permissions to save user settings

  • Dave MacEwan
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
      OK, this is my first post. Please don't hate me for using NoteTab Light.

      I have just installed NT Light 4.92 on Windows XP. None of my user settings are saved with the program even though I have opened all permissions on C:\Program Files\NoteTab Light folder and subfolders. I see that the settings are stored in the file NoteTab.ini, but apparently this file cannot be changed by any user.

      Thanks,

      Dave MacEwan
      New York State Dept of Transportation
      Region 9 GIS Coordinator
      Binghamton, NY
      dmacewan@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
        Hi Dave,

        >OK, this is my first post. Please don't hate me for using NoteTab
        >Light.

        You have 90 days, or else... haha

        >I have just installed NT Light 4.92 on Windows XP. None of my
        >user settings are saved with the program even though I have
        >opened all permissions on C:\Program Files\NoteTab Light folder
        >and subfolders. I see that the settings are stored in the file
        >NoteTab.ini, but apparently this file cannot be changed by any
        >user.

        You might try a new INI file. If you want to create a new INI
        file, close NoteTab and rename NotePro.ini found in its main
        folder (NoteTab.ini for Std/Light). Start up NoteTab and it will
        use its default settings actually creating the INI file when you
        shut it down. You may edit the INI file inside NoteTab. Simply
        save the file with an exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini or
        !NoteTab.ini) in front of it and restart NoteTab.
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
          Dave MacEwan wrote:
          > OK, this is my first post. Please don't hate me for using NoteTab Light.

          Don't apologize, most of us started with NoteTab Light and liked it features
          enough to buy Standard or Pro or both.

          > I have just installed NT Light 4.92 on Windows XP. None of my user
          > settings are saved with the program even though I have opened all
          > permissions on C:\Program Files\NoteTab Light folder and subfolders. I
          > see that the settings are stored in the file NoteTab.ini, but apparently
          > this file cannot be changed by any user.

          Is this WinXP Pro or Home? I have WinXP Home at home and I run into this for
          users that are limited users, rather than Administrator users.

          I have Win2k at work and have never had a problem, but I am a power user at
          work, which has almost all the rights as an administrator. I would suggest
          checking the type of user your account is on this PC. If it does not have
          the rights to edit ini files, you can expect this to be an issue.

          Larry
        • Dave MacEwan
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2003
            Still no luck - I am using XP Pro at work. I even tried setting the "Everyone" permission on NoteTab.ini to "Full Control" but the only user who could save any setup changes in noteteb.ini was the actual administrator.

            I did notice that one of the options allows you to save settings changes in the registry instead of the INI file. Maybe that is the next thing to try, and I think I can probably open the permissions on the right registry keys. Will post an update if this works.

            Thanks for the tips so far,
            Dave MacEwan
          • Warner
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2003
              I'm getting into this late, since I assumed someone else already
              said this...but did you save the modified ini file preceding it
              with "!", otherwise NoteTab will revert to the old ini file when
              it activates. Don't bother to answer since I learned this about
              a month ago from this group, and maybe it has nothing to do with
              your problem.
              Warner

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/