Re: [NH] Web Pages in Netscape

  • Lewlinkous@cs.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 7, 2003
      In a message dated 3/7/2003 2:01:25 PM Central Standard Time,
      rayshapp@... writes:
      > Related question: I just downloaded and installed Netscape v7, but I don't
      > see how to give it the details for my dial-up ISP account. It will
      > interact
      > with the web only if I am already connected via my browser or my mail
      > client.

      I have the same problem. So far I have been using Netscape 7 by working
      offline with NoteTab. This is sufficient to get a page together. However, I
      also require help before my Netscape 7 will function as my preferred browser.
      TIA,
      Lew

    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 7, 2003
        Hi Jay,

        Thank you for or advice.

        <<when given the choice I let my server
        logs dictate how far back I really need to go>>

        My estimate of my users' browser types is based on guestimate. Am I correct
        in assuming that each ISP's log formats are unique? If not, can you suggest a
        way for me to mine the logging data files for pertinent info such as browser
        types? I was assuming I'd have to write some kind of Java script to create my
        own log files.

        Thanks again,

        Ray Shapp
      • calamityjanenow
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 7, 2003
          Hi Ray,
          I use a free cgi script from
          http://willmaster.com/master/alphainventory.shtml
          It makes a file I can download, but also adds to my site's logs. It
          has lots of info.
          Karen

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            >My estimate of my users' browser types is based on guestimate. Am I correct
            >in assuming that each ISP's log formats are unique? If not, can you suggest a
            >way for me to mine the logging data files for pertinent info such as browser
            >types? I was assuming I'd have to write some kind of Java script to create my
            >own log files.

            No. There are a few formats but unique they are not. They are just text
            files that list a number of entries for each request that's made to the
            server. There are log analyzers that output nice statistics and pie charts
            from them, but they are humanly readable as they are.

            The question is rather if you have access to your logs. Does your host let
            you download raw log files or provide stats?

            Lotta
          • David
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
              Hi
              As far as I know ask whether you want them to be your default browser as
              soon as you set default it becomes your main browser . Go to options and
              Internet put your location of netscape into to the left side and your second
              choice into the right side .
              THANKYOU DAVE
              > In a message dated 3/7/2003 2:01:25 PM Central Standard Time,
              > rayshapp@... writes:
              > > Related question: I just downloaded and installed Netscape v7, but I
              don't
              > > see how to give it the details for my dial-up ISP account. It will
              > > interact
              > > with the web only if I am already connected via my browser or my mail
              > > client.
              > >
              > I have the same problem. So far I have been using Netscape 7 by working
              > offline with NoteTab. This is sufficient to get a page together. However,
              > also require help before my Netscape 7 will function as my preferred
              browser.
              > TIA,
              > Lew

            • Kathy Jungjohann
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
                Installed latest version of NoteTab (4.92), and now when I preview a page
                in a browser window (right now IE6 is the primary browser selected), it
                opens a new window each time - tho bringing the original window to the
                fore. I can't seem to find any place in the options to make it always load
                into the open window. Hummh!

                (Must admit that at almost the same time I installed DSL and it did screw
                around with IE when it installed. Have since uninstalled it - my cable
                conn. was almost 4-times faster ... but perhaps DSL changed some of the IE
                settings.)

                Help!

                Kathy
              • jaydrake
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
                  > logs dictate how far back I really need to go>>
                  >
                  > My estimate of my users' browser types is based on guestimate. Am I
                  correct
                  > in assuming that each ISP's log formats are unique? If not, can you
                  suggest a
                  > way for me to mine the logging data files for pertinent info such as
                  browser
                  > types? I was assuming I'd have to write some kind of Java script to
                  create my
                  > own log files.

                  I would put a reasonable amount of faith in your ISP's server logs. While
                  not 100% infallible, it's pretty darned close. Log format will be based on
                  web server used, whether that be MS IIS, Apache or one of the other less
                  used web servers out there. Beyond that the only thing that is unique is how
                  the data is displayed and there are many different reporting systems that
                  can be used on the bare logs. If you absolutely don't trust the logs you can
                  always rely on a cgi script which collects user data and puts it into text
                  files or a database of it's own. Personally, I wouldn't bother. Take what
                  you've got and make your cutoff. It might hurt a small percentage of the
                  visitors, but will be better for your other visitors which, while not 'fair'
                  to that small percentage, is the way you need to go if you want 'success'
                  from your site, be that sales or just more traffic.

                  Jay Drake
                • Ray Shapp
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
                    Hi Jay, David, Lotta, Karen.

                    My webhost (HostCentric) does load tons of log info right onto our site, and
                    it is all readily available. A short excerpt is included below. For their
                    older accounts (like ours) they provide Urchin to view our logs, but I don't
                    see any indication of the browser types being used.

                    Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
                    experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to collect
                    browser types using JS. At this point it may be academic, because I get very
                    few complaints from NN users when I write for MSIE and check with Tidy.

                    The comments from this group have helped to settle these questions for me.
                    Thank you.

                    Ray Shapp

                    *************sample log info below this line************
                    <HEAD><META http-equiv="Expires" content="now">
                    <SCRIPT Language="JavaScript">

                    parent.cdelimiter = "|"
                    parent.sClear();
                    parent.sLoad("index.html",1114,1114,1114,0,1,0);
                    parent.sLoad("cgi-bin/nph-count2",819,819,819,0,2,0);
                    parent.sLoad("siteindx.htm",776,776,776,3,1,0);
                    parent.sLoad("aaihome.htm",761,761,761,1,1,0);
                    [snip]
                    </SCRIPT></HEAD>
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
                      At 09:11 2003.03.10, Ray Shapp wrote:
                      >My webhost (HostCentric) does load tons of log info right onto our site, and
                      >it is all readily available. A short excerpt is included below. For their
                      >older accounts (like ours) they provide Urchin to view our logs, but I don't
                      >see any indication of the browser types being used.

                      Maybe it isn't configured that way. Below is an entry from a raw Apache
                      log. Almost all fields are optional and can be disabled/enabled.

                      217.208.32.57 - - [10/Mar/2003:10:54:30 +0100] "GET /violent/tomatazo.gif
                      HTTP/1.1" 304 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)"

                      If you can view the raw logs and they seem complete you could maybe run
                      another log analyzer. If not ask your host if he can change the way the
                      logging is configured.

                      >Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
                      >experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to collect
                      >browser types using JS.

                      Only you won't catch the ones that turn javascript off that way.

                      >At this point it may be academic, because I get very
                      >few complaints from NN users when I write for MSIE and check with Tidy

                      I still say that writing for no one and fix the problems with browser bugs
                      as they occur is the fastest and easiest. :-)

                      Lotta
                    • calamityjanenow
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003

                        > >Karen, I may try that cgi script you suggested, but first, I'd like to
                        > >experiment with writing my own Java script. I just learned how to
                        collect
                        > >browser types using JS.
                        >
                        > Only you won't catch the ones that turn javascript off that way.

                        O I forgot, the cgi script uses javascript too.
                        Karen
                      • Don Passenger
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
                          Ray,

                          The Mozilla part in your logs is the browser engine. If you have that type
                          of information, you can get a clip to process the log file and calculate
                          your results. While you can collect information via javascript, you would
                          still need to forward it to the server via a cgi script.

                          --

                          Don Passenger

                          If you need an html fix visit
                          http://www.htmlfixit.com