • Don Passenger
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
              Ray,

              The Mozilla part in your logs is the browser engine. If you have that type
              of information, you can get a clip to process the log file and calculate
              your results. While you can collect information via javascript, you would
              still need to forward it to the server via a cgi script.

              --

              Don Passenger

              If you need an html fix visit
              http://www.htmlfixit.com