Re: [NH] Registry key for associating NTP with IE

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 21, 2003
      Mike, (Jason)

      > Try adding a subkey named 'command' with a default value of your
      > command string 'C:\... /INST etc'

      I thought this was *sure* to work but it seems to ignore the command string.

      Here's the *working* Default Html Editor (using WinWord and more
      complicated)

      ---
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
      Editor]

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
      Editor\shell]

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
      Editor\shell\edit]
      @="&Edit"

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
      Editor\shell\edit\command]
      @="\"C:\\ProgFileMSFT\\Microsoft Office\\Office10\\WINWORD.EXE\" /n /dde"
      "command"=hex(7):28,66,27,5e,56,6e,2d,7d,66,28,59,52,5d,65,41,52,36,2e,6a,69
      ,\

      57,4f,52,44,46,69,6c,65,73,3e,4c,26,72,66,55,6d,57,2e,63,47,2e,65,25,66,49,\
      34,47,7d,6a,64,20,2f,6e,20,2f,64,64,65,00,00

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
      Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec]
      @="[REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen(\"%1\")]"

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
      Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec\Application]
      @="WinWord"

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
      Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec\Topic]
      @="System"
      ---

      I first tried this - it opens Notetab but ignores the command parameters
      ---
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
      Editor\Editor Name]
      @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\""

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
      Editor\Editor Name\Command]
      @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\" /NS
      /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork"
      ---

      I tried emulating the:
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
      Editor\shell\edit] - but this one just complains that it can't find "&Edit"
      ----
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
      Editor\Editor Name]
      @="&Edit"

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
      Editor\Editor Name\Command]
      @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\" /NS
      /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork"
      ----

      Finally I tried to use [... shell ...] but this was totally ignored and
      using View Source just opened it in Notepad.
      ---
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
      Editor\shell]

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
      Editor\shell\Editor Name]
      @="&Edit"

      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
      Editor\shell\Editor Name\Command]
      @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\\\" /NS
      /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork"
      ---

      Any more suggestions (I hope)?

      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 21, 2003
        Hi Alec,

        >Any more suggestions (I hope)?

        (just 2 experiment) Yesterday I wrote a batch file with

        d:\programs\notetab\notepro.exe /ini=two

        which will start NoteTab with/using two.ini

        And then I referenced that .bat file from within the registry. It opens the correct NoteTab and ini but it does not get the source to view in the editor (too bad). (but, source does views for me when an exe is referenced) Evidently it (registry) must refer to an exe, not a .bat file.

        Unless someone comes up with something that works, if you really want to view source from a different ini Notetab then it looks to me two possibilities:

        1. that the 2nd NoteTab will need to be installed into a different directory than the other or first NoteTab (so as to eliminate optional ini commandline switch).

        2. Or, have you considered swapping ini's? That is, make your normal NoteTab startup with using the optional ini commandline switch. Then, when want view source, refer it to the other NoteTab that uses NotePro.ini so that an optional ini switch is not needed on the command line.

        --
        Regards. Alan.
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 21, 2003
          Alan, (Jason, Mike)
          Eureka! Your suggestion about the bat file led me to something that worked.

          I replaced the <file-spec> pointing to the actual execuatable with one that
          pointed to a shortcut whose target contains the desired parameters.

          so the key now contains:

          "C:\AlecStuff\Alec Toolbars\NtbWork.lnk" where NtbWork target="C:\Program
          Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /NS /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork

          Regards ... Alec
          > (just 2 experiment) Yesterday I wrote a batch file with
          >
          > d:\programs\notetab\notepro.exe /ini=two
          >
          > which will start NoteTab with/using two.ini
          <snip>
        • Mike H
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 22, 2003
            From: "Jason Waugh" <jwaugh26@...>

            > MH> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML Editor...
            >
            > Found that key too, and was never able to get that to work for
            > "view...source". All that did was make NoteTab the default when I
            > clicked the little "edit page" button in the toolbar in IE... not when
            > using View...Source.
            >
            > If what you did is working for you though, then that's a bonus!

            Jason;
            When you tried the above key, did you delete the

            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-... key?

            The presence of two keys may cause a conflict.... Also, I do not have the "edit page" button on my toolbar -- I "customized" it off
            because I don't use it.

            I think that Saturday I may do some experimentation -- after backing up the registry!

            BTW, Windows (and hence the registry) isn't supposed to recognize '.bat' files is it -- they are DOS files afterall -- but Alec's
            idea of pointing the registry to a '.lnk' shortcut file that holds the same information is great. Thanks, Alec!
          • Grant MacKenzie
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 22, 2003
              Hi
              It's a while ago since I did these are the reghacks I use.
              There a link some where on MSDN were I originally sourced this stuff.
              Normal reg hacking rules apply, backup first etc
              Normal check for long line wrapping in your email client warning applies.

              H=IE_EDIT
              ;IE Default to notetab as View Source editor
              ;^!ClearRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
              Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name
              ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View
              Source Editor\Editor Name="^$GetAppFileName$"
              ;
              ;This recreates the edit button in ie5+. Clears out Notepad Replace with
              Notetab
              ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
              Explorer\Default HTML Editor
              ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
              Explorer\Default HTML Editor\shell\edit=^$GetAppFileName$
              ;
              ;SHELL COMMANDS
              ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList
              ^!SaveRegValue
              HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\NoteTabPro\shell\edit\command=^$GetAppFi
              leName$ %1 REG_EXPAND_SZ
              ;Creates a Right click option to "Open with NoteTabpro" from explorer
              ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\NoteTabPro=Open with &NoteTabPro
              ^!SaveRegValue
              HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\NoteTabPro\Command=^$GetAppFileName$ %1
              ^!INFO Done