Re: [NH] Registry key for associating NTP with IE

  • Jason Waugh
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 21 6:59 PM
      Hi Mike,

      MH> I did as you suggested, Jason, but when I clicked on 'view source' I was rewarded with a message box that informed me that IE could
      MH> not find 'notepro.exe', even though I used cut'n'paste to enter the complete path into the new key. When I cleared this message box

      Works great for me, the only difference is I didn't use the path as
      cut and pasted, I used the short names version.
      e:\progra~1\noteta~1\notepro.exe - no quotes and no parameters and
      especially no spaces (tried that and got an error like yours)!!!

      MH> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML Editor...

      Found that key too, and was never able to get that to work for
      "view...source". All that did was make NoteTab the default when I
      clicked the little "edit page" button in the toolbar in IE... not when
      using View...Source.

      If what you did is working for you though, then that's a bonus!

      Jason Waugh
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 21 8:48 PM
        Mike, (Jason)

        > Try adding a subkey named 'command' with a default value of your
        > command string 'C:\... /INST etc'

        I thought this was *sure* to work but it seems to ignore the command string.

        Here's the *working* Default Html Editor (using WinWord and more
        complicated)

        ---
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
        Editor]

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
        Editor\shell]

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
        Editor\shell\edit]
        @="&Edit"

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
        Editor\shell\edit\command]
        @="\"C:\\ProgFileMSFT\\Microsoft Office\\Office10\\WINWORD.EXE\" /n /dde"
        "command"=hex(7):28,66,27,5e,56,6e,2d,7d,66,28,59,52,5d,65,41,52,36,2e,6a,69
        ,\

        57,4f,52,44,46,69,6c,65,73,3e,4c,26,72,66,55,6d,57,2e,63,47,2e,65,25,66,49,\
        34,47,7d,6a,64,20,2f,6e,20,2f,64,64,65,00,00

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
        Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec]
        @="[REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen(\"%1\")]"

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
        Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec\Application]
        @="WinWord"

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
        Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec\Topic]
        @="System"
        ---

        I first tried this - it opens Notetab but ignores the command parameters
        ---
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
        Editor\Editor Name]
        @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\""

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
        Editor\Editor Name\Command]
        @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\" /NS
        /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork"
        ---

        I tried emulating the:
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
        Editor\shell\edit] - but this one just complains that it can't find "&Edit"
        ----
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
        Editor\Editor Name]
        @="&Edit"

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
        Editor\Editor Name\Command]
        @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\" /NS
        /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork"
        ----

        Finally I tried to use [... shell ...] but this was totally ignored and
        using View Source just opened it in Notepad.
        ---
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
        Editor\shell]

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
        Editor\shell\Editor Name]
        @="&Edit"

        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
        Editor\shell\Editor Name\Command]
        @="\"C:\\Program Files\\AmbPF\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\\\" /NS
        /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork"
        ---

        Any more suggestions (I hope)?

        Regards ... Alec
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 21 9:39 PM
          Hi Alec,

          >Any more suggestions (I hope)?

          (just 2 experiment) Yesterday I wrote a batch file with

          d:\programs\notetab\notepro.exe /ini=two

          which will start NoteTab with/using two.ini

          And then I referenced that .bat file from within the registry. It opens the correct NoteTab and ini but it does not get the source to view in the editor (too bad). (but, source does views for me when an exe is referenced) Evidently it (registry) must refer to an exe, not a .bat file.

          Unless someone comes up with something that works, if you really want to view source from a different ini Notetab then it looks to me two possibilities:

          1. that the 2nd NoteTab will need to be installed into a different directory than the other or first NoteTab (so as to eliminate optional ini commandline switch).

          2. Or, have you considered swapping ini's? That is, make your normal NoteTab startup with using the optional ini commandline switch. Then, when want view source, refer it to the other NoteTab that uses NotePro.ini so that an optional ini switch is not needed on the command line.

          --
          Regards. Alan.
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 21 10:03 PM
            Alan, (Jason, Mike)
            Eureka! Your suggestion about the bat file led me to something that worked.

            I replaced the <file-spec> pointing to the actual execuatable with one that
            pointed to a shortcut whose target contains the desired parameters.

            so the key now contains:

            "C:\AlecStuff\Alec Toolbars\NtbWork.lnk" where NtbWork target="C:\Program
            Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /NS /INI=NoteProWork /INST=NoteProWork

            Regards ... Alec
            > (just 2 experiment) Yesterday I wrote a batch file with
            >
            > d:\programs\notetab\notepro.exe /ini=two
            >
            > which will start NoteTab with/using two.ini
            <snip>
          • Mike H
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 22 1:48 AM
              From: "Jason Waugh" <jwaugh26@...>

              > MH> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML Editor...
              >
              > Found that key too, and was never able to get that to work for
              > "view...source". All that did was make NoteTab the default when I
              > clicked the little "edit page" button in the toolbar in IE... not when
              > using View...Source.
              >
              > If what you did is working for you though, then that's a bonus!

              Jason;
              When you tried the above key, did you delete the

              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-... key?

              The presence of two keys may cause a conflict.... Also, I do not have the "edit page" button on my toolbar -- I "customized" it off
              because I don't use it.

              I think that Saturday I may do some experimentation -- after backing up the registry!

              BTW, Windows (and hence the registry) isn't supposed to recognize '.bat' files is it -- they are DOS files afterall -- but Alec's
              idea of pointing the registry to a '.lnk' shortcut file that holds the same information is great. Thanks, Alec!
            • Grant MacKenzie
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 22 12:39 PM
                Hi
                It's a while ago since I did these are the reghacks I use.
                There a link some where on MSDN were I originally sourced this stuff.
                Normal reg hacking rules apply, backup first etc
                Normal check for long line wrapping in your email client warning applies.

                H=IE_EDIT
                ;IE Default to notetab as View Source editor
                ;^!ClearRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
                Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name
                ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View
                Source Editor\Editor Name="^$GetAppFileName$"
                ;
                ;This recreates the edit button in ie5+. Clears out Notepad Replace with
                Notetab
                ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
                Explorer\Default HTML Editor
                ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
                Explorer\Default HTML Editor\shell\edit=^$GetAppFileName$
                ;
                ;SHELL COMMANDS
                ^!ClearRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList
                ^!SaveRegValue
                HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\NoteTabPro\shell\edit\command=^$GetAppFi
                leName$ %1 REG_EXPAND_SZ
                ;Creates a Right click option to "Open with NoteTabpro" from explorer
                ^!SaveRegValue HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\NoteTabPro=Open with &NoteTabPro
                ^!SaveRegValue
                HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\NoteTabPro\Command=^$GetAppFileName$ %1
                ^!INFO Done