Re: [NH] Web Pages in Netscape

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      >My estimate of my users' browser types is based on guestimate. Am I correct
      >in assuming that each ISP's log formats are unique? If not, can you suggest a
      >way for me to mine the logging data files for pertinent info such as browser
      >types? I was assuming I'd have to write some kind of Java script to create my
      >own log files.

      No. There are a few formats but unique they are not. They are just text
      files that list a number of entries for each request that's made to the
      server. There are log analyzers that output nice statistics and pie charts
      from them, but they are humanly readable as they are.

      The question is rather if you have access to your logs. Does your host let
      you download raw log files or provide stats?

      Lotta
    • David
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
        Hi
        As far as I know ask whether you want them to be your default browser as
        soon as you set default it becomes your main browser . Go to options and
        Internet put your location of netscape into to the left side and your second
        choice into the right side .
        THANKYOU DAVE
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
          Installed latest version of NoteTab (4.92), and now when I preview a page
          in a browser window (right now IE6 is the primary browser selected), it
          opens a new window each time - tho bringing the original window to the
          fore. I can't seem to find any place in the options to make it always load
          into the open window. Hummh!

          (Must admit that at almost the same time I installed DSL and it did screw
          around with IE when it installed. Have since uninstalled it - my cable
          conn. was almost 4-times faster ... but perhaps DSL changed some of the IE
          settings.)

          Help!

          Kathy
        • jaydrake
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
            > logs dictate how far back I really need to go>>
            >
            > My estimate of my users' browser types is based on guestimate. Am I
            correct
            > in assuming that each ISP's log formats are unique? If not, can you
            suggest a
            > way for me to mine the logging data files for pertinent info such as
            browser
            > types? I was assuming I'd have to write some kind of Java script to
            create my
            > own log files.

            I would put a reasonable amount of faith in your ISP's server logs. While
            not 100% infallible, it's pretty darned close. Log format will be based on
            web server used, whether that be MS IIS, Apache or one of the other less
            used web servers out there. Beyond that the only thing that is unique is how
            the data is displayed and there are many different reporting systems that
            can be used on the bare logs. If you absolutely don't trust the logs you can
            always rely on a cgi script which collects user data and puts it into text
            files or a database of it's own. Personally, I wouldn't bother. Take what
            you've got and make your cutoff. It might hurt a small percentage of the
            visitors, but will be better for your other visitors which, while not 'fair'
            to that small percentage, is the way you need to go if you want 'success'
            from your site, be that sales or just more traffic.

            Jay Drake
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
              Hi Jay, David, Lotta, Karen.

              My webhost (HostCentric) does load tons of log info right onto our site, and
              it is all readily available. A short excerpt is included below. For their
              older accounts (like ours) they provide Urchin to view our logs, but I don't
              see any indication of the browser types being used.

              Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
              experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to collect
              browser types using JS. At this point it may be academic, because I get very
              few complaints from NN users when I write for MSIE and check with Tidy.

              The comments from this group have helped to settle these questions for me.
              Thank you.

              Ray Shapp

              *************sample log info below this line************
              <HEAD><META http-equiv="Expires" content="now">
              <SCRIPT Language="JavaScript">

              parent.cdelimiter = "|"
              parent.sClear();
              parent.sLoad("index.html",1114,1114,1114,0,1,0);
              parent.sLoad("cgi-bin/nph-count2",819,819,819,0,2,0);
              parent.sLoad("siteindx.htm",776,776,776,3,1,0);
              parent.sLoad("aaihome.htm",761,761,761,1,1,0);
              [snip]
              </SCRIPT></HEAD>
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
                At 09:11 2003.03.10, Ray Shapp wrote:
                >My webhost (HostCentric) does load tons of log info right onto our site, and
                >it is all readily available. A short excerpt is included below. For their
                >older accounts (like ours) they provide Urchin to view our logs, but I don't
                >see any indication of the browser types being used.

                Maybe it isn't configured that way. Below is an entry from a raw Apache
                log. Almost all fields are optional and can be disabled/enabled.

                217.208.32.57 - - [10/Mar/2003:10:54:30 +0100] "GET /violent/tomatazo.gif
                HTTP/1.1" 304 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)"

                If you can view the raw logs and they seem complete you could maybe run
                another log analyzer. If not ask your host if he can change the way the
                logging is configured.

                >Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
                >experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to collect
                >browser types using JS.

                Only you won't catch the ones that turn javascript off that way.

                >At this point it may be academic, because I get very
                >few complaints from NN users when I write for MSIE and check with Tidy

                I still say that writing for no one and fix the problems with browser bugs
                as they occur is the fastest and easiest. :-)

                Lotta
              • calamityjanenow
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003

                  > >Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
                  > >experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to
                  collect
                  > >browser types using JS.
                  >
                  > Only you won't catch the ones that turn javascript off that way.

                  O I forgot, the cgi script uses javascript too.
                  Karen
                • Don Passenger
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
                    Ray,

                    The Mozilla part in your logs is the browser engine. If you have that type
                    of information, you can get a clip to process the log file and calculate
                    your results. While you can collect information via javascript, you would
                    still need to forward it to the server via a cgi script.

                    --

                    Don Passenger

                    If you need an html fix visit
                    http://www.htmlfixit.com