browser previews: back to basics

  • Kathy Jungjohann
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
      Installed latest version of NoteTab (4.92), and now when I preview a page
      in a browser window (right now IE6 is the primary browser selected), it
      opens a new window each time - tho bringing the original window to the
      fore. I can't seem to find any place in the options to make it always load
      into the open window. Hummh!

      (Must admit that at almost the same time I installed DSL and it did screw
      around with IE when it installed. Have since uninstalled it - my cable
      conn. was almost 4-times faster ... but perhaps DSL changed some of the IE
      settings.)

      Help!

      Kathy
    • jaydrake
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
        > logs dictate how far back I really need to go>>
        >
        > My estimate of my users' browser types is based on guestimate. Am I
        correct
        > in assuming that each ISP's log formats are unique? If not, can you
        suggest a
        > way for me to mine the logging data files for pertinent info such as
        browser
        > types? I was assuming I'd have to write some kind of Java script to
        create my
        > own log files.

        I would put a reasonable amount of faith in your ISP's server logs. While
        not 100% infallible, it's pretty darned close. Log format will be based on
        web server used, whether that be MS IIS, Apache or one of the other less
        used web servers out there. Beyond that the only thing that is unique is how
        the data is displayed and there are many different reporting systems that
        can be used on the bare logs. If you absolutely don't trust the logs you can
        always rely on a cgi script which collects user data and puts it into text
        files or a database of it's own. Personally, I wouldn't bother. Take what
        you've got and make your cutoff. It might hurt a small percentage of the
        visitors, but will be better for your other visitors which, while not 'fair'
        to that small percentage, is the way you need to go if you want 'success'
        from your site, be that sales or just more traffic.

        Jay Drake
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
          Hi Jay, David, Lotta, Karen.

          My webhost (HostCentric) does load tons of log info right onto our site, and
          it is all readily available. A short excerpt is included below. For their
          older accounts (like ours) they provide Urchin to view our logs, but I don't
          see any indication of the browser types being used.

          Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
          experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to collect
          browser types using JS. At this point it may be academic, because I get very
          few complaints from NN users when I write for MSIE and check with Tidy.

          The comments from this group have helped to settle these questions for me.
          Thank you.

          Ray Shapp

          *************sample log info below this line************
          <HEAD><META http-equiv="Expires" content="now">
          <SCRIPT Language="JavaScript">

          parent.cdelimiter = "|"
          parent.sClear();
          parent.sLoad("index.html",1114,1114,1114,0,1,0);
          parent.sLoad("cgi-bin/nph-count2",819,819,819,0,2,0);
          parent.sLoad("siteindx.htm",776,776,776,3,1,0);
          parent.sLoad("aaihome.htm",761,761,761,1,1,0);
          [snip]
          </SCRIPT></HEAD>
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
            At 09:11 2003.03.10, Ray Shapp wrote:
            >My webhost (HostCentric) does load tons of log info right onto our site, and
            >it is all readily available. A short excerpt is included below. For their
            >older accounts (like ours) they provide Urchin to view our logs, but I don't
            >see any indication of the browser types being used.

            Maybe it isn't configured that way. Below is an entry from a raw Apache
            log. Almost all fields are optional and can be disabled/enabled.

            217.208.32.57 - - [10/Mar/2003:10:54:30 +0100] "GET /violent/tomatazo.gif
            HTTP/1.1" 304 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)"

            If you can view the raw logs and they seem complete you could maybe run
            another log analyzer. If not ask your host if he can change the way the
            logging is configured.

            >Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
            >experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to collect
            >browser types using JS.

            Only you won't catch the ones that turn javascript off that way.

            >At this point it may be academic, because I get very
            >few complaints from NN users when I write for MSIE and check with Tidy

            I still say that writing for no one and fix the problems with browser bugs
            as they occur is the fastest and easiest. :-)

            Lotta
          • calamityjanenow
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003

              > >Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
              > >experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to
              collect
              > >browser types using JS.
              >
              > Only you won't catch the ones that turn javascript off that way.

              O I forgot, the cgi script uses javascript too.
              Karen
            • Don Passenger
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
                Ray,

                The Mozilla part in your logs is the browser engine. If you have that type
                of information, you can get a clip to process the log file and calculate
                your results. While you can collect information via javascript, you would
                still need to forward it to the server via a cgi script.

                --

                Don Passenger

                If you need an html fix visit
                http://www.htmlfixit.com